Humanism

Kynisk Sokol

Ancient Mariner
Humanism is death disguised as life. When you are a humanist, you think only of humans. You see the world as existing only for human consumption. It is more important to save every life than to produce better beings, in your view. You think any death is a tragedy.

This sort of thinking is antiquated. While it is delusional under any circumstance, it was allowed to flourish because of the wealth of humanity. Now it is obsolete. Since we have polluted our oceans and air, overused land, overpopulated the earth with excess humans, killed off many natural species, destroyed most forests, and paved almost everything else, we are no longer able to be concerned with humans. We are on the verge of destroying our environment and the primary cause is that we're too humanistic to restrict our own numbers.

"You can't do that," they say. "Because everyone has the right to freedom, and to buy whatever they can, and to build a house, and eat whatever they can, and... and..." It's a neverending list of wants. Everyone wants to look like the good guy who tells us all that we can have whatever we want. But that's an illusion, and they know it, but they don't care. They're only thinking about themselves, while they claim to be thinking about others; it makes them feel good to tell us we can have whatever we want, it makes them feel good to "care" about others, to cry over any death, etc.

That behavior has turned humanity into a cancer. Seven billion and no end in sight. Can't eat fish more than once a week because it's toxic with heavy metals. Where did the forests go? Well, we can have a fun drive down the pavement, surrounded by signs advertising cheap consumer goods, and then we can go someplace and buy something. It's this "freedom" that keeps us equal. The logic behind all of this is humanism. Humanism pleases the crowd. It justifies itself as "equality." All of the people out there who cannot do anything useful, and therefore fear someone will tell them what to do, love equality. They are addicted to it. They crowd into spaces, breed out of control, eat all the food, and never think about the consequences. Why? They are mediocre.

Anti-Humanism is a belief system for those who think humans are not the entirety of what we should be considering. We want to live on as a species, and we realize that requires thinning the herd. Problem: conventional morality, aka humanism, is totally opposed to that. Answer: do away with the obsolete morality, and slaughter the 90% of our species who do nothing productive and never will. Breed better humans, and fewer of them, and then some humans live on instead of all of us facing certain death because of the stupidity of the humanists.

I think you're working with a much different version of "humanism" than most of the English-speaking world, my friend.
Humanism is simply a way of thought in which all beings have inherent and natural rights, dignity, and worth. It does not privilige humans over the natural world, it encourages us to see the environment as central to our lives.
There are two main "strains" of humanism, both having these central tenets:
Religious humanism, in which people believe that God has endowed people with inherent "divine" properties which give everyone the ability to learn, think, and understand. They'd agree with Plato's famous line "The world is God's epistle to mankind."

Secular humanism, on the other hand, is a way of replacing religion with "beliefs" based upon observable facts. The morality from this kind of humanism derives from reason, evidence, and fundamental justice. Removing God doesn't make them immoral just sees morality as being natural, not divine (statistically, they actually commit fewer violent crimes per capita than any other group in the United States).

The self-centred "humanism" you describe is little more than the modern "consumer." The consumer, contrasted to the citizen, is never altruistic, does not care what damage he does to the environment (he won't be around, after all), and doesn't care about the social (or even long-term economic) harms his quest for short-term economic gains have.

Don't lump humanists into that group, please. Humanists are actually more likely to be aware of the fact that one has to consciously make the choice to accept that philosophy (instead of following their parents' religion), and are thus more likely to have thought about the world around them.

I wouldn't want to get drawn too deeply into this discussion, but I just have to say that thinking it is ok to slaughter 90% (or indeed, any amount) of humanity is just plain disturbed.  I'm afraid to say I can not relate with this kind of person, or his/her values.  I care for the environment and I don't want to destroy it, but mass genocide is, to me, simply a horrid thought, and not an answer to environmental problems. 

Invader said:
I just have to say that thinking it is ok to slaughter 90% (or indeed, any amount) of humanity is just plain disturbed.

When you stop thinking in terms of "rights" and "freedoms" and other individualistic, moralizing nonsense. You start thinking in terms of practical survival of your species. You open your mind to the possibility that most people are stupid and useless and that, if we terminate them, we will notice absolutely zero loss and no one of importance will care. You stop thinking of the world as a place ordained by God for human consumption. You stop worrying about what you want and start focusing on what you need. You'll find the this category is much smaller, and far less destructive.

Invader said:
I care for the environment and I don't want to destroy it, but mass genocide is, to me, simply a horrid thought, and not an answer to environmental problems.

