Finland ? Metal heaven !!

Quick translation of the clip Onhell posted:
The first judge (the woman) says that he's taking the easy way and isn't displaying his diversity, despite having a good chance with two songs.  To this, Ari replies that the songs are very different from two different decades, and that he's a metal singer.
The second judge says that he's too arrogant on stage, and that he didn't fillthe minute-or-so of instrumental in the LZ song with proper stage presence.  He also criticised the "jumping".
I suppose the third you understand...

The one who just dropped was also quite a "rockish" guy, he was pretty good too.  The other two remaining are stereotypic idols singers...  Need I say more?

I personally still think that his Perfect Strangers was best.

Heresy!  Betrayal!  Blasphemy! Ari sung a SLOW song!  A typical idols song!!

Now, I can't remember what he sung, as a matter of fact I didn't even bother to check it out.  I walked away from the tv after the first minute...  It was a typical idols song, and the judges of course thought very highly of it.  Horrible, horrible...  It's not really what he sung, since my expectations for Idols are very low anyway.  It's more that he "went commercial".  He changed his style because last time, the judges didn't like rock.  Now, they all liked it.  I just feel sort of... betrayed.  I suppose it's up to each artist what he/she sings, but I just admired his uncompromising attitude that he had before.

You guys will have to wait, though, for it to appear on youtube.  Not that it's worth seeing anyway.

Okay, looking back on that after writing, I don't really feel *that* strongly about it.  But it was a disappointment, to say the least.

Invader said:
Heresy!  Betrayal!  Blasphemy! Ari sung a SLOW song!  A typical idols song!!

Now, I can't remember what he sung, as a matter of fact I didn't even bother to check it out.  I walked away from the tv after the first minute...  It was a typical idols song, and the judges of course thought very highly of it.  Horrible, horrible...  It's not really what he sung, since my expectations for Idols are very low anyway.  It's more that he "went commercial".  He changed his style because last time, the judges didn't like rock.  Now, they all liked it.  I just feel sort of... betrayed.  I suppose it's up to each artist what he/she sings, but I just admired his uncompromising attitude that he had before.

You guys will have to wait, though, for it to appear on youtube.  Not that it's worth seeing anyway.

Okay, looking back on that after writing, I don't really feel *that* strongly about it.  But it was a disappointment, to say the least.

If he 'goes his own way' on a reality TV show, he's never going to win.  The whole point of shows like Idols, X Factor etc. are to mould these kids into factory-pressed commercial pop singers; that's what the public want to hear, and that's what the judges are being paid to produce.  Pure and simple.  Getting as far as he has by doing rock and metal songs shows he has more than just a bit of talent...I believe he's had serious words with those close to him, and if he really wants to win the show, he's going to have to play to the audience and the judges.  Then he can sing all the speed/power/heavy metal he likes...but I still don't think he's compromised...he's just playing to win.  And if that means he has to change his stance a little, so be it.

Oh, and what that American judge said about not talking to the band is bullshit.  These fucking producers want the audience to focus on a singer who has not written the music being played and is doing nothing but singing (and apart from Ari, these are pathetic one-line melodies, usually), and to ignore the real musicians behind the singer.  That's commercial pop for you; God forbid that the singers should write any music themselves, or even play it.  At least the kid has respect for his backing musicians, and that will take him further in any musical career than a bloody reality TV show.

Wise words, Raven, wise words.  I saw the end of his second song, that was a metal song fortunately, though I didn't recognise it or the original artist (at least, it was from a Finnish band, because they were restricted to Finnish bands only this round).

I was waiting for the vomit to come out of his mouth and it didn't. :(

An Irish metal band went on one of those shows to audition for the Eurovision song contest a few years back, before Lordi probably even conceived the idea. Despite doing a good job, they weren't taken seriously and made sing Dancing Queen by Abba, to prove that they can do more than just play metal. They are a cracking live band, and are no doubt one of Ireland's finest celtic/folk-ish metal bands, only topped by Primordial, in my opinion.

Part one of Mael Mordha's audition, and part two.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... emID=70609

STRATOVARIUS, LORDI, NIGHTWISH Members To Write Songs For Finnish 'Idols' Winner - Apr. 16, 2007 

According to the Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat, Timo Tolkki (STRATOVARIUS), Tomi Putaansuu (a.k.a. Mr. Lordi; LORDI), Marco Hietala (NIGHTWISH, TAROT), Janne Joutsenniemi (SUBURBAN TRIBE), Tony Kakko (SONATA ARCTICA) and Jarkko Ahola (TERÄSBETONI) are among the metal musicians who will contribute material to the upcoming debut album from the winner of the Finnish national TV talent competition "Idols", 22-year-old heavy metal singer Ari Koivunen. The CD will be produced by Nino Laurenne (THUNDERSTONE) and Pasi Heikkilä (45 DEGREE WOMAN) and is tentatively scheduled for release in Finland on June 6.

Kimmo Valtanen of SonyBMG told Helsingin Sanomat that the label recognized Ari's potential early on in the competition and that the company would have made an album with Ari even if he hadn't won the contest.

Ari is from Lahti, the Finnish town that has given birth to such metal acts as PROFANE OMEN, BEFORE THE DAWN and ENTWINE. One of his hobbies is "Hevikaraoke" (Finnish "heavy metal" karaoke); in 2005 he won the Finnish karaoke championships. Among his favorite bands are IRON MAIDEN, RAINBOW, DEEP PURPLE, DIO, PROFANE OMEN and HELLOWEEN.

Watch Ari Koivunen's "Idols" performances:

* IRON MAIDEN - "The Evil That Men Do": Video
* DEEP PURPLE - "Perfect Strangers": Video
* WHITESNAKE - "Here I Go Again": Video
* STRATOVARIUS - "Hunting High And Low": Video
* LED ZEPPELIN - "Rock and Roll": Video
* SCORPIONS – "Still Loving You": Video
* SOUNDGARDEN - "Black Hole Sun": Video
* SONATA ARCTICA - "Full Moon": Video

(Thanks: www.metalfromfinland.com

Back