Here's an idea to reduce illegal music downloads:

A

Anonymous

Alright folks,

I'm a really big Maiden fan. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a way of being a bigger Maiden fan than I am. I have so much devotion to Maiden's music that I don't think there's any way of increasing that.
Therefore, I'm always ashamed of myself when I notice how many albums I lack. As a matter of fact, I only have 7 albums, 3 DVD's, 4 singles. and 2 EPs.
Why do I lack that many albums?
Because I lack the resource necessary to obtain them: Money.
Today, I decided that, after my English exam, I could reward myself for standing through the final exams with all the ups and downs.
So, I decided I wanted to by Piece Of Mind.
Remembering that Maiden albums -with the exception of Dance Of Death and, of course, the Live albums- cost €9,99 at a big German grocery/CD Store chain, I thought "Well, I've got enough money, I guess I can afford that."
I got to the store, flipped through the CD's under "Iron Maiden" and, sure bet, found Piece Of Mind (which is not obvious there). I saw the price: €15,33
I flipped through the CDs believing it was mislabelled and hoped to find a correctly labelled copy. I saw that all others were correctly labelled, at one price: €16,99!
I rushed through the city to the other store of the chain there, hoping that this one was mistaken. I flipped through the CDs there. Again, uniform price, €16,99, with three exceptions: Brave New World, €9,99, The X-Factor, €9,99, Edward The Great, €12,99.
WTF? I went to a vendor and asked about it. He checked it and confirmed that the price was correct. He explained to me that the record company had changed the price on Maiden's back catalogue. Those priced at €9,99 were leftovers, and I decided to get the last reasonably-priced album I haven't got, The X-Factor.
This will most likely be the last Maiden album I bought new.
I DO NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY! I cannot afford buying the Maiden albums I lack for that price!
Now, I wouldn't bitch that much if this fucking city had only one single 2nd hand record store, in which Maiden albums appear once in a blue moon -advice: avoid going to Erlangen at all costs-!
Now, here's an advice to record companies: If you want to avoid losses due to people not buying new CDs but downloading them from the internet or buying them second hand, then LOWER THE FUCKING PRICES!
Now, I don't believe they are reading this, or, if they should really, would care for it, but they have lost a customer.
I will not download the albums, but I will buy them second-hand from now on, IF I EVER GET MY HANDS ON THEM.
Recently, I came to think this world can't be so bad if I experience how Bruce and H reunite with Maiden or Rob returns to Priest, but now it seems I must have been mistaken. Fuck record companies, fuck money makers. They won't get my little money anymore. I'm going to boycott.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+May 21 2004, 04:28 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ May 21 2004, 04:28 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I'm a really big Maiden fan. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a way of being a bigger Maiden fan than I am. [/quote]
never met me then [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

You are not alone in thinking that companies should lower cd prices. Here in the states a "good" record store sells cds for the average price of $20 (which i belive is like 10 Euros) Which here is a lot of money. For me a good price would be...oh i don't know $14. However, I don't agree with illigal downloads (I have done it out of desperation LOL) and every day there is a new "Legal" site to do it through. I don't know if in Europe the apple music store (through iTunes which is free) is available, but 99 cents a song is way better than 15 euros a cd. Nothing beats free, but 99 cents comes close. iTunes Catalog is severely lacking in Metal (only because not all the record labels are onboard yet, hell even the Beatles are missing) but they do have every Iron Maiden Song (I downlaoded Afraid to shoot strangers).

this is the second time today i see an american believing that €1=$2. Why is that? FYI, €1=$1.1 (approx)

Try looking for used cds online. Here's the [a href=\'http://www.secondspin.com/buy/artist.cfm?SID=772831755527&Artist=Iron%20Maiden\' target=\'_blank\']SecondSpin.com Iron Maiden page[/a]. They don't have much, but most of what they do have is US$6.99 per CD. I don't know what their international prices are when you add shipping, though.

[!--QuoteBegin-gor+May 21 2004, 10:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gor @ May 21 2004, 10:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] this is the second time today i see an american believing that €1=$2. Why is that? FYI, €1=$1.1 (approx) [/quote]
   If you mean I am an American because I live on the American Continent... yes I am an American. If you refer to my nationality...No I'm not. I'm Mexican, and not to be rude but I HATE being confused with my gringo nieghbors to the north, not that you can tell online, but just because I'm not brown skinned like the rest of my brethren doesn't mean I'm caucassian. Now, with that out of the way this might shed light on exchange rates [a href=\'http://www.x-rates.com/\' target=\'_blank\']X-Rates[/a] According to the chart one US Dollar is around .83 Euros and one Euro is about 1.2 Dollars, so you had a very good aproximation [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Its the fucking same here in Brazil.

Almost all stores sells cds at the standard price of R$ 20,00 (the currency of Brazil is Real).
That will be aprox. U$ 7,14. You might think that U$ 7 are cheap, but Brazil´s currency is one of the weakest of the world when you compare it to US dollar.

R$ 20 per month for people who gains, standards, R$ 280,00 is too much. Specially when it come that the pirates Cds are R$ 3,00 or R$ 5,00 (the most expensive will be R$ 10,00).

