Gamma Ray 2012 Results Thread, Rebellion in Dreamland wins!

Unknown One

I see the ghost of navigators.
Welcome to 2012 Gamma Ray Survivor!

Rules will be similar to SMX's Survivors, with a few differences.
- 2 songs per album get promoted to the finals.
- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the finals.
- Until we get to final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- All studio albums are included. Bonus tracks will be included but not cover songs (unless they are on the album proper of course) or "remastered" versions of older songs (Eg. The Silence bonus track on Land of the Free). Additionally, Heroes and Miracle are alternative versions of albums tracks so both of those are not included either.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary (probably 1-5), depending on ties etc.

Rounds will last for 3 days.

Money, Look at Yourself, Lonesome Stranger, Sail On, As Time Goes By, One With The World, Start Running, Countdown, Who Do you Think We Are?

Also, I forgot Mr. Outlaw from the debut (bonus track). Anyone who wants to vote this song please write it in your posts (I am not voting for it this round)!

Rich and Famous, As Time Goes By, (We Won't) Stop the War, Start Running, Countdown​
100.0%​

Mr Outlaw, not a fantastic Gamma Ray song, probably won't reach the final (don't like the chorus) but the music is really cool. IMO a better track than all the ones I am voting for now. You could add it in the next round (if people don't like it, it will be gone soon anyway). ;-)

Look at Yourself is a cover (Uriah Heep).

1. Heaven Can Wait
  2. Money
  3. Look At Yourself
  4. Lonesome Stranger
  5. Sail On
  6. Rich and Famous
  7. (We Won't) Stop the War
  8. Start Running
  9. Countdown
  10. Who Do You Think You Are?

Only on the CD version of the album (so still a kind of bonus track ;-), but I even forgot about that.
Actually, this survival serves as a treat to play bring back some memories.

Welcome
Look At Yourself
Lonesome Stranger
Changes
Father & Son
Start Running
Countdown
The Spirit
Who Do You Think You Are

*Forostar starts promo talk for some of his favourite Gamma Ray songs*

Such an early vote for Changes and The Spirit (and Father and Son in lesser extent) is heresy in my eyes! These contain some of the best melodies and awesome solo parts. Changes is everything but happy metal. A well constructed, dark song and a daring opener with interesting time signature and threatening atmosphere. The Spirit must have some of the most catchy guitar riffs (enriched by acoustic guitar) and vocal lines. Great guitar melody and the solo is unforgettable. Love the end as well, fading out with passionate vocals by Scheepers.

I like slower songs, just not on these albums :p Also, I see you don't really like happier/goofier GR songs which I find awesome, like Rich & Famous, Heaven Can Wait and Money.

Correct. Looks like our tastes match best in songs like As Time Goes By.
I am also glad Free Time doesn't have votes yet. It has a memorable Adrian Smith kinda guitar solo.

Yeah, As Time Goes By is awesome. Top 3 from Sigh No More with Rich & Famous and Dream Healer (the best one:edmetal:).

Did you notice that Hansen "remade" I Want Out a number of times on various Gamma Ray albums?

Heaven Can Wait
Rich and Famous
Valley of the Kings
Send Me a Sign
Heaven or Hell

Well, play them after each other and you'll see repetition in build-up. The tempo's and drum patterns are very similar as well.

Real World.

That one as well, though it's a bit slower. Trademark is that often the guitars go out in the first couplet (not in the first three cases). The guitar riffing is often very similar as well, and the structure and the placement of the vocal lines in the choruses too.

Personally my favourite from Sigh No More is definitely Changes (Dream Healer is great as well though and Rich and Famous isn't too far behind). Looking at the votes it seems the debut is more popular than Sigh No More and I have to agree with that assessment.

My tastes of Gamma Ray have never grabbed me and I am clueless about their stuff.
But I like the fact you guys are actually talking about the songs.
Hope that holds true in other survivors.

Changes might be my number one as well, but Dream Healer is close.
I find the best songs from Sigh No More better than the best from the debut.

Welcome mckindog and try this:
and
this:

while you're at it. I am curious what you think of it (and what you would not like about it). :)

Back