Heaven Can Wait

How good is Heaven Can Wait on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Heaven Can Wait' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'heaven Can Wait'

"I snatch a glimpse of the light's eternal rays
I see a tunnel I stand amazed
At all of the people standing there in front of me "

intresting scientific fact regarding the "tunnel of white light" many people who've had near-death experiences mention...

as someone's cardiovascular system starts to fail him, in situations such as shock, death proccess etc, less blood is sent to the brain, and the functions that require big amounts of energy (thus oxygen thus blood) are shut down. the most evolved and energy-consuming attributes of human vision are: reception of colours and periferal vision... so, imagine someone's vision gradualy fades away... the first things he will loose is perception of colours and peripheral (side) vision... what's left? a tunnel of white light!

'heaven Can Wait'

This is one is awesome. I really like the very begining where the synths set the mood for the rest. Those 2 or maybe 3 seconds are just amazing, they send shiver down your spine. It feels like you are about to see something really "mystical" however you feel calm as if you already knew what was about to happen.

Its a classical Maiden tune. My only complaint is the bass line which is maybe "too simple"

The oooooo part, as said by the official FAQ, was recorded at the Tehe bar (whic appears in the backcover). Does anyone know where this bar is located ? East End maybe ? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'heaven Can Wait'

My least favourite on the album. That ohooooh-type of chorus is repeated all over again, so the song could easily be like two minutes shorter, making it more compact.

'heaven Can Wait'

[!--QuoteBegin-MigDaimon+May 20 2004, 05:38 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MigDaimon @ May 20 2004, 05:38 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This is one is awesome. I really like the very begining where the synths set the mood for the rest. Those 2 or maybe 3 seconds are just amazing, they send shiver down your spine. It feels like you are about to see something really "mystical" however you feel calm as if you already knew what was about to happen.

Its a classical Maiden tune. My only complaint is the bass line which is maybe "too simple"

The oooooo part, as said by the official FAQ, was recorded at the Tehe bar (whic appears in the backcover). Does anyone know where this bar is located ? East End maybe ? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]66799[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I have read that myself, but I'll be damned, I have a hard time believing that Maiden recorded anything outside of the studio, with martin "perfectionist" birch at the helm. More so sice it's supposed to be some beer drinkers from that bar, no photos or recolections of that bar have never turned up either. I wonder if it is true or not after all...

'heaven Can Wait'

As far as I know, it wasn't recorded at Tehe's Bar, but people from that bar were recruited and brought to the studio to do the vocals. As for where this bar is/was, I have no idea...

'heaven Can Wait'

New information: Tehe's Bar is (was?) in Amsterdam. It's in the credits of the album [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'heaven Can Wait'

The guitar lines underlying the sing-a-long are really nice and give this weird, unearthly feel don't they?

'heaven Can Wait'

damn, all I can say is "average", one of the weaker songs on the album

'heaven Can Wait'

In R.E. class I recently did some work on NDEs and I came across two websites which have plenty of information about NDEs.

http://www.finalfrontier.org.uk/cnde.htm has several different first hand accounts of NDEs. I randomly picked Christine Eastell's story and found a relation to this song.

"In the darkness I became aware of an even more evil presence than I had already felt and there, high above anything, was this creature I just know was Satan."

This part particularly reminded me of the line "Is this in limbo or Heaven or Hell? Maybe I'm going down there as well"

www.mikepettigrew.com/afterlife/ has information on research by the University of Southampton into why NDEs occur.

"I snatch a glimpse of the lights eternal rays, I see a tunnel I stand amazed"
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Studies in the laboratory have shown that lack of oxygen can create Memory Alterations, Visual Distortions & Tunnel Vision.[/quote]

"At all of the people standing there in front of me"
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Many scientists believe that our fear of death is so great that our brain creates a self-preservation fantasy when approaching death. An individual detaches from a sense of self in order to avoid emotional pain or stress.[/quote]

"Take my hand I'll lead you to the promised land. Take my hand I'll give you immortality. Eternal youth I'll take you to the other side. To see the truth the path for you is decided."
I think this is probably referring to meeting Jesus as many NDE experiencers have claimed to have done. This quotation from the song is likely to be Jesus telling the person that it is not their time to die and that they must tell the world of what Heaven is like.

I actualy did a 1000 word investigation on Life after Death which I am likely to be recieving the top grade for. If I had it on this computer then I would gladly post it here, but I'll have to get it off the school computers first, and I can't do that for another two weeks.

Re: 'heaven Can Wait'

This part

'Take my hand I'll lead you to the promised land
      Take my hand I'll give you immortality
      Eternal youth I'll take you to the other side
      To see the truth the path for you is decided'

is to me one of the most emotional ones in Maiden's history.

But when I check the votes, I seem to like this very album a lot more than the majority of you out there. To me, this LP and its successor was Maiden at their absolute climax. Well, it's all a matter of taste anyway.

Re: 'heaven Can Wait'

I don't get how so many dislikes the song. I think it's my fav from the album actually.

The start "can't understand what is happening to me, this isn't real, this is only a dream" part is so damn cool. Love the way Bruce comes in and sing, and he sings like he is confused/scared.

Daily Song: Heaven Can Wait

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Heaven Can Wait

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

The obligatory singalong song from the late 80s. I have never been a huge fan of this song, it's okay, but I find it somewhat boring. It's good live, but I'd rather skip it than listen to it.

6/10

Re: Daily Song: Heaven Can Wait

Played way too often live. This is a decent song, but the chorus really ruins it for me. I do like the Maiden England version, partially b/c Bruce eschews much of the repetitiveness of the chorus.

A decent song, maybe sometimes repetitive, but Bruce delivers it very well with the ooh ohh ooooh part...

5/10.

Black_Thunder said:
A decent song, maybe sometimes repetitive, but Bruce delivers it very well with the ooh ohh ooooh part...

5/10.

:lol: What kind a decent song is then?? Another 5, please.  :)

The only song on the album that has no parts that really stand out (although the build-up to the singalong part is really good). 6/10.

I was really eager to hear this one live for many years, then it happened in 2008... and I was not disappointed. Having said that, I was not blown away either. This is a very good song, and I like every bit of it, but it's not that much of an immortal classic. 8/10.

When this song starts I always eagerly wait till the mid part comes. That is such a great part. A joyful part, but not too joyful like the chorus of Coming Home, where it sounds a bit too sweet and hallelujah in my ears.  
I love the way Adrian lifts it up with his play, but the vocals and lyrics are really dominating here.
Taaaaake myyyy haaaandddd...!

There are nice solos as well, but I find the parts with words (before and after that mid part of course) a bit less.

The least good song, but still worth a fat 7,5 thus an 8 in my book.

Back