Hallowed Be Thy Name

How good is Hallowed Be Thy Name on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'hallowed Be Thy Name'

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Aug 19 2005, 07:14 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Aug 19 2005, 07:14 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This is one of the Catholic dogmas, or even Christian beliefs as such.
[snapback]115930[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Clear enough?
I'm a Catholic myself and know this and that about Christianity in general.
And yes, I'm vain as well [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'hallowed Be Thy Name'

Crystal [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I must apologize for I was having a stressful day, your wording still lends itself to that misunderstanding.

'hallowed Be Thy Name'

Stressful days, don't we have them all at times. Sorry, I should have really made it clearer.
I'm hearing bells now from a nearby church, btw [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'hallowed Be Thy Name'

Best song on the album and one of my favs of all time. 5/5. Amazing lyrics, love the slow opening, great work from every member of the band, etc. What more can I say about this song?

'hallowed Be Thy Name'

What a bad place for me to make my first post, because I was one of the very few (10 at the moment) that didn't give it 5 stars. I went for 4.5, because even though it's a classic it's not one of my favorite classics. I'm tempted to use that O word that everybody hates, but it's not really too O--------, it's a phenomenal song. It's just one of those songs that gets so much attention that the novelty has worn off a bit. Not even the best track on the album.

But I gave it a 4.5, so you know I have no real beef with it.

'hallowed Be Thy Name'

[!--quoteo(post=133981:date=Apr 4 2006, 06:43 PM:name=Viz)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Viz @ Apr 4 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]133981[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What a bad place for me to make my first post, because I was one of the very few (10 at the moment) that didn't give it 5 stars. I went for 4.5, because even though it's a classic it's not one of my favorite classics. I'm tempted to use that O word that everybody hates, but it's not really too O--------, it's a phenomenal song. It's just one of those songs that gets so much attention that the novelty has worn off a bit. Not even the best track on the album.

But I gave it a 4.5, so you know I have no real beef with it.
[/quote]

I am with you that it's not the best song off the album(that would be 'The Prisoner' :: ).Still 'Hallowed be thy Name' belongs to the best Maiden songs in my view.

'hallowed Be Thy Name'

[!--quoteo(post=101113:date=Apr 5 2005, 07:34 AM:name=Médusa666)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Médusa666 @ Apr 5 2005, 07:34 AM) [snapback]101113[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The lyrics of this song make me think about a Victor Hugo's book I read a few years ago, "Le Dernier Jour d'un Condamné" ( "A Condemned's Last Day" ?), especially the end of the book, when the man is prepared before the execution, prays God on the way that leads to the guillotine to forget the crowd, and relates his last feelings...
Am I the only one to make this relation ?

[/quote]

If you read ACLD by Hugo, the phrase "tears they flow but why am I crying, after all I'm not afraid of dying" makes more sense (at least it did to me).

The main character in ACLDs greatest fear, was the faith of his youngest daughter after he was dead. His wife and his elder son would both make it. His daughter though was fragile for several reasons, among them the fact that she was a female (he feared she would become a harlot), and that she was so young that she couldn't take care of herself if the mother fell ill and died.

Though his greatest fear was related to his remaining family, the main character wonders about death and what's on the other side, and he mention this on a small chapter near the end of the book. This wondering is partly due to fear and of curiosity. So it is not entirely right that he doesn't fear death.

Re: 'hallowed Be Thy Name'

I think that Halloved be thy name is best song which i ever heard.

Old topic is old but I figure that it's not exactly "bad" to dredge up old topics in this section at any rate.

Anyway, just a small question. I often hear people talking about "the riff" in HBTN, so I'm wondering which of the riffs exactly are we on about? I always assumed everyone meant the one at 1:18 (after "Running Low, Yeahhhhhh") and repeated after the verses. Then again, my personal favorite riff was at about 5:50 when you've come off the solo's have a little passage and then *DaDaDaDaDaDaDaDaDa* RIFF!

Also chances are I've completely messed my description of this up completely anyway because I'm terrible at explaining things like this :p

Edit: Also it is the best song ever.

My favourite one is the one after ''... life down here is just a strange illusion''

And I use words like ''riffs'' without being 100% sure of what is actually means, so I do what you do too :p

Reumeren said:
And I use words like ''riffs'' without being 100% sure of what is actually means, so I do what you do too :p

Most people do, and that's why it's hard to find any explanation of what a riff actually is. As for myself, I'd been talking about riffs for several years before I actually understood what they are. ;)

This is one of the greatest songs in rock/metal history. The overall atmosphere is uncanny. The riffs, vocals, everything. Fantastic. Not enough can be said about this song. The intro is fantastic, as well as the ending. Perfectly written.

One thing I came to think of now, which I have wondered about before:

What do you think about the way Bruce drags out the vocal lines in most live performances of the song (at least after the World Slavery tour)? Especially the "life down here is just a strange illusion" part.

Personally I prefer listening to the older recordings where he sings them on time - like the one from Hammersmith, 1982. Maybe it was because of Nicko's speeding up of the song that he gradually started to drag out some of the vocal lines?

I just love the "strange illusion" part on Maiden England, it's so real and full of emotion.

It gives some extra charm, dragging it somehow puts an accent on it, and in that line we can find the sum of whole song, so...

Daily Song: Hallowed Be Thy Name

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Hallowed Be Thy Name

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

IMPORTANT - the Total Eclipse poll errored when I merged it. Can you please go resubmit your votes? Thanks.

Did I even need to open anything other than a 10 for this song? Hallowed Be Thy Name is commonly considered the greatest Iron Maiden song ever; possibly the greatest metal song of them all. 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: Hallowed Be Thy Name

Oh yes. The ultimate metal song ever made. Brilliant stuff. I'm not gonna tell you all why it is a 10/10 song because you already know.

Re: Daily Song: Hallowed Be Thy Name

10/10.

My 2nd favourite Maiden song, one of the best songs ever written. Just amazing, no need to explain why, we all know.

Back