When it comes to metal Cds the problem is even worse. There are few choices in stores and most of them are sold by the lowest price of R$ 29,90.

The dance of death was about R$ 39,90. Almost the sixty part of an standart salary. And don´t forget that you have to go to work, take children to school, feed yourself, buy someclothes, pay bills.....

Here's another way: Apple Music Store (iTunes) [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Cheers

NO LOWER THE PRICE CAUSE I WANT THE CD CASE WHIT THE COOL PICTURE AND BOOKLET

[!--QuoteBegin-Bouffetout+May 25 2004, 01:21 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Bouffetout @ May 25 2004, 01:21 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] NO LOWER THE PRICE CAUSE I WANT THE CD CASE WHIT THE COOL PICTURE AND BOOKLET [/quote]
But lower prices with picture and booklet would rock [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I agree with all the angry people here.
I lived in South America, and there I remember that any CD cost at least US$ 22.
There was no exception. Now because of the crisis CDs in Uruguay and Argentina are much cheaper than before. The prices have lowered down to more than half of the previous price. I don't like second hand, I want my Maiden CDs new [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--], though I know the price is high.
When I get a chance I buy one, but only if the price is between 15-20 dollars. The records companies won't fool me neither.

All this prices issue is quite stupid. Why in the name of god do records companies put so high prices to metal CDs?. What's the 'kin reason?. They know people won't buy them, unless they are 'kin rich.
If they would have lowered the prices in my country, I would deffinately buy a couple of CDs. Anyway, today I frequently visit a CDs store that is not in good relations with the national records companies who brings Maiden CDs, so anytime I have a chance to fly somewhere or go to a metal show, I buy as many Maiden albums and other metal bands albums as I can, 'cause they are half the price there.

Thanks

It's just a piece of plastic, and the CD production itself ain't that expensive, at least not as expensive that it justifies the high prices of CD. Greedy recordcompanies harvest an ever increasing profit, while we have to pay more and more. In many ways, Marx was right.

Lower the CD prices and we'll buy more CD's. How hard can that be to understand?

Just because they are greedy doesn't mean Marx was right, or on what was he right? Do you mean that crude oil is very cheap and that is why people fight over it because from it we not only get gas but plastic, and plastic is EVERYWHERE: computers, cars, CDS, remote controls etc. Because a CD itself took labor to produce, then to record, package and put on the rack to sell... THAT explains it's cost. The label to which a band is under also has a lot to do with prices. Indie labels (independant) are very cheap while EMI (branch of SONY music) is more expensive because it is part of a HUGE corporation. Corporations do look for profit because that is the whole point of capitalism: ACUMULATE CAPITAL (i.e money). They do this in many ways. One example is how computer companies have taken their costumer service to third world counties like India. There they pay a college educated completely bilingual Indian (person from India Hindu refers to Hinduism, the religion NOT nationality) 6,800 rupees a month ($150 US dollars!) so for the price of ONE U.S worker they can hire 15 in India. Anywho.... I'm not an economist so I'll shut up now [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I would tend to agree with all of this arguement:

Think of costs of cheep writable CD's..... Now add that to about £2 worth of booklet printing etc and CD Case .

about 4 quid not that really!

Its all about Onhells' capitalism statement. All businessmen are greedy, why should they care about the prices people have to pay if they can ONLY come to their shop or another shop. As long as they undercut and have a larger selection... Why should they care about people and the enviroment most of all (my tuppence). They stand around smoking cigars in Jacuzis while the atmosphere builds its toxic barrier for the sun light. They could destroy all poverty in the entire world but what do they do? They keep the money for themselves. Same with football.

Sorry went off on one

There are a few more costs involved, dogigniter. The artist has to get paid royalties, which average 20 cents per song. The CD has to be marketed and transported to the stores, and those people have to be paid also. The record store is entitled to some markup in the price to pay their employees and overhead.

Still, the prices are too high. They could come down by at least 30% or 40% and still leave everyone with a very healthy profit.

you should know that on the cd you buy, the artiste receive only less than 10% of what you pay. after, the expense of production is just 12% of the price. but the best is for the end, the record companie takes 56%!! [!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
the rest is shared by the disc seller and other.
So when you'll buy a cd, you'll know to who goes the money...

I finally got Piece Of Mind, and I got it with the good feeling of knowing that EMI did not get a cent of that money [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Silver Wings+Jun 13 2004, 07:01 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silver Wings @ Jun 13 2004, 07:01 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]

btw... i´m reporting you all to the RIAA right now [/quote]
[!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Ok, I should put this in the "last cd you bought" thread but it has more to do with cd prices. I just bought three cd's for the first time in six months. I bought Opeth's Still Life and Therion's two cd package Serius B/Lemuria. Now I got them at the store I always do which kicks ass when it comes to prices. The average price of a cd is $16 and they usually place new releases on sale for $14. Now, Opeth's was $12 bucks ( I guess it's not there most popular as Morningrise was $16) and Therion who released their two cd's as a double album for a limited time (they will be sold seperately pretty soon) was priced at $19! I got THREE cd's for $33! ($pretty much 11 each!) now THAT'S a great deal! I love that record store!

Back