Forum Rules

A

Anonymous

Here's a draft of what Real World and me think should be the forum rules. Bear in mind that modifications may be needed and that appropriate additions may also be necessary.

All relevant input welcome!

FORUM RULES

The purpose of the MaidenFans.com forum is mainly to discuss and provide news on Iron Maiden and related artists, such as Paul Di’Anno, BLAZE, Bruce Dickinson, or any solo effort by any member of the band, past or present. Of course the forum is subdivided into several areas where other topics can be discussed. Its sub-divisions are as follows:
  • Maiden Chat – Here, only strictly Maiden-related topics are discussed. We focus more on the artistic aspect of the band, and posts about the members’ private lives are not welcome unless they are relevant to the music (which is rarely the case!).

Polls Forum – This is a not-so-serious forum where you can ask other visitors for their opinions. People voting in this forum are kindly asked to voice their opinions, and not just click on a voting option. Seeing these polls being kicked up by anonymous voters can be quite annoying.

Solo/side projects discussion – This is the same as the Maiden chat, except that we don’t discuss Maiden here! Anything a member of Iron Maiden, past or present, does or has done outside the band can be discussed in this forum.

General Discussion – Feel like discussing something that’s not Maiden- or even music-related? This forum is for you. No Maiden topics here please. Likewise, if you want to discuss another Metal band, the Metal For Life Forums are happy to welcome you.

Musician Discussion – Do you need help and advice about the best pedals to get the most impressive effects for your solos? This is the place to ask. Discuss musical technique with your peers or learn from those who have more experience with their instrument in this forum.

Trade Forum – The title says it all. If you want to trade something or are looking for a specific item, you’re likely to find someone you can strike a deal with in this forum. Advertisements for commercial sites or people selling items are not welcome. If you want to sell your signed copy of The Soundhouse Tapes, please go to E-Bay. We do not condone trading of any sort involving official releases that inclused albums, videos singles and the like. Users trying to trade copyrighted material such as this will be warned once and once only.

Madness Forum – This is the place where you can let loose all the madness that’s in you. The weirdest threads have appeared there and many more will pop up in the future. That’s what this forum is made for. Serious talks not allowed!

Tab Archive – If you’re looking for tabs, this is the place to ask. Likewise, if you feel like sharing tabs with other Maiden fans, please feel free to do so in this forum.[/li]
There are, of course, other sub-forums whose names are clear enough and that do not need any further explanation. The International Forums are there for people who want to post in their native language; the Metal For Life Forums welcome discussion about other Metal bands; and the Commentary’s Forums are the place where you can post your comments and impressions about Iron Maiden songs.

General Posting Rules:
Provided that the messages are posted in the appropriate sub-forums, this is a open forum to talk about almost anything, and everybody is welcome and encouraged to share their ideas and opinions with the rest of our little community. In any case, try to keep it fun and interesting. Messages posted in the wrong forums will be moved to the right places, but please to not just count on the moderators to realise you’ve made a mistake. Use your brains before posting! Where appropriate a link will be left in the old forum to where it has been moved to so you know the thread has been moved. Please be aware that repeated instances of posting in the wrong forum could lead to a warning.

Searching:
Some topics you may be interested in have probably been posted already. Please check if there are any other threads on the subject you want to discuss before you start a new one. It doesn’t take that long and the search engine is there to help you.

Posting purely for the sake of increasing the post count is discouraged (not to mention annoying). So please let’s be reasonable and use good judgement; somebody with a few dozen well-thought messages will earn more respect from other readers than someone with 10,000 shallow messages.
Please note that posts in the Madness and Polls forum no longer increase your post count.

Content of the messages:
What you want to post is entirely up to you, but you need to be aware that a few basic rules need to apply like in any other community. Treat these forums as discussions between people and do not take advantage of the fact that you’re safely hidden behind your computer screen to let loose the stupidity we’re all capable of. Simply act as if you were among a group of people chatting together and do not say things you wouldn’t say in real life.

Messages with a blatant racist or sexist content will be deleted and the poster will see his/her warn level increased. If you have something against a particular ethnic group, fine; but we’re not interested. Likewise, insults to other board members will be frowned at before being deleted. A flame war has never been constructive, so please keep your hatred to yourself.

Language:
Unless otherwise stated, the language of the forums is English. There is nothing more annoying (and pretty rude of the poster) than to see a message written in another language in the middle of a thread. The messages should also be written as correctly as possible, naturally within the knowledge of English of the poster. Mistakes, of course, happen, and the “preview post” option is there to help you re-read your message before you send it to the board. However, if you still see a mistake after you’ve posted your thoughts, the “Edit” option allows you to correct it.

Swear words and foul language can be used like they are in real life, but should not be over-used either. We all swear from time to time, but it shouldn’t become a habit on this board. After all, we’re not Bruce ranting about Britney Spears during the Brave New World Tour!

For the native English speakers, please remember that the board is being read by a majority of people whose mother tongue is not English. While the occasional lapse in grammar, capital letters etc. are common place, we ask you NOT to speak using “txt spk” or “1337”. Our forum is not a mobile phone, nor is it a calculator. Members posting like this will be given a warning. We also highly discourage OVERUSE OF CAPITAL LETTERS. Theres a button usually on the left of the keyboard that says "Caps Lock" TURN IT OFF. If you’re not a moron in real life, you have no reason to look like one on a bulletin board!

Smileys:
The purpose of the smileys is to stress a point or indicate your mood when relevant. Reading a few lines of text does not show much of the writer’s intonation like in real life conversation where body language and facial expressions are important to get the message across properly. An apparently offensive message can be smoothened by the addition of a smiley that tells the readers that you’re not all that serious. Conversely, a sarcastic post can be highlighted by adding the right smiley.