Less morons around mean less resources are consumed. And I'm not some "bloodthirsty maniac", after all, if we don't fix something we all die. Which would you rather have: a few smart survivors, or all of us die for humanistic equality? Oh, and don't try "You're a Nazi/Communist/Asshole". It's a typical reaction when people cannot understand arguments, they use broad meaningless classifications to try to defeat the other party. It won't work. When the food wars start, no one is going to care about your moral pretense.

Oh dear...

It's this "individualistic, moralizing nonsense" that keeps humanity from descending in to total chaos and anarchy.  If everyone went around killing people for their own benefit, society coudn't function.  Not even with the "useful" 10%.  I can't really call that "practical survival of my species".  There are better ways of dealing with current problems than genocide. 

If you support this killing, then I assume you are able to kill a person.  I've heard of killing for politics, killing for ideals, killing for religion, killing for your country, but killing for the survival of the human race? 

And if you're so willing to sort people into "useful people" and "morons", then go ahead, define who is "useful"...  But tell me, who has the authority to decide this?  And who will pull the trigger?

Of course, you'll just call me a moralistic/idealistic asshole for that, but I don't care.  Better that than a cold-blooded killer.

Blackie: shut the fuck up. You're full of repugnant shit. You don't know what "humanism" is; in fact, it appears that you don't know what you're talking about. Try getting your philosophy somewhere besides anus.com.

Most importantly, stop trolling this forum. You had to know that posting something as extremely disgusting and stupid as "kill 90% of all humans" would only raise a shitstorm. I'm leaving the thread open for the moment but watching it closely. Any more bullshit and it gets closed.

Let me make this very clear, Blackie:
I know that you're intelligent enough to tell when you're trolling. Do it again and I'll ban your sorry ass.

Notice the correlation between the article on trolling and this article. Anyways, I've had my fun. You know I can't be serious about this now, can I?
laugh.gif
After all, since this is the internet, you can't expect someone to truly embrace this mindset, eh? I'll stop my charade now, k?

Much better. :bigsmile:

And if my statements above seemed particularly humorless, allow me to offer the explanation that I had just gotten home from work - at a new warehouse job which leaves my whole body sore after every day. So I was in no mood for bullshit. Perhaps I can tolerate some nonsense from people that routinely post nonsense, but when I see nonsense from someone I know to be intelligent it raises my hackles.

Now let's turn this thread to a more entertaining, yet related topic:

If you were to establish standards for what makes a person stupid, what would those standards be?

My nomination:
People who drive around with loaded weapons in their car (police and military excepted).

I was about to accuse Black Dragon of trolling...

Definition of Stupid: "I don't need an education, I'll just go on welfare."

Genghis Khan said:
Definition of Stupid: "I don't need an education, I'll just go on welfare."

Here in Ireland, the people on welfare think the people who work for money are stupid. I guess it goes either way. Unsurprisingly, these people usually spend their limited welfare money on cheap alcohol, get locked and cause a nuisance for us all. And since St. Patrick's Day is coming up, I can expect more of this nonsense in a large volume. This holiday is becoming more and more of a annoyance to us here. No wonder why I'm always reluctant to say to people that I'm Irish.

Black Dragon said:
Here in Ireland, the people on welfare think the people who work for money are stupid. I guess it goes either way. Unsurprisingly, these people usually spend their limited welfare money on cheap alcohol, get locked and cause a nuisance for us all. And since St. Patrick's Day is coming up, I can expect more of this nonsense in a large volume. This holiday is becoming more and more of a annoyance to us here. No wonder why I'm always reluctant to say to people that I'm Irish.
Sadly I notice this too, in some people that I know. One case in particular has been doing nothing over the last four years of his life except collecting the dole, sitting around at home, and getting drunk each weekend, if he has enough left. This has pissed off most of his friends, who are trying to get him to do something constructive with his life, to the extent of giving him money to buy some decent clothes to wear to an interview. Where did this money go to though? Getting pissed at the weekend. As a result of this, he is now none too popular with those particular guys anymore, who were his best friends a while ago.

I know that was slightly off topic, but whatever. :p

Black Dragon said:

I don't usually quote Immanuel Kant, but in this case his statement "what if everybody acted like that" would be relevant here.  What if everyone thought that working for money was stupid.  I can imagine the best minds surviving on simple subsistance, while the dumb and the drunk would die off.  Hmm... is this the unexpected solution to your original trolling question.  :p

By the way, I had no idea you were Irish.  Your secret was well kept, until now.  :D

IronDuke said:
Let's get one thing straight here and now, Onhell.

The Irish are NOT human.

Ever wonder if they think the same about us? :p

Seriously, though, it's not like this welfare-abuse idea is exclusive to Ireland...

Heh, there was an article in the newspaper today that claimed that only the Irish get drunk more often than the finns.  :innocent:  Completely irrelevant, but it seemed suited to this thread  :halo:

Back