Happy Anniversary Iron Maiden!

Although I stopped believing a long time ago the official narrative that the birth of Iron Maiden was on 25th December (@Magnus, expert on the early days I invoke you!), it is not the only fictitious anniversary celebrated on the day. Either way, who am I to be an unbeliever! :lol:

That being said, I raise my glass (filled with a pint of Triple fff Moondance) to thank Iron Maiden for the many years of happy memories their music have created. My life would have been definitely different had I not become a fan back in 1991…

Although I stopped believing a long time ago the official narrative that the birth of Iron Maiden was on 25th December (@Magnus, expert on the early days I invoke you!), it is not the only fictitious anniversary celebrated on the day. Either way, who am I to be an unbeliever! :lol:

That being said, I raise my glass (filled with a pint of Triple fff Moondance) to thank Iron Maiden for the many years of happy memories their music have created. My life would have been definitely different had I not become a fan back in 1991…
The most probably it was happened the 26th. the 25th Steve seen the movie The Man of the Iron Mask that night on the tv and the 26th went to the job and he tell a mate what he seen last night on tv and the coworker said Did you know that there's a torture device called Iron Maiden developed to spread your blood for the whole room suffering from a slow death? he thought…damn, that is bloody cool mate Iron Maiden could be a f***ing great name for a band. And that night recruits some friends at the pub and tell them. It's my Xmas tale :lol: :cheers:

The most probably it was happened the 26th. the 25th Steve seen the movie The Man of the Iron Mask that night on the tv and the 26th went to the job and he tell a mate what he seen last night on tv and the coworker said Did you know that there's a torture device called Iron Maiden developed to spread your blood for the whole room suffering from a slow death? he thought…damn, that is bloody cool mate Iron Maiden could be a f***ing great name for a band. And that night recruits some friends at the pub and tell them. It's my Xmas tale :lol: :cheers:

Very funny. :lol:

The only thing that makes it implausible is that 26th December is Boxing Day, a bank holiday in the UK. Let’s go with 27th December instead. ;)

Very funny. :lol:

The only thing that makes it implausible is that 26th December is Boxing Day, a bank holiday in the UK. Let’s go with 27th December instead. ;)
Do you mean the Boxing Day it's when the football teams play that day? Then he went to the West Ham stadium that day to see his lovely team and a drunk weekend warrior said about the torture device and later went to the pub to tell it to his pub mates :lol: :cheers:

:lol:
I think I had read on the Maiden77 page (now sadly defunct so I can't check this anymore) that the band actually started in the spring. Maybe @Luisma would know?
On the other hand, when exactly is a band's birthday?
Take my band (also long defunct) for example: would it be the day a guitarist pal and me decided to start it and came up with the band's name and the basic ideas for several songs? Or the day the two of us played through a couple of songs at his place (just bass and guitar obviously)? Or the day of the first proper rehearsal, with a drummer and a vocalist and amps blasting?
So it's possible that 25th December 1975 might have been an important day in Maiden's history indeed after all, even if it was just a talk with Ron Matthews in a pub or something similar.

And I totally agree with the second part of your post, only my glass is filled with Zwettler Zwickl right now.

Honestly never saw a reason not to believe the band was founded on Christmas Day. It makes sense for a bunch of kids with nothing better to do to gather together on a bank holiday and start playing music.

Honestly never saw a reason not to believe the band was founded on Christmas Day. It makes sense for a bunch of kids with nothing better to do to gather together on a bank holiday and start playing music.
Instead of having some beers?
Again, depends how "founded" is defined.

Even Garry Bushell's Running Free (which, as we all know, is full of gross factual errors) only says they "got together" at Christmas 1975, whatever that's supposed to mean - and then reproduces a 1976 newspaper clipping speaking of "at the beginning of the year".
1704665089877.png
But, as already pointed out by @GhostofCain , there's already a precedent of choosing that date as a convenient one to celebrate.

Imagine actually caring about debunking the band's official story that the band was founded on December 25th. If that's when the band says it was founded, good enough for me. It's not like anything is going to change because a handful of nerds did some cross-referencing and detective work on an internet forum.

Imagine actually caring about debunking the band's official story that the band was founded on December 25th. If that's when the band says it was founded, good enough for me. It's not like anything is going to change because a handful of nerds did some cross-referencing and detective work on an internet forum.

And thankfully we no longer get burned at the stake for contradicting the official scripture, regardless of how wrong the latter might be. :p

Even Garry Bushell's Running Free (which, as we all know, is full of gross factual errors) only says they "got together" at Christmas 1975, whatever that's supposed to mean - and then reproduces a 1976 newspaper clipping speaking of "at the beginning of the year".
View attachment 33096
But, as already pointed out by @GhostofCain , there's already a precedent of choosing that date as a convenient one to celebrate.
I wish somebody could photoshop out the bass guitar. It would made one hell of a weird photo.

In this 2005 interview Nicko and Steve both implied the band was actually formed in May -75. On 1:20 (a bit later but lets include Nicko´s joke and then him smirking to his own joke along with Steve, same thing happening afterwards as well).

Well, as I cannot show it here most of you have probably seen it before but if not, just type ´steve harris nicko mcbrain interview 2005´ to YouTube search and then you see it at instant (if you need more clues, the one with purple background and mini amplifiers on a shelf, total running time being 6:46).

Last edited:
I'm a relatively new user, without permission to create new threads, so I decided to share this post just here. Recently I was talking to friends about the careers of various artists, including some who are no longer active. A question was asked about what will be left of Maiden when they close their career in a few years and whether the group's management will do to commemorate the band's achievements in some project. What I mean here is something lasting and spectacular that will not let the band be forgotten. After a long conversation, we came to the conclusion that Iron Maiden's management is simply not capable of launching such a project. They're a kind of people who think about what is here and now, not about commemorating the music and achievements of the group. There was even a suggestion that after the end of the touring, the band would completely disappear, after all - hardly anyone would remember them (say, in 30 years). I must admit that this is quite a sad perspective, but seeing how the group's managers have always ignored the mainstream media and promotion - it is pretty possible. I admit I have a lot of doubts about the future plans of the group and their management. Rod Smallwood is not the kind of person who would appreciate changes and opportunities in the music industry, so I don't expect him to take any action to consolidate the group in the mass audience's consciousness.
So tell us all what do you think about all this problem, please?!

Back