How do you like Dennis Strattons impact on Maiden?

Dick Brucinson

Bruce Dolci
What do you personally think of Dennis Strattons input to Maiden? Quite underrated I'd say, and since the first solo in Strange World is him, I must say: One of the greatest Maiden moments was created by him. His playing surely was never as heavy as it should have been in terms of Maidens later style, but he definitely set a nice contrast to Davey as they differed drastically to each others playing, and that's only one the reasons I still keep enjoying listening to their debut the same way I did in 1985 when I first heard it as a ten year old kid. Last not least Dennis seems a really nice and friendly bloke.

Talented player, but I barely listen to the debut so I can't say that I've paid any real attention to him throughout the years.

Adrian was probably the better option in the long run, but nothing against Dennis playing in the Killers album and tour. Probably wrong type of player for Maiden (then again, what is right), but they were in such a hurry to find another guitarist before going to the studio to record the debut album that they basically hired someone good enough to play.

Sacked for not wanting to spend 24/7 with the rest of the band on tour, listening to different type of music and showing a bit too much interest in studio work however never quite understandable reasons to give the boot (for me anyway). I just reckon him and Steve didn´t really get along from the get go. But no point speculating and mellowing on "drama" things that happened some 44-45 years ago more than that (at least from my part).

Last edited:
For me Dennis was just one of many musicians during their pub days, but he was lucky to be there when they recorded their first album, their first video, did their first headlining gigs in the UK and their first European tour. I think he did a good job. But he was clearly not tr00 enough for Steve and Rod, as well as he is a few years older than Steve.

I'd be fine with them giving Dennis some room for songwriting and arrangements on the first or second album. He had some great songs on Lionheart's Hot Tonight album back in 1984.

Back