France Hit By Wave Of Protests Over Jobs Plan

A

Anonymous

Tens of thousands of students and workers marched in Paris and other French cities today in what was expected to be the biggest show of anger yet at a jobs plan that has led to violence in the streets and threatens to weaken the government.
For the second time in three days, students – this time joined by unions and employees – were using marches to press the conservative government to withdraw the measure, which could take effect in April.
“We are not disposable. We deserve better,” said Aurelie Silan, a 20-year-old student who joined the massive protest in the French capital. She held aloft a banner mocking Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin – just one sign of the mounting pressure he faces.
“Aren’t we the future of France?” Silan asked.
In Toulouse in south-western France, between 21,000 and 33,000 people marched against the jobs plan to cries of “No to a government that makes students (and) workers fodder for employers.” In Lyon, in the south-east, police put the number of de

Tens of thousands of students and workers marched in Paris and other French cities today in what was expected to be the biggest show of anger yet at a jobs plan that has led to violence in the streets and threatens to weaken the government.
For the second time in three days, students – this time joined by unions and employees – were using marches to press the conservative government to withdraw the measure, which could take effect in April.
“We are not disposable. We deserve better,” said Aurelie Silan, a 20-year-old student who joined the massive protest in the French capital. She held aloft a banner mocking Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin – just one sign of the mounting pressure he faces.
“Aren’t we the future of France?” Silan asked.
In Toulouse in south-western France, between 21,000 and 33,000 people marched against the jobs plan to cries of “No to a government that makes students (and) workers fodder for employers.” In Lyon, in the south-east, police put the number of de

*sigh*

Just when you thought the Krauts picked up the ball, the masters top it again.

I'm so tired of hearing news about striking. And I would also appreciate it if people would not post articled that are cut off in the middle of a word.

I thought these plans were to give French people more jobs... why are the students protesting? ::

A new law has been suggested/made(?) which makes the companies able to fire anyone under the age of 26 without any reason at all.

[!--quoteo(post=132413:date=Mar 18 2006, 10:49 PM:name=DeadlySinner)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DeadlySinner @ Mar 18 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]132413[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
A new law has been suggested/made(?) which makes the companies able to fire anyone under the age of 26 without any reason at all.
[/quote]
Thanks for clearing that up... I must be thinking about a different story [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=132413:date=Mar 19 2006, 12:49 AM:name=DeadlySinner)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DeadlySinner @ Mar 19 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]132413[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]

::
That is utter bull-shit! I would be pissed about this to.

It's late, and I'm tired, but could someone explain what could this do to improve the working conditions for french-men? ::

[!--quoteo(post=132416:date=Mar 19 2006, 12:04 AM:name=Black Ace)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Mar 19 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]132416[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
could someone explain what could this do to improve the working conditions for french-men? ::
[/quote]

I think it will be somewhat like the Industrial Revolution, people below the age of 26 get told to work harder and harder because they could get fired by their boss without a reason. Because they get sacked over and over they'll take the first job that they'll see I guess. I think you know how it will go. Some sort of slavery, you can step out though, but if you do you don't have any money.

Positive:
-More work gets done because people below the age of 26 work very hard.

Negative:
-People younger than 26 get surpressed and haven't got much to say.

Good for the majority but a hell for the minority. It does have its good halfs but I don't think it's fair.

This is what I think it is from what I've heard, just correct me if I was exhagerating at some point.

[!--quoteo(post=132413:date=Mar 18 2006, 06:49 PM:name=DeadlySinner)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DeadlySinner @ Mar 18 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]132413[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]

If they work hard and know their jobs, there won't be much point in the company ever firing them no matter how old they are. It costs a helluva lot to fire and employee. First you have to conduct a process to hire a new person (i.e. a senior manager has to spend at least a full day looking at resumes and another full day interviewing potential hires), then the new employee has to be trained to do the job - which requires another full-time employee to spend a week or more showing him what to do, then the new employee has to spend a long time on the job before he/she gets as productive as the last guy.....

In other words, this law will make it easier for French companies to remain competitive and PUNISH INCOMPETANCE. They won't fire a productive employee - it doesn't make business sense and hurts their bottom line.

France must be more of a nanny state than even Canada, and that is saying something.

[!--quoteo(post=132429:date=Mar 18 2006, 08:22 PM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 18 2006, 08:22 PM) [snapback]132429[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]France must be more of a nanny state than even Canada, and that is saying something.
[/quote]

I think you forgot an exclamation mark at the end there! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /] Although IronDuke people have not forgot David Emerson around UBC, and I hope they never do!

First of all, the post at the top of this thread is very odd.
Double-posting an incomplete paragraph about French politics ... from a Russian IP??? ::

[!--quoteo(post=132413:date=Mar 18 2006, 03:49 PM:name=DeadlySinner)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DeadlySinner @ Mar 18 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]132413[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]
This already exists in the US for the vast majority of workers. It's called "at-will employment". Every job I've had in the last 10 years has made me sign a contract agreeing to it. It means that the employment can be terminated at any time for any reason (or for no reason at all) without any prior notice by either the employer or the employee. It is mostly a legal construct so that employees can't (successfully) sue their employers for firing them. It's nothing more than Cover-Your-Ass legalese.

The nature of the first post makes me suspect the poster was a spambot. I wonder if other forums got hit with this same nonsense.

[!--quoteo(post=132436:date=Mar 19 2006, 03:11 AM:name=TheWickedChild)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(TheWickedChild @ Mar 19 2006, 03:11 AM) [snapback]132436[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think you forgot an exclamation mark at the end there! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /] Although IronDuke people have not forgot David Emerson around UBC, and I hope they never do!
[/quote]

Umm...ok? What in the name of 'Arry does this have to do with David Emerson? If you want to discuss parliamentary ethics (or lack thereof), make a seperate thread.

emot-wtc.gif

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Explain how corporations acting in their best interest correlates to distrust of government?

(Shhh Loosey. Slave to the power of death is not exactly a bright spark. Just smile and nod, as if you were taking him seriously. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /] )

Ahem... Yes, slave to the power of death, of course... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

That's assuredly what it is, especially if someone doesn't post high standard crap.

Let's leave it open. It's the first time that a spambot generates an interesting discussion. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

It'll die its natural death... I hope!

Back