Guitar solos on "A Matter of Life and Death"

Lazo said:
A Matter of Life and Death's guitar solos are pretty solid. Smith probably does the finest job.

Am I the only one who thinks Murray's solo in 'For the Greater Good of God' is one of his worst?

It is - extremely uninspired. That doesn't bring the song down though  :)

TheTrooper666 said:
It is - extremely uninspired. That doesn't bring the song down though  :)
Agreed, it's a fantastic song.

Wheeler: You said Maiden should cut the number of guitar solos... A Matter of Life and Death has only 16 of them. Considering this is their lengthiest album, it's really not that much.

I think The X Factor (which is their second longest album, if I'm not mistaken) has more than 20 of them.

I wonder how could you tell which solo is played by who? Sometimes it seems simple to decide (The Legacy), but other times I honestly do not know (The greater good...). Maybe I do not know enough of their styles :)

I have quite some difficulty discerning who soloes in this album.  I always recocnize Smith's solos,  but Dave's and Janick's are quite hard.  In Dance Of Death ( the album ) it was quite easy to discern all solos,  but that's not the case here.  Also,  the solos in this album are quite short don't you think?  Although,  not a great admirer of solos,  I think they should have been lengthier. 

Belenor said:
I wonder how could you tell which solo is played by who? Sometimes it seems simple to decide (The Legacy), but other times I honestly do not know (The greater good...). Maybe I do not know enough of their styles :)

I could describe their styles again now, but that's been done to death. If you know enough about guitar playing and the guitarists of course, you should be able to figure it out instantly.

Belenor said:
I wonder how could you tell which solo is played by who?

It's something that I really like to do. Some people like to anayze lyrics and I prefer to analyze Maiden's music and to find out who played which solo. Unfortunately it can only be done once in a couple of years. ;)

My favorite solo on the new album has to be adrians on "out of the shadows" although short, it's amazing!

Other great solos, IMHO, are found on Brighter Than a Thousand Suns -- both of them.  I also like the fast, heavy riff between the solos as well as Arry's great bass playing.

These Colours Don't Run have great solos especially Adrian's.  In fact, I'd say the solos are the best part of this song.

TheTrooper666 said:
I could describe their styles again now, but that's been done to death. If you know enough about guitar playing and the guitarists of course, you should be able to figure it out instantly.

Hehe, yeah, probably I should learn more about the trio :) Knowledge is power. Bad is I'm a beginner with guitar so I even do not know what technique do they use to play some parts.

In fact, I do not need to hear solos all the time, I prefer simpler melodies I am able to play :) On this album, I agree that solos are quite short and not so strong as in older songs. But I think there is none ruining the song. Maybe being that short means there is no time to ruin them :)

Lazo said:
Wheeler: You said Maiden should cut the number of guitar solos... A Matter of Life and Death has only 16 of them. Considering this is their lengthiest album, it's really not that much.

I think The X Factor (which is their second longest album, if I'm not mistaken) has more than 20 of them.

For some reason my original reply to your post was deleted.

You make a good point about the actual number of solos in comparison to The X Factor, but I still think 16 is too many. Dave's solos on Lord of Light and For the Greater Good of God do nothing for the songs. Solos should enhance songs and, in my opinion, those solos don't. However, as I noted in one of my posts above, Dave's Benjamin Breeg solo is probably the best on the album.

Wheeler said:
Solos should enhance songs and, in my opinion
Solos should above all be integral and functional parts of songs, not just random embellishments. I'm saying this as a non-musician who has some theoretical idea about music and is quite passionate about a good solo (as many people here, of course).

To me, a good solo is not perfunctory but somehow corresponds to the musical/lyrical ideas of the song. Extreme Maiden examples: 'Can I Play With Madness' and 'Paschendale'. In the first case the solos are schematic and feel compulsory, while in the war song, along with the fabulous build-up, Dave and Adrian make you feel in your bones a fraction of what combat must have been about.

Apart from that, a solo expresses the attitude of a good musician who wants to show off his qualities. In Maiden, I also love 'teamwork', when the boys take turns in soloing, picking up on each other.

