I may have seen my last Maiden gig

Cornfed Hick said:
.... I haven't seen the latest tour, because it hasn't come to California (I saw the show last year, which likely had the same set design but only featured one song from the new album)...

Lights dim for Doctor Doctor; lights go out for opening mood music; fast-paced song to open the set; run through a mix of new songs and classics; painted backdrops to match the songs; Davey and Adrian will be situated at stage right; Steve and Janick at stage left; Bruce will stand on the monitors and run around the U-shaped riser that surrounds the stage, and generally jump around like a dervish; you'll never even see Nicko's face until the end, only his stuffed bear; set list will inevitably include Fear of the Dark, Hallowed and eponymous track, which is always the last song before the encore; Eddie puppet will show up at some point and fight with Janick; usually there will be another big Eddie setpiece like the giant mummy Eddie from World Slavery and SBIT tours; usually one surprise in the encore; Monty Python as house lights go up; and...scene.

Are you sure you haven't seen the latest tour?

SinisterMinisterX said:
Every junkie always says, "That's the last one." :innocent:

You make a good point :lol:

vomit said:
Well 100pounds = about $160.  A bargain. When Maiden plays I have to drive 12 hours round trip, get a room, and buy meals.  For the wife & I it is usually between $500-$700.  And it's money well spent.  I don't see a lot of bands, but I try not to miss Maiden.  You never know when they may be done. If they do the rumored "Greatest Hits"--Maiden England tour next year, I plan on bringing my boys (ages 8 & 5), so I will spend another $200.....but I want them to see the mighty Maiden before they hang it up!!!  To each their own....

You sir, are mental.

Black Wizard said:
The albums are formulaic as well. Most Maiden albums have stuck to the principle of short, fast song at the beginning with a big chorus that could possibly be released as a single (Aces High, Be Quick or Be Dead, Futureal, The Wicker Man, Wildest Dreams, Different World, The Final Frontier); then then the final song is much longer, an epic (Hallowed be thy Name, To Tame a Land, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Alexander the Great, Fear of the Dark, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, The Legacy, When the Wild Wind Blows).

Rubbish. While the maiden "sound" remains constant - basically led by Steve's bass lines, the albums have changed massively over the years. You can't listen to Powerslave and Final Frontier and say they follow the same pattern. The newer albums are way more biased towards epic tracks and more "progressive" sounds. I personally don't care much for the new sound but they're still putting out some decent songs if not albums.

Real World said:
I personally don't care much for the new sound but they're still putting out some decent songs if not albums.
Brave New World is fucking amazing. My favorite Maiden album. :wub:

Meh :p
Matter of Life & Death was a good album. The other albums since the reunion I've not been overly impressed with as a whole

Man, you're life must be a bitch.

I've seen Megadeth here for twice that, and that's considered cheap for a big act around here.

In all fairness, my son can pay twice as much as me to see a concert and still have 2 tees from it and money left over. Because I pay all the bills, where he lives, what he eats, electricity, internet, etc. So, if you live with your parents, its a lot easier to do that stuff.

Tell me about it. Sometimes, I long back for the days I still lived with my parents... and all the money I blew away back then.

Perun said:
Tell me about it. Sometimes, I long back for the days I still lived with my parents... and all the money I blew away back then.
What I miss most is the food... :wub:  Part-time work makes money a non-issue for me, but finding the time to make "real food" is a challenge.

Real World said:
Are you sure you haven't seen the latest tour?

Based on that comment, I'm guessing I wasn't too far off...  ;)

To RW's point, my description was based on the last few tours I've seen, all since the reunion.  They've all followed the same formula, at least with respect to the stage setup.  (Obviously, the AMOLAD tour had a noteworthy setlist.)  That formula is not too far off from the Powerslave tour set, either.  The Somewhere in Time tour did have some additional bells and whistles, as I recall -- though my memory is  foggy and I haven't seen a complete video recording of that tour -- but the basics were the same.  

Forostar said:
Maiden did different (both over the top and modest) stage shows in the past. It's true that there wasn't much change in the last couple of tours, but again: Maiden have done different stage shows.  Obviously, the setlist

I don't doubt that the stage setup was different during the Blaze years, when they were playing smaller venues and logisically couldn't follow the well-known setup.   :innocent:

Mega said:
Man, you're life must be a bitch.

I've seen Megadeth here for twice that, and that's considered cheap for a big act around here.
I'm glad I don't live where you live. I don't get out enough as it is ;)

That formula is not too far off from the Powerslave tour set, either.  The Somewhere in Time tour did have some additional bells and whistles, as I recall -- though my memory is  foggy and I haven't seen a complete video recording of that tour -- but the basics were the same.

Yes, they always did the classic setup with drum riser in the middle; eg they never did circular rotating stages and stuff, but all current tours keep the same scheme since TXF tour. SIT and SSOASS tour hat a lot of elaborate gimmicks, and shape-wise the stuff wasn't same as on POM and Powerslave tours. No Prayer and FOTD featured stripped down stages with cabinets, classic rock stuff.

They've become really lazy in every forgivable aspect - stage is, in essence, always the same, setlists became predictable, touring became predictable, they're on same schedule for the last 10 years, etc. People forgive that because new albums are really something, they aren't lazy when they come into studio.

I think that's it. Like it or not, the albums in the last 10 years have all been very different and adventurous but tour wise it's all a bit Deja-vu. Maybe that's why they've not played that song live for a while ;)

Back