Guitar solos on "A Matter of Life and Death"

I disagree with Dave's solo on FTGGOG being bad, I like it, especially the first part and think it fits the song very well. I also noticed when listening to just the solos and doing some notes for myself that I enjoy Daves solos on this record a lot more than I usually do, the one on TROBB have a nice flow and his contribution on TCDR is unusually melodic and fits the song really good.
Adrian's best is in different world as far as I'm concerned, it's just perfect, but most of his solos are great here.
Janick's solo in pilgrim is the one I like then most, and it's mainly because I like the scales in that one (and the song itself) a lot, it's a nice change in feeling from the regular Maiden ones.
I know I prefer my solos melodic and fitting to the rhythm of the song as opposed to a wilder style, generally, and think that Dave really goes that way a bit more on this record and it pleases me a lot.

Did I never comment in this thread? Shame on me!

The solo I instantly liked best was Adrian's on These Colours Don't Run. Dave's solos on this album feel a bit like he is just doing what he's been doing before. They are all trademark Dave, but there are none from this album that I'd rate among his best.

Janick's solos on this album rate from meh to very good. I'm not a fan of his solo on Brighter Than Thousand Suns, but on The Pilgrim and The Legacy he's doing it right.

The best combo of two solos is, in my opinion, on Lord of Light, where Adrian builds up tension towards the end of his, and all this tension is released in a trademark Dave solo. The song itself isn't among my favourites from the album, but the solo section is among the best parts of the album.

The guitar work on Out Of The Shadows is very nice and the song is a damn fine composition, but the solo itself doesn't stand out.

A Matter of Life and Death's guitar solos are pretty solid. Smith probably does the finest job.

Am I the only one who thinks Murray's solo in 'For the Greater Good of God' is one of his worst?

'These Colours Don't Run' has the best guitar solo section if you ask me :ok:

Take it from someone who is a HUGE fan of Dave: I can only agree with you. His solo on FTGGOG is so bland and just sounds like a rehash of licks he's done before. But, I guess it just proves he's human.

His solo on Breeg, though, is possibly one of his best. The poor production is (probably) the only thing that prevents it from being a true classic, but it really is way up there with some of the best he's done.

The fact that Janick only has four solos on this album is insane. AMOLAD is my favourite album, but I sometimes wonder what Lord of Light would sound like if Janick played Dave's solo. Janick's on BTATS is top 10 Maiden, and maybe the best solo on the last five Maiden albums, in competition with Jan's solo on Blood Brothers.

Favorite solos in AMOLAD:

Adrian - Different World (so melodic - one of his best solos), BTATS (another great melodic (slow) solo), OOTS (great bluesy solo), Lord Of Light (I like this unexpected improvisation).

Dave - TROBB (classic sounding solo for him), his solo in TCDR is also good.

Janick - The Pilgrim (great Egyptian feel to the solo), BTATS (atmospheric solo).

One interesting sidenote:

- This is the album with the least Janick solos from all the albums he contributed on: 4 only.

And the album with the most solos from Janick is FOTD, I think.

Also, the previous page is filled with 14 year old posts.

Back