Historical Figures 20 Questions

Ok, so this person was a British officer with an influence on a ruler in some fashion.

Was this British officer's influence in the UK?

Wasted CLV said:
Was this British officer's influence in the UK?

15.  Yes.  And no.

Let me quantify this statement.  This person's career had three varying stages.  In stage 1 and 3, this person was primarily a British officer and a contemporary of Admirals Jervis and Nelson.  In stage 2, this person did something similar to being a head of state, but not equal to it.

During Stage 1 and 3, he was in Britain, or directly working with Britain.  In stage 2, his influence was definitely elsewhere.

LooseCannon said:
6. Not technically, but this person served in a similar but non equal capacity.
Judging by that answer and the fact that you asked us to go back to this, I was going to ask this question.....

16. Was this person a Governor of a British colony?

But Forostar beat me to this and proposed a name as question 16. So, would it be wrong of me to ask this as question 17? Foro could be right, but if he is not....

Albie, let's say your question is 17?

If he's not the person of 16 then is he
18. William Carr Beresford?

Sorry Albie (and others) but I was spending quite some time on it, so I wanted to ask this next question before anyone else does. Hope that's allowed and OK.
It's my final attempt.
:)

Hm... so many british colonies, so few questions.  not to LC, but to anyone else:  are you thinking from the indies?

I'll give you two more hints.

1. This person held the rank of Admiral.

2. This person was the first governor of their particular colony.

Arthur Philip?  Born after 1730, but before 1780, was the first Gov of South Wales, first colony in Australia.

Well, a few questions back, I was thinking about trying to 'zero in' on the location... but yeah, it wasn't easy!

I believe some of the ones I mentioned also fit the earlier descriptions, perfectly.

Well Wasted try to make it that hard again.  :)

Forostar said:
I believe some of the ones I mentioned also fit the earlier descriptions, perfectly.

I suppose I don't think so, I thought you were rather getting further away with some of the guesses.  But we all learned about some new people, and that's the name of the game.

Back