FUNNY / RANDOM / WEIRD Pictures...

This is a classic situation I encountered during my military service. In my platoon there was nobody except myself to know names such as Pink Floyd or Rolling Stones. I was desperate.

On the other hand they were all listening some fourth tier “popular” local songs from artists I never heard in my life.

*To be fair, in the platoon next door there was a metalhead who introduced me to the Barlow era of Iced Earth, Something Wicked, Horror Show and all; awesome listenings to trick the time that wouldn’t pass, pass!

Have you had a similar cultural shock during your service? @Shmoolikipod @Saapanael

This is a classic situation I encountered during my military service. In my platoon there was nobody except myself to know names such as Pink Floyd or Rolling Stones. I was desperate.

On the other hand they were all listening some fourth tier “popular” local songs from artists I never heard in my life.

*To be fair, in the platoon next door there was a metalhead who introduced me to the Barlow era of Iced Earth, Something Wicked, Horror Show and all; awesome listenings to trick the time that wouldn’t pass, pass!

Have you had a similar cultural shock during your service? @Shmoolikipod @Saapanael
I didn’t talk about music much with the other guys as I assumed to be an odd one out anyway. There was one guy who went to the same school as I did, and we talked about music and film sometimes. That was it, really. Pink Floyd was one of my most played artists during military service. I remember listening to Wish You Were Here so much that when we were in forest camp, I would wake up shivering at 5 am with that song playing in my head first thing in the morning.

I didn’t talk about music much with the other guys as I assumed to be an odd one out anyway.

I didn't talk too much either but for example during siesta time always somebody would put some music loudly and others would move around (or not) his bed accordingly giving up their musical tastes. I used to put a lot Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones and from the reactions of the others I realized that they didn't even know the names.

Pink Floyd was one of my most played artists during military service. I remember listening to Wish You Were Here so much that when we were in forest camp, I would wake up shivering at 5 am with that song playing in my head first thing in the morning.

Yes, Wish You Were Here was mine too. Endless listenings. During siesta and walking with my best mate.

Hmm, it wasn't a particularly hot topic for me either. I don't remember any metalheads other than one guy who liked Dio, and another from a base in the west bank I was in for a good amount of my service. My musical contribution didn't go beyond putting Devin Townsend's ambient album The Hummer on the speaker and waiting for somebody to notice. Known troll move I play on my friends at home too.

There was cultural shock on other fronts, but I had an open mind about music then already so I accepted and expected whatever was put on. On kitchen duty it was 50% classic mizrahit and 50% of the godawful modern garbage variant. I died a little whenever one of those guys came to shower and I just got in. Worth mentioning now that I was a vehicle mechanic, so engulfed by noise all day and often well into the late hours. And on top of that noise they played music from our huge speaker, which I found dumb so I never put on any of mine. But we had good diversity, my Ethiopian mate loved rap (and I loved telling him it's shit), had one that listened to whatever was popular now, one who played a lot of trances, and my Bedouin commander occasionally played what sounded like prayers in Arabic, I believe I already mentioned this when we were talking about Zvara in the GMSC.

(Regarding The Hummer, I worked mostly on hummer vehicles but always thought they're spelled with an 'a', like the tool. It was the greatest day of my life when I discovered it's the same as the album, no exaggeration :p.)

I was a vehicle mechanic

Funny I was also a mechanic, for patrol boats. Engineering corps. Except that there was no patrol boats around hahah I was stationed 50+ kms from the sea.

my Bedouin commander occasionally played what sounded like prayers in Arabic, I believe I already mentioned this when we were talking about Zvara in the GMSC.

Bedouin! I was very impressed from the racial diversity when I visited Israel. I was walking on the streets of Eilat and Tel Aviv and I was like, "are you kidding me?"
Yes I remember you mentioning it, but also impressed you still remember the name "Zvara"

Funny I was also a mechanic, for patrol boats. Engineering corps. Except that there was no patrol boats around hahah I was stationed 50+ kms from the sea.
Wait, so what the hell were you actually doing? :lol:
Bedouin! I was very impressed from the racial diversity when I visited Israel. I was walking on the streets of Eilat and Tel Aviv and I was like, "are you kidding me?"
Yes I remember you mentioning it, but also impressed you still remember the name "Zvara"
Yeah, that was part of the culture clash. Imagine the most hot-tempered work driven tester suddenly having this quiet Ashkenazi that doesn't respond to anything and can barely hold a screwdriver under his command. It was hell at the beginning but we made steps towards each other I think, the other NCOs (second in charge) said he only mellowed because he received complaints. Maybe half true.

