Hallowed Be Thy Name

How good is Hallowed Be Thy Name on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Hallowed Be Thy Name is the greatest song that has ever been created... and probably the best song of the band.

The song is like the emblem of Maiden - epic intro, amazing solos and vocals, powerful drums and bass, fantastic twin-lead melodies, even better verses and the end of the song is brutally good. Everything is beyond amazing in it !

10/10.

Hallowed Be Thy Name is the greatest song that has ever been created... and probably the best song of the band.
Huh? If it’s the greatest song of all time, then that means it is Maiden’s best song, too. Where does that “probably” come into play, Kalata? :huh:

EDIT: also, you’re wrong, that’s “Empire of the Clouds”.

Huh? If it’s the greatest song of all time, then that means it is Maiden’s best song, too. Where does that “probably” come into play, Kalata? :huh:

Well, Maiden has so many great songs, but yeah, HBTN is indeed the best one (I knew someone would ask me about that).... :p
EDIT: also, you’re wrong, that’s “Empire of the Clouds”.

I share you love for this masterpiece of a song @Diesel 11 - so don't worry. ;)

Last edited:
My first exposure to this gem was through a reaction video of the live show (from 82 I believe) on YT. (discovered only like a month ago!!! - casual turning hardcore IM fan in the making here) .....I listened to the opening few seconds once or twice then was drawn back to actually listen to the whole song and thats all she wrote. Absolutely rocker. It's currently neck and neck with Rime for my favorite Maiden song. My favorite part of HBTN is around 2:52 when the extra guitar(s) come in to the melody.

Last edited:
Such as? I can think of some, but would be interested in knowing which average tracks have received more praise than they deserve according to you. :)

Not sure what I had in mind when I posted that, probably Deja Vu or Sun and Steel or something. Not particularly bad tracks or tracks I dislike but I get suspicious when I see people listing well known tracks as being the worst on big albums and then saying that tracks that the band overlook are the best. Maybe some people are serious but I suspect a lot of it is an attempt at being quirky or looking for attention. Like that article that said Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger is crying out to be played live!

In my humble opinion, this is the best song of Maiden. Surely you can argue for Rime..., because is also a fantastic song, but i slightly prefer this one. Oh, and Bruce make it shine even more when he performs live.

Hallowed is in my top five all time favorite Maiden songs. The other four being Book of Souls, Infinite Dreams, Starblind, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. You can tell by this post I have impeccable taste.

Trivia

At the soundcheck before playing as Genghis Khan, the band played 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' along with 'Transylvania', 'Wrathchild' and 'Phantom Of The Opera'.

"Americans asked us to edit "Hallowed". We told them to forget it because that would have just ruined it completely." (Steve Harris for Johnny B – Cavemanproductions Webpage – 2000)

Hallowed has been removed from the set list only in 2 occasions: first, during the 2012-2014 Maiden England World Tour, and then during the second leg of the Book of Souls World Tour as a result of a legal action spurred by the British prog band Beckett, claiming that Maiden lifted words and music from their 1974 song 'Life's Shadow.' The entire claim ended up being settled.

'Life's Shadow' out of the Beckett album also features 'A Rainbow's Gold' which was covered by Maiden as the B-side to 2 Minutes To Midnight. It must be also noted that the instrumental passage played by Beckett in 'Life's Shadow' is almost identical to the one played by Maiden in 'The Nomad' out of their Brave New World album.

Rod Smallwood, was Beckett's agent before linking up with Maiden

It was named the seventh greatest metal song in Rolling Stone magazine's list of greatest heavy metal songs and No. 7 in Martin Popoff's list of greatest metal songs.

Dance Of Death World Tour – January 30, 2004 – During 'Hallowed' Bruce slips and crashed into Nicko's drum kit.

In 2017 it was voted Iron Maiden's best song by Metal Hammer readers.

When Nicko was inducted into Guitar Center's "Drum-Legends" Hall of Fame on January 10, 2009 he performed 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' and 'The Trooper' on stage.

'Hallowed Be Thy Name' has been covered by bands such as Aborym, Aeturnus, Antim Grahan, Benevolence, Brown Brigade, Ceremonial Oath, Cradle Of Filth, Dreadnaught, Dream Theater, Edenrot, Formel 1, Iced Earth, Machine Head, Mahakala, Powerage, Slander, Silent Eye, SoupBone, Solitude Santet & Suicidal.

Would you like to know stuff like this from EVERY MAIDEN song? Buy my ebook by subscribing at https://www.subscribepage.com/luisma666

Back