I interrupt my work to bring forth this unbelievable GNR news

Genghis Khan

Ancient Mariner
Apparently Chinese Democracy is coming.  Not the country's government change, but even more unexpected -- Axl's new CD.  The first studio album since 1993.  I'll believe it when I see it in stores.  Until then...

Rock Hard
GUNS N' ROSES - Chinese Democracy Artwork, Tracklisting Revealed
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 08:32:54 EST

Bestbuy.com has revealed the following tracklisting and cover art ("Cover A" pictured) of GUNS N' ROSES' forthcoming album Chinese Democracy: 'Chinese Democracy', 'Scraped', 'Shackler's Revenge', 'Street Of Dreams', 'If The World', 'Better', 'This I Love', 'There Was A Time', 'Riad N' The Bedovins', 'Sorry', 'I.R.S.', 'Catcher', 'Madagascar', 'Prostitute'.

BestBuy.com launched a Chinese Democracy pre-order page yesterday at this location.

The album will be released on CD and vinyl format. Fans have a choice between three different CD and LP covers.

Universal Music Canada has confirmed that Chinese Democracy, will see the light of day on November 23rd - a rare Sunday release date rather than the usual Tuesday in North America.

Universal Australia have scheduled Chinese Democracy for both physical and digital release on November 22nd.

Source.

Perhaps this Dr. Pepper offer sweetened the deal for Axl.

This is the third "ultimate, definite, 100 per cent" release date I've read in the last two years. ;)

I've heard them too Perun, and even believed one about 2 years ago...

But it appears this may be the real deal, from what I've been hearing on Sirius. And the preorder page on the bestbuy site makes sense, since there are also rumors that the album will be a Best Buy exclusive in the US.

So I won't proclaim 100% confidence yet, but I'd call it 95%.

*yawn* Finally?  I only waited all my life minus three years...  I'm actually more interested to know how Dr. Pepper will deal with their offer. :D

Same here, Invader.  Many of the songs have been leaked over the internet.  I've heard several of them as recently as this summer and while the guitars are not nearly as good as with Slash, Axl remains in top form.

I was driving to work the other day (Wed, maybe?) and I heard a G n R song on, didn't recognize it, and then the DJ said that it was off the new Chinese Democracy cd that is coming out next month.  So, I guess that is cool.

Honestly, I was only half-way listening (my son was talking at the time).  But it was pretty good.  I didn't even know what I was listening to until the DJ said; I don't know a lot of songs off the last couple of GNR albums.  But, if that was indicative of the rest of the album, I think it'll be good.

Ok, yesterday I heard the title track off the new album.  I like it a lot.  Has anyone else heard the new song on the radio?

I don't typically listen to radio music, but I'll check out YouTube and see what I can find.  A few commercials during last nights hockey game featured the 'Chinese Democracy' album.  The hype is here.

Anyway, I've listened to the singles released and they're as I remember them when I heard the leaks last summer.  Nothing special.  Mundane.  The guitars are amateurish at best.  It took a decade and a half to come up with something like this???

The one single I heard on Rock Band was ok. It has potential, when it hits the chorus you think it's going to get better, but it's nothing more than a teaser.

I heard the whole album on radio today at midnight.  I wasn't really listening to it but it really didn't seem anything special.  I won't even be downloading it.

It... actually happened!  :blink:

Although the three songs I heard from the album so far weren't worth the wait or fuss.

Few bands can pull this sort of stunt and make the wait worth it. Tool achieved it with Lateralus after a 5 year hiatus...

It was really weird listening to the radio and hearing the DJ say "Chinese Democracy".  I never really imagined I'd actually hear the album.

I won't bother hearing the other songs.  They're as unmemorable as when I first heard them.  The album is 34th on the top 100, a far cry from AC/DC's or Metallica's albums upon debut.  The Chinese don't care to the criticisms of Axl either.

Beijing Brushes off Chinese Democracy

BEIJING (Reuters) - China gave short shrift to rockers Guns N' Roses' controversial new album "Chinese Democracy" on Tuesday, saying the music was bad and that they were not that popular anyway.
ADVERTISEMENT

The band's first album in 17 years was released on Sunday and its Geffen Records label has already said it thinks it unlikely to be approved for release in China.

"As far as I know, many people don't like this kind of music," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang told a news briefing. "It's too noisy and clamorous."

Formed in California in 1985, the band has sold over 100 million albums worldwide and won many international music awards. Their 1987 hit single "Sweet Child o' Mine" is frequently voted one of the great rock tracks of all time.

But their new album has drawn a furious response from some Chinese Internet users, who accused the band of trying to stir up ill will against China. Others were more balanced.

"Forgive them, they haven't been on top of the world for hundreds of years. It's tough to avoid becoming outdated," said one post on popular Chinese web portal Mop.com (www.mop.com).

The album is currently 34th in the Billboard Hot 100, according to the music chart website (www.billboard.com).

In one song, singer Axl Rose refers to members of the spiritual group Falun Gong, banned in China as an evil cult.

The artwork includes Beijing artist Shi Lifeng's 2008 oil painting "Red Star," which depicts the powerlessness of Chinese people in a state ruled by an iron fist. Photos of the Chinese military and the Hong Kong skyline also appear.

But the album is devoid of bad language or sexual references. That was not the case with the band's last release, which did slip through the net in China.

The two "Use Your Illusion" albums from 1991 were rife with violent sexual imagery, vicious insults, cursing and homicidal thoughts. They were distributed by Beijing-based Dunhuang.

Still, China's notorious copyright pirates may mean the last laugh could be on the Chinese government.

Beijing frequently bans films, books and songs, but they usually end up on street corners and in shops in pirated form.

Axl == idiot. These Chinese are even more idiotic if they respond. I don't like ruthless bashing of one country, especially if you dedicate whole album to that cause.

There are always two sides on the coin.

Genghis Khan said:
"As far as I know, many people don't like this kind of music," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang told a news briefing. "It's too noisy and clamorous."

Then he doesn't know much.

But their new album has drawn a furious response from some Chinese Internet users, who accused the band of trying to stir up ill will against China. Others were more balanced.

"Forgive them, they haven't been on top of the world for hundreds of years. It's tough to avoid becoming outdated," said one post on popular Chinese web portal Mop.com (www.mop.com).

The Chinese are quite early risers. The album title has been announced for, what, 17 years now? There has even been a Chinese Democracy World Tour already.
Plus, why is the Chinese government so upset? I thought China referred to itself as a democracy...

But the album is devoid of bad language or sexual references. That was not the case with the band's last release, which did slip through the net in China.
The two "Use Your Illusion" albums from 1991 were rife with violent sexual imagery, vicious insults, cursing and homicidal thoughts. They were distributed by Beijing-based Dunhuang.

The bands last release was was The Spaghetti Incident?, which stirred controversy not for language, but for a song originally written by Charles Manson.

I don't like ruthless bashing of one country, especially if you dedicate whole album to that cause.

He's not bashing the country, but its government. And only the title track is actually doing so, so he is hardly dedicating an entire album to that cause.

Anybody know what Axl's reaction to the overwhelmingly negative reception of the album is?

Perun said:
Anybody know what Axl's reaction to the overwhelmingly negative reception of the album is?

I'm guessing disdain for the population at large, for not understanding or appreciating his music?

So, ok, I really don't mind the album.  It won't ever make it into my top 100, and isn't as good as Appetite or the Illusion albums, but it isn't so horrible.  I think GK's line about 'not memorable' is pretty on-- nothing will stick in my head, but I can listen to it.

Back