I remembered the band name, searched for the song yesterday and listened to it, it's really great.

Wait, so what the hell were you actually doing? :lol:

Well the first half it was dark and super hard, something like the first half of Ben Hur film hahah!
As I didn't have any speciality to save me, I was doing guardian, guardian and guardian especially the 4 -6am which is the worst as you may know. At least in our code back then it was considering the worst thing that could happen. We were calling it the "German number" German meaning hard.
Anyway, in my country 20 years ago the person who was telling the others what to do was a soldier and the chief soldier of my platoon really hated me, hence my suffering.

Around at half of my time there, a strange law was voted and almost all of my class should leave immediately to other units. We would remain only 6 people of my class and the rest would be younger classes, our "sons" and "grandsons".
Detail: The chief -soldier who was older class, was at leave that time, he gave himself a hefty leave before coming back stay for two weeks and take his relief paper.

Anyway, all 5 others of my class were well connected working in the offices of various officers, good guys. I was quite wild and they didn't particularly liked me, stayed away not to have any trouble, you know how it is, but they decided to hand me the reigns and make me the chief soldier so I would protect them from heavy duties. (They were terrorised that a younger class soldier take the reigns and put them to work :D)

So out of nowhere, from professional 4 -6am guardian, I became the master of Universe in no time and I had the time of my life. Especially when the mother fucker came back from his leave, he saw me in the chief's office and was in shock hahhah. Needless to say that until the very last day he was guardian every day 4 -6am, toilets and everything else I could make his life miserable. I even sent him to camp for 2 days. Camping in our code was something to be avoided at all costs, let alone for someone ready to be dismissed.

Note that in my country 20 years ago, being guardian 1 -2 months before the end was considering not honorable in the subculture of the soldiers, let alone 4 -6am which was kind of insult if it was repeated even for freshmen. But he had fucked me so much all this months and it was the least I could do.

But it was magic man. The moment I sent him to camping, it was EXACT copy paste, from the moment he had sent me a few months earlier, I swear. I was sitting on the same chair as he was sitting, my feet on the table. He came in the room in panic, he sees me smiling and understands what happened.
No5: You don't mind going to camping do you?
Bastard: Of course not are you kidding? I love camping.
No5: That's great, good to know.

This exactly scene, same desk, foot on the table, hands behind head, same dialogues exactly as it had happened when he sent me to Camping.

Great memories, man thanks :D

Well the first half it was dark and super hard, something like the first half of Ben Hur film hahah!
As I didn't have any speciality to save me, I was doing guardian, guardian and guardian especially the 4 -6am which is the worst as you may know. At least in our code back then it was considering the worst thing that could happen. We were calling it the "German number" German meaning hard.
Anyway, in my country 20 years ago the person who was telling the others what to do was a soldier and the chief soldier of my platoon really hated me, hence my suffering.

Around at half of my time there, a strange law was voted and almost all of my class should leave immediately to other units. We would remain only 6 people of my class and the rest would be younger classes, our "sons" and "grandsons".
Detail: The chief -soldier who was older class, was at leave that time, he gave himself a hefty leave before coming back stay for two weeks and take his relief paper.

Anyway, all 5 others of my class were well connected working in the offices of various officers, good guys. I was quite wild and they didn't particularly liked me, stayed away not to have any trouble, you know how it is, but they decided to hand me the reigns and make me the chief soldier so I would protect them from heavy duties. (They were terrorised that a younger class soldier take the reigns and put them to work :D)

So out of nowhere, from professional 4 -6am guardian, I became the master of Universe in no time and I had the time of my life. Especially when the mother fucker came back from his leave, he saw me in the chief's office and was in shock hahhah. Needless to say that until the very last day he was guardian every day 4 -6am, toilets and everything else I could make his life miserable. I even sent him to camp for 2 days. Camping in our code was something to be avoided at all costs, let alone for someone ready to be dismissed.

