German History question

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
I have you in mind for this, Perun, but anyone who knows WTF he's talking about can answer.

I can't find clear confirmation of this anywhere one way or the other in English, and I haven't been practising my German in the past few years so I'm a bit rusty.

After WW2, Germany was divided into four zones of occupation. The three zones in the West (USA, France, UK) eventually came together to form the Federal Republic.

The city of Bremen and Bremerhaven were deep in the British zone, but under American occupation for a while. Fine and dandy, I understand why (USA wanted a presence in the Northern part of Germany, etc.)

What I don't understand is this: one source I have read is saying that Bremen didn't officially become part of the BRD until 1991. Is this true? If so, can anyone tell me what reasons were given for it? Did it create any sort of weird administrative anomalies for travellers?

Thanks in advance!

I am not German but I find that interesting and I'm also curious for Per's reply. Right now I don't see the 1991 issue (what source do you have?) but I found the following on wiki. Perhaps you have already seen it/tried to translate it, but just in case:

-------
Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg wurden Bremen und Bremerhaven zunächst britische Besatzungszone und ab 1947 wegen ihrer Häfen eine amerikanische Besatzungszone als US-Exklave im britisch besetzten Umland. Das Kfz-Kennzeichen war demzufolge von 1948 bis 1956: „AE“ = „Amerikanische Exklave“. Die amerikanischen Streitkräfte beanspruchten Bremen für sich, um Zugang zu dessen Seehäfen (port of embarkation) zu erlangen. Dies erleichterte es Bremen, seine Selbständigkeit gegenüber dem niedersächsischen Umland zu erhalten. Durch eine Übereinkunft der britischen und amerikanischen Besatzungsbehörden vom 22. Januar 1947 und durch die Proklamation Nr. 3 der amerikanischen Militärregierung vom 21. Januar 1947 wurden das Stadt- und Landgebiet Bremens sowie der Stadtkreis Wesermünde, einschließlich Bremerhavens, rückwirkend zum 1. Januar 1947 zu einem als Land zu bezeichnenden Verwaltungsgebiet erklärt.

Von 1945 bis 1965 war Wilhelm Kaisen (SPD) als Regierender Bürgermeister und ab 1948 als Präsident des Senats und Bürgermeister die prägende Führungspersönlichkeit des Landes (siehe Senat Kaisen I, II, III, IV V VI VII).

Am 21. Oktober 1947 trat die von Bürgermeister Theodor Spitta (BVP/FDP) entworfene und von der Bremer Bürgerschaft am 15. September 1947 beschlossene und durch Volksabstimmung am 12. Oktober 1947 angenommene Landesverfassung der Freien Hansestadt Bremen in Kraft. 1949 wurde Bremen ein Land der Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

-------

And this I found here:

-------
Bei Kriegsende 1945 wurde Bremen zunächst von den Briten, dann von den Amerikanern besetzt, die am 21.1.1947 das Land Bremen proklamierten. Am 6.2.1947 benannte die Stadtverordnetenversammlung von Wesermünde ihre Stadt in Bremerhaven um. Bremerhaven trat dann am 7.2.1947 in das Land Bremen ein. Damit gehört Bremen zu den wenigen früheren deutschen Bundesstaaten, die ihre historisch gewachsene Kontinuität als Länder in die 1949 gegründete BRD einbrachten.
-------

Right now I haven't much time to rewrite the whole thing in English, but if you want me to translate a certain part (or another text), I'll do my best.

Sorry mate, your source is wrong. Bremen was a full-fletched part of the Federal Republic from day one.
What I could imagine is that Bremen got confused with Berlin (two city-states, names look similar at the first look). West Berlin was under Allied occupation until the 2+4 treaties and did not become a formal part of the Federal Republic until reunification.

Perun said:
Sorry mate, your source is wrong. Bremen was a full-fletched part of the Federal Republic from day one.
What I could imagine is that Bremen got confused with Berlin (two city-states, names look similar at the first look). West Berlin was under Allied occupation until the 2+4 treaties and did not become a formal part of the Federal Republic until reunification.

I pretty much figured that to be the case. When I read it the other day, it made me stop and think "WTF" to myself. It was one of those weird little things in history that seem unlikely, but just plausible enough to make a non-expert doubt himself.

Thanks to both of you!

Back