Hallowed Be Thy Name

How good is Hallowed Be Thy Name on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'Hallowed Be Thy Name' has been covered by bands such as Aborym, Aeturnus, Antim Grahan, Benevolence, Brown Brigade, Ceremonial Oath, Cradle Of Filth, Dreadnaught, Dream Theater, Edenrot, Formel 1, Iced Earth, Machine Head, Mahakala, Powerage, Slander, Silent Eye, SoupBone, Solitude Santet & Suicidal.
I guess your list does not include hybrids involving cover bands inviting famous singers. Here is the one by André Matos (Viper, Angra, Sha(a)man), who allegedly was among the finalists to replace Bruce in 1993. Unfortunately, he died last June, aged 47 only. :(

Last edited:
I guess your list does not include hybrids involving cover bands inviting famous singers. Here is the one by André Matos (Viper, Angra, Sha(a)man), who allegedly was among the finalists to replace Bruce in 1993. Unfortunately, he died last June, aged 47 only. :(

That's correct @BlackBart in my book I only mentioned bands who cover Maiden songs and not actually cover bands. André Matos was truly amazing and I do understand he was one of the singers that was seriously considered for replacing Bruce. He was also very close to Bruce so they did "play" more than a couple of times together

The lyrics are the thoughts of a prisoner who will soon
killed by hanging. His initial agony gives way, gradually,
in despair, in resignation, in calm, reconciliation with death and
certainty of an afterlife.
The events that trigger this emotional shift
situations is the entrance of the priest who comes to bless him
protagonist in the cell and later the cry "God is with you" of one
prisoner. The future death not only ignores the priest but seems to
he is disturbed by his presence by turning his gaze out of his cell.
He has rejected the idea of a good and merciful God but not her
of the afterlife. The thought born of the wish of his inmate
brings to mind the words of the crucified Jesus in the New Testament “God
"My God, why did you leave me?" (Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34).
The future death takes care to give advisory character to
his last words, trying to convey his wisdom
gave the anticipation of impending death. Please listen
realize the meaning of his words, learn from his example
and, thus, to give meaning to the inglorious death of the convict, to “catch her
his soul before it flies away ". According to Dickinson, however,
through fear, hope is finally reborn and that is why this piece closes
with the previously hesitant future death being reversed and
exclaims "sanctify your name."

According to Harris, the lyrics examine whether the belief that follows
man endures his whole life when the hour of death approaches,
if she supports him when he needs her more than ever.

The lyrics are the thoughts of a prisoner who will soon
killed by hanging. His initial agony gives way, gradually,
in despair, in resignation, in calm, reconciliation with death and
certainty of an afterlife.
The events that trigger this emotional shift
situations is the entrance of the priest who comes to bless him
protagonist in the cell and later the cry "God is with you" of one
prisoner. The future death not only ignores the priest but seems to
he is disturbed by his presence by turning his gaze out of his cell.
He has rejected the idea of a good and merciful God but not her
of the afterlife. The thought born of the wish of his inmate
brings to mind the words of the crucified Jesus in the New Testament “God
"My God, why did you leave me?" (Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34).
The future death takes care to give advisory character to
his last words, trying to convey his wisdom
gave the anticipation of impending death. Please listen
realize the meaning of his words, learn from his example
and, thus, to give meaning to the inglorious death of the convict, to “catch her
his soul before it flies away ". According to Dickinson, however,
through fear, hope is finally reborn and that is why this piece closes
with the previously hesitant future death being reversed and
exclaims "sanctify your name."

According to Harris, the lyrics examine whether the belief that follows
man endures his whole life when the hour of death approaches,
if she supports him when he needs her more than ever.
sorry i dont know english and i use google trasnslate. I hope it makes sense!

A haunting intro with the tolling bell behind the voice of a prisoner sentenced to death leads into an iconic Iron Maiden riff. You couldn’t write this kind of music with Paul, yet with Bruce anything is now possible. Love the way the music drops out in the first part of the first verse. We get to hear the new singer as he sounds by himself for a bit before the rest of the music comes in. These verses are a bit crammed together but Bruce makes it work. Love the drum fill before the pumping instrumental section. I think my one hangup with “Hallowed” is simply the fact that Maiden did way better epics after it. It’s like a continuation of the blueprint “Phantom” gave us, but doesn’t incorporate enough to reach “Rime” level. The solos are good, but not awesome. The verses are great, but not perfect. The structure is strong, but not exemplary. It’s an excellent heavy metal song… but it’s not even a contender for Maiden’s all-time best. That said, I still love it. 9/10

What is there to say about Hallowed that hasn't been said a million times? It's a legendary song, a stellar epic, a true classic.
The studio version is a bit too slow for me, since I'm used to the pace of the live versions. I'm also missing Janick's harmonics during the intro. And of course there's the audience as well.

The long "running low" notes never fail to bring out the goosebumps. It's quite fascinating to see how Bruce's interpretations of this song changed over the years.

There's a minor blemish, in that some of the best lyrics of the song are plagiarized, but the music is original, so I'm a bit more lenient. Preferably everything would be original, but if I had to choose between music or lyrics, music is more important to me. Having said all that, a 9.

Back