The over-use of smileys, or their addition out of context, can be annoying. What’s the point in adding a smiley firing guns, for instance, when all you have to say is, “yes, you’re right”? The parsimonious and appropriate use of smileys is therefore recommended.

Moderation process
All moderators of this forum have the right to edit delete or move your posts without your consent or warning should they feel that their action is appropriate. In all other circumstances where rules are being broken the following procedure will be followed.

1. Private warning of conduct via private message
2. First warning
3. Second and final warning.
4. Ban or suspension of member privileges.

Under extreme circumstances 1 or more of the earlier steps may be bypassed.

Lack of action
Despite all our efforts, we can not read every post of every topic on every forum. If there is something we have missed that you think is in breach of our rules please use the "report" button found after every post on the forum. A moderator will then adress the problem as necessary.

Ignoring Users
The forum now allows you to ignore the posts of any user should you find their posts to be not worth reading. By clicking their profile or username you will find a link to ignore this user. From now on their posts will be hidden by default to you and anyone else who has chosen to ignore this user. Please use this option if you find someone annoying. It's much better than starting a flame war with them!

Maverick, Real World, I feel these are guidelines that are not only fair, but stolen from my "For Newbies" thread.

I mean...

Thanks to the both of you for the hard work! As Maidenfans moderator I'll do my best to enforce these noble ideals.

LC & Historians in '04!

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Oct 5 2004, 05:31 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Oct 5 2004, 05:31 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maverick, Real World, I feel these are guidelines that are not only fair, but stolen from my "For Newbies" thread. 
[snapback]88238[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] let it never be said that we dont listen to the voices of our members [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Not that I think you care about my opinion....... but this seems acceptable

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Oct 4 2004, 10:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Oct 4 2004, 10:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Here's a draft of what Real Wolrd and me think should be the forum rules.
[snapback]88219[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Who's Real Wolrd ? I love IRon Miaden !!!!!11

Ok, just kiddin'. I'm going back to serious mode.

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Oct 4 2004, 10:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Oct 4 2004, 10:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Trade Forum – The title says it all. If you want to trade something or are looking for a specific item, you’re likely to find someone you can strike a deal with in this forum. Advertisements for commercial sites or people selling items are not welcome. If you want to sell your signed copy of The Soundhouse Tapes, please go to E-Bay.
[/quote]

You should maybe add something about the illegality of trading MP3s of official releases. I've seen such trade proposed on some other forums.

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Oct 4 2004, 10:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Oct 4 2004, 10:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]There are, of course, other sub-forums whose names are clear enough and that do not need any further explanation. The International Forums are there for people who want to post in their native language; the Metal For Life Forums welcome discussion about other Metal bands; and the Commentary’s Forums are the place where you can post your comments and impressions about Iron Maiden songs.
[/quote]

What about the news forums ? [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] (am I overusing smileys ?)

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Oct 4 2004, 10:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Oct 4 2004, 10:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Swear words and foul language can be used like they are in real life, but should not be over-used either. We all swear from time to time, but it shouldn’t become a habit on this board. After all, we’re not Bruce ranting about Britney Spears during the Brave New World Tour!
[/quote]

I'd add something about the overuse of capital letters. People should talk and not SHOUT in here.

Other than that, I think the rules are simple and fair. Congratulations !

Cheers

Oh, I forgot to mention one rule: explain that a signature is great, but one that contains an wallpaper-sized jpeg is not welcomed.

Cheers

I second the Saint's recommendations. Other than that these rules rule. (I had too [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--])

The rules seem clear and fair. As in opposition to my posts [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The Saint+Oct 6 2004, 12:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Saint @ Oct 6 2004, 12:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Who's Real Wolrd ? I love IRon Miaden !!!!!11 

Ok, just kiddin'. I'm going back to serious mode.
You should maybe add something about the illegality of trading MP3s of official releases. I've seen such trade proposed on some other forums.
What about the news forums ? [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]   ... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]  (am I overusing smileys ?)
I'd add something about the overuse of capital letters. People should talk and not SHOUT in here.
Other than that, I think the rules are simple and fair. Congratulations !

Cheers
[snapback]88327[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yep all good to me [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Maverick spelling something wrong? He must have been REALLY tired! [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Everyone knows that Real Wolrd is in fact Daev! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Thanks all for the feedback anyway [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'd like to ammend all of the rules to include a clause allowing me to smack LooseCannon with a shovel whenever it pleases me.

Updated the rules above let me know if theyre still OK [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Those rules seem fair to me, though I'd say it's time for someone to make clear what the unapproved news forum is really about. I'm probably just lazy but I'm getting tired of moving all those nonsense topics from there.

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Oct 7 2004, 07:44 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Oct 7 2004, 07:44 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Those rules seem fair to me, though I'd say it's time for someone to make clear what the unapproved news forum is really about. I'm probably just lazy but I'm getting tired of moving all those nonsense topics from there.
[snapback]88491[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That would basically mean closing the unapproved news forum... Don't think it's a good idea. Don't worry, Shadow, I can do it, since I know you're active on your other duties ! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Cheers

I don't think I have any other duties than the news team, so I'll continue moving them! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Oct 8 2004, 10:59 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Oct 8 2004, 10:59 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't think I have any other duties than the news team, so I'll continue moving them!  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]88543[/snapback]​
[/quote]

When you told me you were getting tired of moving these, I thought that maybe your work on the Scandinavian forum was overwhelming ! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Cheers

There hasn't been done one single moderation in that forum for the last seven months! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well at the top of that forum theres a big box that says what the forum is for. If people don't read that then theyre not going to read the forum rules link [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back