How do you listen?

Wasted, you must be drunk or something. There's almost no bass on AJFA. It's more likely your subwoofer was moaning in displeasure at being ignored.

And while I'm on the subject ... and yes I know this is the wrong thread but I don't care ... Robert Trujillo is an AWESOME bassist. Check out his work on the Infectious Grooves albums. He has chops coming out the wazoo. He is a genuine motherfucker. And it is therefore a freaking CRIME that his basslines were both (mostly) boring and buried in DM. If they do another album, someone needs to tell Hetfield to let Trujillo fucking play.

It must be some kind of "new bassist" syndrome that Metallica has.  I haven't listened to Load, Reload, and St. Anger that much though, is there any bass on those albums?

SinisterMinisterX said:
Wasted, you must be drunk or something. There's almost no bass on AJFA. It's more likely your subwoofer was moaning in displeasure at being ignored.

That could be, I seemed to remember some 'thump' coming out, tho.  I'll have to go home and play some to see if I am mis-remembering it.

LooseCannon said:
I tend to use my 5.1 system.

What type of setting do you use on the 5.1?  I usually watch movies with 'enhanced', but when listening to music, I use the '5-channel stereo' setting.

Wasted155 said:
I notice that lots of people here are listening through headphones, especially on first listen.  Is this because you feel more 'into' the music, because listening over speakers allows too much distraction, or because you can't play it loudly enough?

I haven't listened to much over headphones for a while.

Most important reason: I can hear the details better with headphones. The whole "stereo" spectrum flows better into my brain like this. ;-)

Just to profit as much as possible from the first listening experience. I also like loud music but playing music loud or going to concerts I find a different kind of experience.

Wasted155 said:
I notice that lots of people here are listening through headphones, especially on first listen.  Is this because you feel more 'into' the music, because listening over speakers allows too much distraction, or because you can't play it loudly enough?

I haven't listened to much over headphones for a while.

All of those reasons, plus I get to hear more subtle nuances over the headphones.

I'm looking for a docking station with speakers for my Ipod.Can anyone recommend one .I was looking at a fatboy but someone talked me out of it.It must be able to handle most kinds of metal music

OK, this sounds comercial, but the Bose Sound Dock II sounded great (heard one at a friends)-- if you are looking for just a dock with speakers.  It was $299 (american) last I saw.  Has great sound to it!

I"m actually looking at a dif receiver (yamaha) with an ipod port and a dock, so I can play the tunes through my stereo (tho, using the optical through the sound output on my mac works well too).

Thanks for the info the Bose is on my list. Shops used to have rooms where you could try before you buy, but I can't find any where I live.

You live in the states?  Target has the bose and a few others where you can try them.

Wasted155 said:
It was $299 (american) last I saw.
So that would be GBP299. If its not that now, it soon will be the way the pound is slipping. ;)

Wasted155 said:
You live in the states?
And I have a hunch, just a hunch mind, that Mr Kopfanatic is a Liverpudlian. No idea where I got that from. :D

The iPod Hi-Fi works really good.  They're not made anymore but I use one and it's amazing.

Back