On 'A Matter Of Life And Death', my favourite solo moments are as follows:
Dave - 'Lord Of Light' and 'The Longest Day' (nice, almost dance-like curls)
Adrian - 'Different World' (good movement and attitude) and 'Out Of The Shadows' (wonderful feeling)
Janick - 'For The Greater Good Of God' (his best solo yet, for me) and 'The Legacy' (great build up and the whole section afterwards, with my favourite instrumental moment of the album, the 6:30-ish part - played by whom? :()

Which brings me to expressing my admiration for Forostar's ability to tell who plays what. :ok:

Wheeler said:
For some reason my original reply to your post was deleted.

You make a good point about the actual number of solos in comparison to The X Factor, but I still think 16 is too many. Dave's solos on Lord of Light and For the Greater Good of God do nothing for the songs. Solos should enhance songs and, in my opinion, those solos don't. However, as I noted in one of my posts above, Dave's Benjamin Breeg solo is probably the best on the album.
I completely agree with you - guitar solos should enhance songs.

I also stated that Murray's solo on 'For the Greater Good of God' is indeed one of the worst he did. 'Lord of Light' ain't that bad, the problem is that Smith's is far suprerior.

But I'd say I disagree that 16 is too many. Although overall they aren't superb like in the past - 16 is really not that much when you have 72 minutes long album.

Smith is spectacular through the album though :ok:

Janick also delivers some enjoyable guitar solos.

Serratia said:
Which brings me to expressing my admiration for Forostar's ability to tell who plays what. :ok:

Ditto.  I'm glad that a focus is being given to the musical aspect of the new CD.  Forostar, good job.  :ok: Attention to solos adds enthusiasm to the CD, at least for me. 

For those people who are criticizing Dave's soloing on this CD, could you please explain why you think his work is inferior on AMOLAD?  It is easy to say "not as good", but harder to express why.  Still, I'd prefer if people tried.

Lazo said:
But I'd say I disagree that 16 is too many. Although overall they aren't superb like in the past - 16 is really not that much when you have 72 minutes long album.

Indeed. Relatively seen, "A Matter of Life and Death" has the least solos of all Maiden albums (I estimated this ; I didn't calculate it yet).

That's every four and a half minute ONE solo (average).

So, if this is too much then ALL Maiden albums have too many solos, haven't they?  :uhm:

@GenghisKhan & Serratia: thanks for your nice words !

Forostar said:
So, if this is too much then ALL Maiden albums have too many solos, haven't they?  :uhm:

No. It's a matter of quality. Some of the solos on the new album aren't that good. On previous albums, especially in the 80s, almost every solo was a high point. Back then great solos could salvage a dodgy song, e.g. Quest For Fire. Also, Dave's solos have become rather samey in recent years. Breeg stands out as one his best solos in ages.

Re. Genghis, "For those people who are criticizing Dave's soloing on this CD, could you please explain why you think his work is inferior on AMOLAD?  It is easy to say "not as good", but harder to express why."

It's a matter of consistency. The Breeg solo is fluid, sounds thought-through and practiced extensively before recording. It makes the song. Dave's solo on For the Greater Good is the complete opposite. In fact, it sounds like a cut and paste job. His Lord of Light solo is simply unnecessary. As has been pointed out above, it is not a bad solo, but pales in comparison to Adrian's superb effort and doesn't justify itself.

To me the guitar solos from Gers, Smith and Murray in God sound great. Brilliant masterpieces, though.

I think these are some of the less inspired solos they ever conceived, specially Dave's one. Boring as the song.

Dave's solos were a let down almost throughout the album... :(
Especially that one on FTGGOG.I always consider him Maiden's #1 guitarist and I'm sure he could have done a lot better than that.

Smith's solos sound the best and I don't find Janick's as bad as most people think.

I think the best has to be Dave and Adrian's solos on The Longest Day, solely for their ability to carry the action of the song on their backs, rather than slowing it down or getting in the way.

My second choice though has to be Adrian and Janick's solos on Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

I'd just like to add that I actually like Janick's solos in the studio but live he's just all over the place.

[QUIBbling enor, post: 147613, member: 6018"]I wonder how could you tell which solo is played by who? Sometimes it seems simple to decide (The Legacy), but other times I honestly do not know (The greater good...). Maybe I do not know enough of their styles :)[/QUOTE]
Even though i am familiar with their styles, sometimes they do sound similar. I still would prefer if Maiden printed lead guitar credits with the lyrics like judas priest and slayer did back in the 80s.

Back