Ghost of the Navigator

How good is Ghost of the Navigator on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Ghost of the Navigator

Fantastic song, one of the best they have ever done.  10.

Eddies Wingman said:
Isn't it? That very same melody forms the basis of the chorus ... would you prefer an exact repetition of the intro?

Yes, exactly like the start — before the rhythm section kicks in — somewhere in the instrumental break.

I don't listen to it as much as I used to, but it's a very good song. 8/10. My favorite part is the pre-chorus.  :shred:

A very strong song, but not one which has ever absolutely blown me away. The story-telling lyrics are great though. I was wavering on an 8, but I think this probably deserves a 9/10.

Ghost of the Navigator is one of the first Maiden songs that got my attention. I like the intro so much, it's a little sad that they didn't continue with progression of that pattern. But the rest is still amazing, Bruce's performance is great. 10/10.

Fantastic intro, and fantastic riffs. Great lyrics also. Works great in concert after The Wicker Man. 10/10.

a great rocking tune that harkens back to the glory days of Maiden in the 80s... but unfortunately harkens back a little TOO well. The song is set for glory but then the horribly chintzy verse comes along, "I see the ghosts of navigators but they are lost, As they sail into the sunset they'll count the cost." I just can't get past this - it's choppy, doesn't fit the rhythm of the song (i mean the lyrical rhythm, not the music), and is of such a far lower caliber than any other lyric on the BNW album that it sounds like they went with the winner of a contest to "write your own verse to the next Maiden song." Worse still, all it does is remind me of Die With Your Boots On - it's fair to say that the phrase count/ing the cost isn't trademarked and you can use it whenever you want, but Maiden used it to such better effect in DWYBO that here it sounds like a cheesey re-tread. Remove this verse and this song is a 9. I hate to do it, but I gave it a 6 instead.

I think if this song were on DoD or AMOLAD, I would have given it a higher rating, but because it's BNW, the reunion album, it sounds far too much like they tried to insert a line that would make the crowd whoop. Something familiar and warm. 

The mood of this song is incredible. I literally feel like I'm at sea. It's almost perfect, but a little too repetitive. I wish the instrumental section was longer.

The best thing Janick ever did with Maiden was co-write this song with Steve. Lyrics make me think of Pirates of the Caribbean

It is one of these songs where the main riff is great,the singing is great,the mid section is great....but then the drums are kind of simple and the song goes on forever.I actually never got why they had to utilise the third guitar in such a "simple" way.Imean by just following the voice lines.

The song that hooked me on Iron Maiden - that intro is just amazing. Janick's guitar following the vocal melody is coincidentally my favourite thing about the song.

9/10.

A good song, and a great continuation of the album. The song have a magnificent intro and a great riff. The problem I have with the song thou is that there are to many pieces which are good on their own but doesn't work together. Thats a pity, as a want to like the song as a whole. The verses are good, the chorus is good, the solos and harmonies are good, and the atmosphere is great! But there is something about the flow that annoys me.

Bruce performance here is stunning. As a whole, Brave New World have the best vocals on any Maiden album. Bruce is on the top of his game (he have really developed since Fear Of The Dark), the vocals are carefully thought out and there are great dynamics, there are several good harmonies on the album, and the vocals sits in the mix! As a vocalist myself I'm pleased.

7/10

Ghost of the Navigator rounds out one of the greatest 1-2 punches in Maiden's history. This one has a bit more going on than The Wicker Man, but the energy and power is still there. Love Janick's riffing on this song, especially during the verse. The chorus is one of Maiden's best ever. Bruce gives an awesome performance here. Perfect combination of gritty and operatic. I also like how the chorus melody is harmonized for a brief moment at the end.

Janick delivers one of his best solos on this song. It has that signature frantic style, but there's a clear direction there. The instrumental interlude afterwards feels like a leftover from Virtual XI, but it has the power that many of those moments on the previous album lacked.

One of the best songs they've done.

Back