Flight 666, A pleasant surprise

cornfedhick said:
EDIT:  Just compared Powerslave and Live After Death again, and I now believe they taped it in '84 too. 

Yes, it was a tape in '84, and in '99 for Ed Huntour. You can see clearly that it's a tape on the LAD DVD.

cornfedhick said:
Just got my copy of the DVD yesterday.  Forgive me if this is old news, but I noticed something on the disc that I hadn't noticed when I'd seen the shows:  The intro to Aces High is taped!  (I'm not referring to Churchill's speech -- obviously that's taped -- but rather the opening bars of the song, before the band runs out on stage.)  The guitar parts sound exactly like they do on the Powerslave studio version, yet afterward, the guitar sound is totally different.  Drums and bass sound different too, but not as obvious.  On the DVD, it shows the guys standing and waiting to run out on stage, and they aren't playing, which clued me in.  Then, when I listened to the audio only, I noticed the striking difference in the sound.   I suppose it makes sense, on some level, but I had always assumed they were playing it live backstage before running out.  I believe that's what they did during the '84 tour, so I found it odd that they'd do it differently on the last tour.  Not a complaint, just an observation. 

EDIT:  Just compared Powerslave and Live After Death again, and I now believe they taped it in '84 too. 

Yup, this recently made the Rock Band videogame forums explode with annoyed people. While we're on the subject, respect to Harmonix and/or Maiden themselves for making a point about not letting you play or sing the Churchill intro or the intro to Aces High in the game. It adds so much immersion.

Ardius said:
Yup, this recently made the Rock Band videogame forums explode with annoyed people. While we're on the subject, respect to Harmonix and/or Maiden themselves for making a point about not letting you play or sing the Churchill intro or the intro to Aces High in the game. It adds so much immersion.

I didn't understand you, Ardius, could you "simpleize" what you said?

I can hear all guitar parts quite well and am not experiencing the problems with Dave's guitar some of you are reporting.

Don't know, I just have the idea that some people cannot hear the differences in volume between the amigoes.

I seriously doubt that the DVD has different audio mixes.

Remember we're talking about 2 different things here (maybe). I said I had a problem with the BluRay version. (I did mention that before, didn't I?) The DVD version is an entirely different animal.
Forostar said:
I seriously doubt that the DVD has different audio mixes.

Assuming you mean "different mix from the BluRay", you're probably right, but this isn't a mixing issue. I'm not saying Dave's guitar is quiet - I'm saying it's not there at all. The only thing I can hear is very, very, very faint high notes during solos - which as I said before, are likely coming thru a drum mic.

So it's not the mix - it's either a serious manufacturing defect (missing the left stereo channel) or something wrong with my audio setup. I'll double-check it sometime today or tomorrow, but I'm sure my audio setup is correct.

Sorry, lately I am not reading well enough. I have the DVD, and didn't even think about the BluRay.  :blush:

SinisterMinisterX said:
However, Dave Murray's guitar is entirely missing from the (otherwise excellent) sound. It's really bizarre hearing those songs without Dave.

Haven't heard it yet, but this was the impression I got from IM's last tour generally

Quetzalcoatlus said:
Haven't heard it yet, but this was the impression I got from IM's last tour generally
No, the problem SMX describes is different.  It is definitely not present on my DVD (not Blu-Ray) copy, in either the stereo, DTS or Dolby Digital mixes.  Yes, Janick's guitar seems to be mixed a bit louder than Dave's, but not to the point where you can barely hear Dave's solos, as SMX describes.   
SinisterMinisterX said:
(I'm watching it on a brand new HDTV and BluRay player).

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious -- just trying to help -- but could it be your receiver?   Since you indicated that you have a new Blu-Ray player and HDTV, I wonder whether you have a receiver that can process the TrueHD audio or whatever it's called -- if not, that could very well explain the problem.  It sounds like the Blu-Ray player may be outputting lossless (uncompressed) audio, but your receiver is unable to decode it, either because it can't, or because of a faulty/subpar HDMI cable.  I'm no home audio expert, but I got an audio system a year ago, and the one thing I learned is that, if you want the full lossless audio that BluRay discs can deliver, you need a good, lossless-certified HDMI cable and a compatible receiver.  Just a thought. 

Just bumping this up since I just saw the rockumentary. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Are there much better videos/films of the band out there?

That Colombian show seemed really intense, especially up to the point where they focused on the kids crying after the show.

Now I'm really bummed that they've never played in The Philippines and seems like they never will... :(

Oh, and Nicko really loves his pizza eh? :lol:

For docs There is "behind the iron curtain" which is kind of like parts of F666. If you like the docs in DVDs, Early Days, Live After Death(with behind the iron curtain), and Death on the Road aremusthaves. F666 is thier only movie.

valacirca said:
So it's: F666, Death on the Road, Live After Death /w Behind the Iron Curtain :ok: Thanks!

Live After Death has a documentary of the World Slavery tour on the DVD Live After Death.  And don't miss the Early Days DVD. 

If you liked Flight 666, then I suggest you try two general documentaries on metal by the makers of Flight 666: Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, and Global Metal.  Global Metal at least was on Youtube at one point, try searching for it. 

Yeah I've seen Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and it was pretty good. As far as metal documentaries go though, the Anvil! one was pretty great.

I'll see where I can find Global Metal.

I watched Flight 666 on the single day when it came to theaters in Berlin. Seriously, I have never seen such an unbelievably sharp picture in a cinema, and so big too! It's "only" 1080i, but man did it look great. This is what HD was actually made for I guess.

Funny, I just edited some footage from the concert (not the film itself) in Premiere and I noticed that some audio parts are *not* from the accompanying video. You can see Nicko playing snare beats that can't be heard in Powerslave, for example. I find it pretty silly that they would not even use the original audio from the best of the numerous performances, instead swapping parts of the audio out with other performances, which clearly results in spottable errors (synching wrong audio with the picture is especially tedious and I can see shots where they didn't manage that).

Other than that, the HD release is a very fine example of what a live release should look like. And thank you God for the better direction this time; the "cut-cut-cut" every two seconds was driving me crazy with the previous DVDs.

I think you have it wrong - they probably took the audio from a single show and used video footage from a few shows, in order to get the best visual stuff.

It would be very difficult to mix together the same song from different shows, there's pretty much no chance that the song will be played at the exact same BPMs.

Back