FUNNY / RANDOM / WEIRD Pictures...

Sup is not archaic English usage. And supped (the biblical quote [misquoted?] used to make the "what's up" joke) is not archaic either.
e.g. he supped at his hot cup of tea.

My point was only in regard to Wingman's comment: why would you need to be exclusively Swedish to understand the connection of the quote to drinking. You don't. This is pretty much what is means in English too.

Last edited:
Sup is not archaic English usage. And supped (the biblical quote [misquoted?] used to make the "what's up joke) is not archaic either.
e.g. he supped at his hot cup of tea.

My point was only in regard to Wingman's comment: why would you need to be exclusively Swedish to understand the connection of the quote to drinking. You don't. This is pretty much what is means in English too.
I suppose the word supper, as in evening meal, is what tricked me into believing the main usage in English would be in reference to eating. And then there is the similar word sip which I thought to be more commonly used. One learns every day.

Now get back to the funny pictures please.

I suppose the word supper, as in evening meal, is what tricked me into believing the main usage in English would be in reference to eating. And then there is the similar word sip which I thought to be more commonly used. One learns every day.

Now get back to the funny pictures please.
I'd guess sup/sip/supper are all etymological related. Certainly today most people would associate (in the UK) sup or sip specifically with drinking something; but not particularly with alcohol. But I gather the word means a small quantity of either food or drink i.e. the meaning intended by the use in the biblical quote (by Paul?).

kGbDjsy.jpg

I'd guess sup/sip/supper are all etymological related. Certainly today most people would associate (in the UK) sup or sip specifically with drinking something; but not particularly with alcohol. But I gather the word means a small quantity of either food or drink i.e. the meaning intended by the use in the biblical quote (by Paul?).
In American English, "Sup" is a contraction of "what's up".

Back