Helloween & Gamma Ray

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - current poll: "Majestic" (G)

OK, I am absolutely going to take back that I like this album less than Insanity & Genius. Majestic is a typical example of disliking an album in the beginning, ignoring it for some years, and finally giving it a chance again.

I played it 5 times this week and I still find it hard to select the three best ones. Right now it is:

1. Strange World (not typically Gamma Ray, later there's a beautiful instrumental part)
2. Fight (short and catchy, also a perfect track on the new DVD)
3. Spiritual Dictator (I really love those screaming solos with that pulsating rhythm underneath!)

My Temple I also find strong, it contains some of the most fantastic rhythms guitars and drums! Unfortunately the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath part spoils it a bit. The Leather Rebel rip-off in Hell Is Thy Home is also very obvious. Still a kick ass song. I also like most other tracks, especially Condemned to Hell. I never heard Hellfire, the Japanese bonus track.

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - current poll: "Pink Bubbles Go Ape" (H)

Album 6: Helloween - Pink Bubbles Go Ape (1991)

I only know one song from that album - Heavy Metal Hamsters, but that's a pretty cool song I tell ya!

Interesting you know that one, out of all those tracks. It wasn't a single I think.

Sometimes, you just know something ;)

Well, overall it's not a good album (*cough*: it was a flop), but I can promise you there's a few songs on it you really might like better. But more about that later, first I'll play it a couple of times to decide.

;)

1. The Chance (like no. 2, another brilliant song by Grapow)
2. Someone's Crying (Ingo Schwichtenberg. I say: Ingo f*ckin' Schwichtenberg - Rock on in heaven - R.I.P.)
3. Number One (I like the atmospheric midpiece)

@Onhell: where's your Majestic contribution?  :)

OK, I've taken a few listens to this one-- and everyone is right, its a weird bit-- speed pop metal. 

1.  Number One
2.  Mankind
3.  Goin Home

I so love his voice, and its too bad that he doesn't want anything to do with metal at all anymore...

Wasted155 said:
OK, I've taken a few listens to this one-- and everyone is right, its a weird bit-- speed pop metal. 

1.  Number One
2.  Mankind
3.  Goin Home

I so love his voice, and its too bad that he doesn't want anything to do with metal at all anymore...

He still does guest appearances, so who knows what he really wants lol

Forostar said:
@Onhell: where's your Majestic contribution?  :)

I need to listen to it again and I keep forgetting :D

Onhell said:
He still does guest appearances, so who knows what he really wants lol

You are correct.  I got most of my info on him from here and wiki-- wiki stated that he didnt want anything to do with metal, and when he did guest performances, he didn't want his name on them.  Again, that was wiki, so it could be a little biased, or just plain wrong.  However, I do really like him... I mean no disrespect to Deris, but I was listening to Rabbit and Keeper Legacy, and would have loved to have heard Kiske on them.

Wiki is correct. On the first Avantasia cd he's credited as "Ernie," but dropped it on the subsequent albums and uses his real name. I don't know if he did this with other guest appearances. I too am sad over them not agreeing on musical direction, mostly because Kiske only has two solo albums or something like that, but has never formed a band or had a successful solo career which is sad.

Agreed!  I did like what I heard on that thread that Foro put up in the solo's section, with H and Hansen (that was really cool!).

Ah, well, maybe someday he'll come out with something else good to listen to.

Ok, so a little late, but I finally gave Majesty a few listens. This was a hard one, but finally landed on

1. Condemned to Hell (very catchy, and actually gets me moving)
2. Strange World (one of the heaviests and a cool solo)
3. Hell is Thy Home (only because when I try to think up of one more song this one actually sticks out, even though I also liked Blood Religion, Spiritual Dictator and My Temple)

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - current poll: "Helloween" (H)

Album 7: Helloween - Helloween (1985)

I realize that this is on the CD version of "Walls of Jericho" but these tracks are so legendary that I like to do this as a separate thing. So let's choose a top-3 out of these 5 tracks:

"Starlight" (Weikath/Hansen) – 5:17
"Murderer" (Hansen) – 4:26
"Warrior" (Hansen) – 4:00
"Victim of Fate" (Hansen) – 6:37
"Cry for Freedom" (Weikath/Hansen) – 6:02

This one is tough.  Incredible, influential tracks. But:

1. Victim of Fate
2. Cry for Freedom
3. Warrior

1. Victim of Fate
2.Starlight
3. Cry For Freedom

This one was hard... 3/5 from five tracks...

Hansen all the way!

1. Victim of Fate
2. Warrior
3. Murderer

So you mean strictly Hansen since he did have a hand in all five songs :p

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - current poll: "Land Of The Free" (G)

I agree the first two were very easy.

1. Rebellion in Dreamland, a perfect song with indeed the best intro at least in a GR song. It was my first GR album so needless to say I was floored
2. Land of the Free- What Power Metal should be, great track
3. This one was very hard as it is a solid album, but I finally decided on Time to Break Free, I really like the energy and the lyrics

Back