Note that in my country 20 years ago, being guardian 1 -2 months before the end was considering not honorable in the subculture of the soldiers, let alone 4 -6am which was kind of insult if it was repeated even for freshmen. But he had fucked me so much all this months and it was the least I could do.

But it was magic man. The moment I sent him to camping, it was EXACT copy paste, from the moment he had sent me a few months earlier, I swear. I was sitting on the same chair as he was sitting, my feet on the table. He came in the room in panic, he sees me smiling and understands what happened.
No5: You don't mind going to camping do you?
Bastard: Of course not are you kidding? I love camping.
No5: That's great, good to know.

This exactly scene, same desk, foot on the table, hands behind head, same dialogues exactly as it had happened when he sent me to Camping.

Great memories, man thanks :D
Hahahaha, great story man thanks for sharing! Military culture is so petty, you have to keep reminding yourself it isn't summer camp (and boy did anyone who forget get a wake-up call...)

We had it too, it's called pazam games (pazam is how long you've been serving), heavily discouraged in my unit, but sons and grandsons and shafting the youngsters are all too familiar to me. Last month of service was glorious, it was last July and in June I had a month off working in a normal job, some program of the tech corps. July 1st I'm home eating burgers with friends for my birthday, and we argue whether it's harder to open mayonnaise packets or ketchup, so I do the sensible thing and make a poll in the company's WhatsApp group.

Arrive at base next day and suddenly I'm the hottest talk, can't be left alone the whole month because the people are so thirsty for polls. And that's when I discover like half the company thinks I'm new! Oh the indignation. :p So after the "news" that I am in fact the next to be relieved go viral, I'm guarding some bullshit empty bunker and some mates come over, including the sergeant and she tells me she won't give me any more duties. Fat chance that happens I tell her, and surprise surprise every day that month whoever is assigned kitchen is suddenly sick, and guess who's available and happy to fill in.

And about this was said, "it isn't over til it's over".

Hahahaha, great story man thanks for sharing! Military culture is so petty, you have to keep reminding yourself it isn't summer camp (and boy did anyone who forget get a wake-up call...)

Hahaha thanks man, I knew you'd like it. I was amazed by the sub-culture of the army. What was impressive was that the code was completely different from outside life, the "currency" was different. The "richest" person was the one who did the less. Sleep was the real currency, the more you slept (meaning you manage to escape doing things) the more you were "rich" and the others recognised and respected you.

I have 3 magic stories from the army, the one I told you already, it was the copy paste karma when I send the bastard to the camping. The second one was related with how the sub-culture is transmitted from generation to generation. Wonderful stuff.

The story started in my training camp, 2 months in freshman. If you were Machinery Operator in Engineering Corps 20 years ago, you had to go through a very hard specialized training, where the old soldiers had a real, established power on you, sometimes abusing like if you were special forces. The reason was that for all the specialities (except mine :D) people would take a diploma with which they could find a job outside, i.e. bulldozer operator, etc.
Anyway, this was the environment and this additional training was the reason why I arrived in my unit the last in my class and became "professional guardian", etc.

One of our trainers was the D. a young bulldozer operator in the outside life that younger freshmen respected and feared a lot. In US you'd call him a redneck, or someone from the most remote village of Wisconsin, in Isreal I don't know the equivalence but you get the idea. I don't think he even had finished school.

Anyway, one day he took us to the doctor, like we are all 15 waiting outside waiting for our turn the doctor to see us. He was with us. Uncomfortable silence.
One of the most young (and fishy) persons of my class, then decided to break the silence and he asks D.

Fish: Mr. D can I ask you something? (Mister! What a fish he was ahahah)
D: Yes, what
Fish: Does the time pass in the army? (What the fuck of a question is that hahahah?)
D: Time pass, the moment doesn't.

And I am. What the fuck! He is a fucking poet the guy! How the fuck this guy from the mountains came up with such a poetic phrase? My impression of that moment was IMMENSE and I kept this dialogue inside me for the rest of my term.

Fast fwd a few months. I have became the chief soldier, reigned supreme for a time in my main unit and it's now my time to be transferred to the last unit for the last 2 months from where I would take the release paper.
I am the last of my Class left in the camp, I have make the hand-over to the new Master of Universe, a "son" of mine and I am out in the town for the last coffee goodbye, mainly with grandsons as also most of the sons had too left.

