I have all of the studio albums. What now?

There's also no need to rush either.  Back when I was first getting into Maiden it was way before the internet and whatnot, and as a youngster I could only muster up enough money to buy a new album every 4-5 months or so.  Shoot, when I got Somewhere in Time (as a Christmas present in 1991) it was the only album I listened to until May.  Take your time to enjoy the music, live it, breathe it.  That was my road to Maiden fandom.....

I would get all the live cds you can get.  Also The Early Days and Live After Death DVD's are a must have.  The BD solo cds are great also especially the last 3 as mentioned earlier.

I would go for Rock In Rio  :ok:

Live After Death is musically very good, but Bruce's vocals let it down a bit. He is pretty awful in some of the songs on LAD.

Teddie said:
I would go for Rock In Rio  :ok:

Live After Death is musically very good, but Bruce's vocals let it down a bit. He is pretty awful in some of the songs on LAD.

Rock in rio's a good album but Live after Death is the best live album recorded by any band ever the "awful " id call real vocals make it even better imo anyway.

as has already been said live after death is a must,i have had this on lp then tape then cd and now have the dvd always go back to it love this album.rock in rio and donnington would be my next choices :edmetal:

Live After Death is essential, after that Rock In Rio is a decent addition. Flight 666 - The Soundtrack, Death On The Road and Live At Donington are worthwhile also.

If you'd rather stick with studio material, Dickinson's solo albums are solid too.  Particularly Accident Of Birth and The Chemical Wedding which both feature Adrian Smith. 

Also try and track down a copy of the Virus single, one of the better Blaze era tracks and interesting due to the fact that both guitarists of the period, (Murray & Gers) share writing credits for the song along with Harris & Bayley.  If memory serves correctly, it's the only "proper" song (B-side novelty tracks excluded) from the group's catalogue where more than 1 of the guitarists share a songwriting credit. 

I understand all the praise for Live After Death, but I really urge you guys to give Beast Over Hammersmith another listen. It's everything that Live After Death is, and more.

LAD is great for historical reasons - but performance is nothing compared to RiR.

If you're looking to purchase DVDs, get either LAD or Early Days. With LAD, you're going to get RiR '85 performance and some extras (Behind The Iron Curtain, Texas '83). With Early Days you have Beast Over Hammersmith, Live At Marquee and Dortmund 1983

Perun said:
I understand all the praise for Live After Death, but I really urge you guys to give Beast Over Hammersmith another listen. It's everything that Live After Death is, and more.

It's an awesome live set, but you need to purchase Eddie's Archive to get it which is quite pricey.  That's why I suggested other releases in my initial post... :)

For me live after death Beats Hammersmith purely on material not that hammersmiths not a great album (by the way i picked up all 3 eddies archive cds seperatly i presume there real but you never know )

Forostar said:
Not only historical reasons. The songs!
In that case, Flight 666 wouldn't be a bad one to get then? It has all the Powerslave songs, as well as other gems, such as Moonchild, and Wasted Years, to name a few. And the performances are better I think. The only problem is LAD is one show, Flight 666 spans the whole tour. But I don't think that hurts it too much.

Mosh said:
And the performances are better I think.

I don't think so. They're pretty equal or on LAD even better (apart from a few lesser Bruce vocals, but as a group performance, the music on LAD stands very strong).

LAD and Flight 666 song differences:

LAD
1. Flight of Icarus
2. Running Free
3. Wrathchild
4. 22 Acacia Avenue  
5. Children of the Damned
6. Die With Your Boots On
7. Phantom of the Opera

Flight 666
1. Wasted Years  
2. Can I Play with Madness
3. Heaven Can Wait
4. Fear of the Dark
5. Moonchild
6. The Clairvoyant

I find the choice easy: LAD has more interesting songs, and performances.
I love Flight of Icarus (also Running Free) and these Hammersmith recordings are some of the best Maiden performances.

I have seen and heard live versions of all the Flight 666 songs on earlier releases, where most songs from LAD made their "debut". I find that more special.

Well I'm not saying the ones on LAD are bad. I just find Flight 666 to be a bit better. I suppose it's Bruce's improved vocals that make it better to me.

As far as the songs go, there aren't really any songs on either disc that make its album better. Actually, I'll just do this:

LAD
1: Flight of Icarus-I like that song too, but the live versions, not so much. Not just this one, but all of them. I didn't miss it in '05.
2: Running Free-Great if you're at the concert, but I'd rather be listening to Maiden play music, then Bruce talking to the crowd
3: Wrathchild-Overplayed.
4: 22 Acacia Avenue-This is actually a good one. I really enjoy this version.
5: Children of the Damned-I like the song, but in my opinion, there isn't anything special about this version.
6: Die With Your Boots On- Similar to Flight of Icarus, but I really liked seeing it in 03 and 05.
7: Phantom of the Opera-This one is good too, especially with Bruce's vocals and Adrian's addition and guitar solos.

Look, I have school so I'll finish this post later.

Back