flight of icarus miss pressed single info needed.

shogunn55

Prowler
hi all,sorting through my vinyl i came across this single flight of icarus emi 5378, trouble is the a side has another band on it, not even close to metal its more 80's pop with a track name of MAYBE or MAYDAY sounds more like the mayday, searched online for this with no success and whether or not its listed in record collector i am unsure of, so any help or info is gladly welcome.many thanks

Ireland release (EMI 5378) with misprinted B side, black/yellow writing/background colors, Green EMI logo, b-side Sun And Steel

UK release (12EMI 5378), One-sided testpressing with blank labels. No picture sleeve.

There are many release variants (though those are the only ones I found with somewhat similar mistakes), so pictures of the jacket and record would be helpful.

hi thanks for reply,sleeve is usual eddie flying towards with flamethrower,EMI5378 and has a black centre with red writing,b side is std i got the fire.
didn't know there were quite a few of these,wasn't sure what do do with it,found while searching for albums to clear out/sell
many thanks for info.

Hi!

This is a UK release misprint with John Watts Mayday oh Mayday song (emi5387) on A Side.
If you are selling, I would be interested :)

PM me!

sadly the that is very true, looking to sell soon i think and would send pics then to potential buyer but no point at present.
many thanks

Only 5-ish years late, better late than never I suppose, lol.......

I too have a copy of the 'Flight of Icarus' 7in mispressed with John Watts 'Mayday Mayday' on the b-side. I can tell you I rushed out and bought the single when it came out and stuck it straight on the death deck. Expecting thunderous Maiden, I was somewhat surprised to hear some insipid trash instead. BUT, I wasn't pissed off, being a collector, I was rather happy, followed quickly by "Damn it (or words to that effect), wished I'd have bought the other 10 or so copies in the shop. I also own a label pressing mistake on my 'Sanctuary' single, both labels show the a-side. Also, does anyone else have the 'Number of the Beast' 7in pressed on two different shades of red vinyl? One is clear red and the other is opaque.

Only 5-ish years late, better late than never I suppose, lol.......

I too have a copy of the 'Flight of Icarus' 7in mispressed with John Watts 'Mayday Mayday' on the b-side. I can tell you I rushed out and bought the single when it came out and stuck it straight on the death deck. Expecting thunderous Maiden, I was somewhat surprised to hear some insipid trash instead. BUT, I wasn't pissed off, being a collector, I was rather happy, followed quickly by "Damn it (or words to that effect), wished I'd have bought the other 10 or so copies in the shop. I also own a label pressing mistake on my 'Sanctuary' single, both labels show the a-side. Also, does anyone else have the 'Number of the Beast' 7in pressed on two different shades of red vinyl? One is clear red and the other is opaque.
Wow, those sound like quite the collector's pieces. Welcome to the forum!

Hi Dityn, thanks for the welcome. Luck is a great thing, lol. Be nice if they are worth anything. Have you any collectables yourself?

Of course I'm a music fan first and foremost, but I just can't help but love coloured and picture disc vinyl. It just grabs me, haven't been able to shake it off over the years...not that I want too, lol.

As for Maiden, my fave album is 'Killers'. Just love that album, will never tire of listening to it.

Reading this thread reminded me I have the fear of the dark picture disc vinyl single which has a mis print. Sleeve says side b should have hooks in you (live) but actually has tailgunner (live) lol.

Last edited:
Nice one Wayne. Although it's nice to get the correct music, it's nice too to get a little mistake or three now and again, we collectors like that sometimes :)

Back