It was a completely boring outing for most of part, we were looking at the people in the coffeeshop without talking too much. Silence. At some point one the younger ones turns to me and says:

Youngster: Mr. 5 can I ask you something?
No5: Sure, go on.
Youngster: Does the time pass in the army?

Again. Word by word same question. Apocalypse in my mind! A time tunnel that two moments months apart, connected in a way as if one moment just followed the other.
Then I knew. This beautiful phrase "Time pass, the moment doesn't" wasn't D's. He had listen it from somewhere, maybe even he had made that same question when he was young and received that answer.
This phrase could be 50 years old, preserved from mouth to mouth due to its beauty, from generation to generation living only in the sub-culture of the army, because there would be always one moment that some young would ask this question to an older who then would pass the torch to the next one and so on.

I felt in awe by that moment and without further explanation or analysis, being in the end of my journey I replied copy paste what I had heard when I was in the beginning of it.

No5: Time pass, the moment doesn't.

:D

Fish: Mr. D can I ask you something? (Mister! What a fish he was ahahah)
D: Yes, what
Fish: Does the time pass in the army? (What the fuck of a question is that hahahah?)
D: Time pass, the moment doesn't.
LOL! First day I arrived in my unit, I'm waiting at the human resources office going through the forms, and some dude who's just been relieved comes and tells me "don't worry, time flies here you'll see". Damn right it does. I'm guessing after 32 months of shouting "ad matai" (til when) and "kama od" (how much longer), this was his euphoric moment to share his wisdom with the world.

I have a short anecdote very tangentially related to your story, it isn't really about military culture more about stereotypical Jerusalemites, which if you really want a comparison to rednecks maybe this is the most apt one. Initially we were four new guys, one of them I'll call Max. Kinda racist guy, threw all the work on me and then gaslighted me about being punished for continuing to sleep, wasn't permitted to come to field work because he'd throw stones at Arabs, just an absolute douche. Eventually he faked COVID or something and I never saw him again.

Of course, he thought me being the reserved 180 of him means I'm a fucking idiot child or something. I'm not sure he realized how much I hated him. His "catchphrase" when we were talking (or more often, when he was talking about me in my very presence) was, "ahla Shmoolikipod!". IDK if you know what "ahla" means, it's basically an interjection/adjective that means nice or good. Every utterance was concluded with an "ahla Shmoolikipod".

Well forward some 10 months from recruitment, the ass has already disappeared and some new people are arriving at our class, one of them (let's call him Moshe) to not my team but to the armoured vehicles. He's in my room, and we're just sitting there that evening he arrived talking a little, getting to know each other. He's also a Jerusalemite like Max and I notice a lot of similarities in their speech so I chalk it up to local language. Eventually he asks me to bring him his phone from the charger. But after I do he says, "ahla Shmoolikipod!".

I swear, at that moment nothing less than Max's very soul inhibited Moshe's body, out to taunt me. It was the same voice with the exact same cadence and patronising tone, I must've hallucinated. He turned out to be a cool guy, like the better side of Max, in fact towards the end of service Max returned for a bit (thankfully we didn't meet) and I heard Moshe made quick friends with him, but that moment was surreal.

LOL! First day I arrived in my unit, I'm waiting at the human resources office going through the forms, and some dude who's just been relieved comes and tells me "don't worry, time flies here you'll see". Damn right it does. I'm guessing after 32 months of shouting "ad matai" (til when) and "kama od" (how much longer), this was his euphoric moment to share his wisdom with the world.

I have a short anecdote very tangentially related to your story, it isn't really about military culture more about stereotypical Jerusalemites, which if you really want a comparison to rednecks maybe this is the most apt one. Initially we were four new guys, one of them I'll call Max. Kinda racist guy, threw all the work on me and then gaslighted me about being punished for continuing to sleep, wasn't permitted to come to field work because he'd throw stones at Arabs, just an absolute douche. Eventually he faked COVID or something and I never saw him again.

