I hate Newfoundland

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
As some of you know, I recently moved to the city of St. John's, Newfoundland last week to persue my Master's degree in history. I have to say, this place is absolutely messed up.

They sell beer in gas stations, but not grocery stores. Isn't that asking for drunk driving?

The streets change names for no apparent reason other than to be messed up. You'll be walking on "Portugal Cove Rd." and all of a sudden, once you pass a little corner store, it's called "Quidi Vidi Lane" or something.

The people talk with some weird bastardization of an Irish accent. The further you get from the city (there's only one on the island) the worse it gets. And since there's nothing for anyone to do in the hinterland, everyone moves tot he city anyway. This means that most of the accents are thicker than a litre of frozen molasses. The Irish accent is melodic and somewhat pleasant to listen to. This weird offshoot in Newfoundland, though, makes you want to rip out the speaker's tongue and kick the him in the head until his ears bleed. My roommates from India and Mexico speak better English than 94% of the people here.

Aside from the university campus (which I'll admit is quite a nice place), this place makes West Virginia look cosmopolitan. The place is so Irish and English that the nearest thing to "Eastern Culture" they have is a chinese restaurant run by a retired fisherman.

They're mean to any Canadian not from Newfoundland. Hell, I bet some wouldn't even call themselves Canadian. I keep thinking I should carry my passport with me whenever I leave the campus.

The list could go on, but I need to go buy some overpriced food for breakfast.

Well, can't say as I knew that about us Newfoundlanders. I've never known us for being mean to peole outside of Newfoundland, (I thought our stereotype was stupid but nice :D) but since I live in only live in a small town with few people outside of Newfoundland living in it I can't back that up, (there's probably a difference between the way retired people, a large portion of my community, and college people treat people from the rest of Canada). According to wikipedia, we have three cities, St. John's, Mount Pearl and Corner Brook. I do remember bringing a map with me to St. John's, so the roads probably are pretty, messed up over there. Since I never lived putside of Newfoundland, I can't compare the price of our food to that of everywhere else so I guess if you say it's overpriced compared to that in Nova Scotia then I guess it is. [joke]Now I hope you could understand all that through my horrible accent.[/joke]

I didn't mean to be as nasty as my original post reads....sorry 'bout that.

Mount Pearl is just a suburb of St. John's, from what I've seen of the place it's a bedroom community.
Corner Brook is more of a large town than a real city. The fjord there is kinda neat though.

IronDuke said:
I didn't mean to be as nasty as my original post reads....sorry 'bout that.

Mount Pearl is just a suburb of St. John's, from what I've seen of the place it's a bedroom community.
Corner Brook is more of a large town than a real city. The fjord there is kinda neat though.
No worries, no offence taken. As for Mount Pearl and Corner Brook, I was pretty sure that Mount Pearl was considered part of St. John's and I wasn't sure about the status of Corner Brook, so I just agreed with wikipedia.

Wicker Man said:
According to wikipedia, we have three cities, St. John's, Mount Pearl and Corner Brook.

I love sentences like these...

Back