Help me with my dad's retirement

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Hi everyone,

For those who don’t know, my dad is retiring from the Royal Canadian Navy this summer after 37 years of service. As a Chief Petty Officer 1st Class, he’s come as far as you can in the Navy, and made a hell of a lot of friends and told even more stories about his time serving Canada. Twice he has served in a combat zone – during peacekeeping efforts in the former Yugoslavia and during Operation APOLLO in the Persian Gulf after 9/11. Now that he’s retiring, I’ve been asked to get some photographs of family, friends, and acquaintances holding congratulatory signs.

I’m hoping to do better than just some photographs.

So, I’m asking you, my Maidenfans friends, who may or may not know me well, to take a picture of you, your family and friends, co-workers, people in active, reserve, or retired services to their countries, to grab a picture of themselves, their favourite location or alcoholic beverage, and a sign saying “Congratulations Paul on retiring!” or something similar. Or something cheeky.

Of all the heroes I’ve ever had, my dad is the biggest of them all. Even if you don’t know him, he’s been the person I’ve tried to be for my 30 years. I’d really appreciate it if you could send me a picture, and I know the look of befuddlement and confusion on his likely drunken face as he sees all these people he’s never met congratulate him will be well worth it. I’m especially hoping for some pictures from servicemembers around the world, so if you know anyone in uniform, definitely prod them to help a guy out.

Pics can be sent to my email address benjaminstonier at gmail dot com or sent to me on messenger here. Please feel free to include as many of your favourite beverages as possible, but nothing illegal should be in the shot – this will be displayed at a Royal Canadian Navy base. Beer out, bongs away. Pics need to be in by Sunday.

Thanks to everyone who takes a picture. I’ll try to get some good reaction shots.

Darn, I could have got some guys in WW1 kit or a few medieval soldiers to do this if I'd known earlier.

Take him here:

aM1544P_700b.jpg

Little too far from Esquimalt for the navy angle.
But I will get the Pacific Ocean covered for you.

Oh, I've got another now....Victorian era soldier in his best dress kit, also with a bottle of beer.

Back