Of course, he thought me being the reserved 180 of him means I'm a fucking idiot child or something. I'm not sure he realized how much I hated him. His "catchphrase" when we were talking (or more often, when he was talking about me in my very presence) was, "ahla Shmoolikipod!". IDK if you know what "ahla" means, it's basically an interjection/adjective that means nice or good. Every utterance was concluded with an "ahla Shmoolikipod".

Well forward some 10 months from recruitment, the ass has already disappeared and some new people are arriving at our class, one of them (let's call him Moshe) to not my team but to the armoured vehicles. He's in my room, and we're just sitting there that evening he arrived talking a little, getting to know each other. He's also a Jerusalemite like Max and I notice a lot of similarities in their speech so I chalk it up to local language. Eventually he asks me to bring him his phone from the charger. But after I do he says, "ahla Shmoolikipod!".

I swear, at that moment nothing less than Max's very soul inhibited Moshe's body, out to taunt me. It was the same voice with the exact same cadence and patronising tone, I must've hallucinated. He turned out to be a cool guy, like the better side of Max, in fact towards the end of service Max returned for a bit (thankfully we didn't meet) and I heard Moshe made quick friends with him, but that moment was surreal.

Thanks for sharing! There’s something about the army. It’s a loss of time, people should avoid serving at all cost and all but it does produces some interesting stories. Maybe because it’s a closed system, like a prison really and people are oppressed and need to produce some fun who knows, but it does.

32 months is unbearable man. Do they pay you at least? In my country practically no, they were giving 8€ /month or rather less, I remember it was enough to buy a packet of cigarettes, thus maybe 4€ or something. My cigarettes should cost 2€ back then or 3€?

I don’t remember out of the bat to have something similar to “ad matai”, we used to count the days for “lelé” a funny mock word which comes from apolelé a Biblical or New Testament story about a lost (apololos) sheep.
The day of dismissal was the “lelé” day, so the count was like 320+1, 1 meaning the day of receiving “the document”

Kama od my god?? :D

Thanks for sharing! There’s something about the army. It’s a loss of time, people should avoid serving at all cost and all but it does produces some interesting stories. Maybe because it’s a closed system, like a prison really and people are oppressed and need to produce some fun who knows, but it does.

32 months is unbearable man. Do they pay you at least? In my country practically no, they were giving 8€ /month or rather less, I remember it was enough to buy a packet of cigarettes, thus maybe 4€ or something. My cigarettes should cost 2€ back then or 3€?

I don’t remember out of the bat to have something similar to “ad matai”, we used to count the days for “lelé” a funny mock word which comes from apolelé a Biblical or New Testament story about a lost (apololos) sheep.
The day of dismissal was the “lelé” day, so the count was like 320+1, 1 meaning the day of receiving “the document”

Kama od my god?? :D
Damn, 8 euros per month??? That's insanity! Here you get between 1200 shekels to 2600, so 300 to 650 euros, depending on your role and level of risk (higher risk = higher pay).

It was supposed to go down to 30 months but now it's probably going back up to 36. Poor guys. Meh, as if you ever really get released, I was in reserves for five months after the war started, now God knows what will happen with Lebanon... Fuck this shit man. Everything feels hopeless.

Damn, 8 euros per month??? That's insanity! Here you get between 1200 shekels to 2600, so 300 to 650 euros, depending on your role and level of risk (higher risk = higher pay).

Yes, that's why everyone tries to avoid doing anything. As a matter of fact being a soldier is bigger financial burden (at least for me it was) than being a student as I served on the other side of the country.
Hmmm 1200 -2600 shekels is also not that much considering the hugely long service required. But I guess there must be protective laws i.e. in Greece the employer could not fire you one year prior your service and he was obliged to rehire you after the service was over.

It was supposed to go down to 30 months but now it's probably going back up to 36. Poor guys. Meh, as if you ever really get released, I was in reserves for five months after the war started, now God knows what will happen with Lebanon... Fuck this shit man. Everything feels hopeless.

That's good man, happy for you that they didn't call you back.
When I was in vacation last April I met a director (permanent personnel, not political) of Netanyahu's office. She told me her son was had been released 10 days earlier and that he was there with her.
I didn't know that it works like this. I thought that if you are in and there's a war, they extend your term. Anyway, good for her good for you, let's hope it stays that way and you continue to be outside.

Ah yes, now it's Lebanon. Fuck.

Back