Finally ... (we Norwegians are quite slow, aren't we?)

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
I checked the article on the current tour on Wikipedia, it contains a list of ticket sales for each concert of the tour. Finally it seems the two shows in Norway (Trondheim and Oslo) are sold out. I can't believe it took so long, considering that Ullevi in Göteborg, Sweden sold out the first day and that Ullevi is not much smaller than Lerkendal and Valle Hovin added together. (60 000 compared to 24 000 + 40 000). But now it seems Maiden will get what they deserve in Norway too; full-packed stadiums  :D

I thought the Oslo show sold out as fast as Gothenburg, Stockholm and Helsinki?  Was it the Trondheim show that took so long or both?  It took pretty long for all the Finland tickets to sell out; Helsinki sold out in two hours, but Tampere (which was announced 4 days later) took many months. 

No, Oslo did sell out quite recently. Or - I'm actually not sure the numbers on the Wiki page are correct because on the ticket website it says that tickets are still available. Maybe the Wiki page uses rounded numbers and there are a few tickets left.

For some reason, the only band selling out really fast in Norway is Metallica. They sold out Valle Hovin in two hours last year. But many tickets were probably bought by black market brokers who thought they could get some easy money, many tickets were on sale below the printed value on the day of the gig. U2 and Bruce Springsteen have also sold out concerts within days.

I am a bit disappointed in my fellow Norwegians for being so slow to get tickets for Maiden - especially in Trondheim where they have never played before. But it should be mentioned that the entire region of Middle Norway has a smaller population than Oslo, so a capacity of 24.000 for a concert is very big here. Trondheim itself has only 160.000 inhabitants. However, that Oslo needed so much time is unbelievable. More than half of the Norwegian population lives within 3 hours from Oslo by car or train. And since Maiden have never played any venue taking more than 15.000 in Norway before, there should be sufficient hunger for seeing them now.

But perhaps it's just down to what I wrote in my heading. Norwegians are slow :) (That includes myself, but I was quite quick getting tickets for this one)

Slow? Hmm...show here seems slower.

Stadium that can hold up ~ 40.000 (around 30% of seating capacity is "offline" due to stage postitioning and such) in agreed show configuration, in a city of ~ 400.000 people in it's zone. Whole of ex-Yugoslav fans are coming here, because the nearest show for them is in Hungary. Being a tourism-oriented region, in the apex of the season...you know what i mean.

Tickets went to sale in middle December 2007. Show is tenth of August. That's roughly eight months. Eight months to fill 40.000 people gravitating from a region of 20 million. The current status is 97% sold out. It will be sold out before the show, and 40.000 people will make one hell of a show, but we all thought it was going to sell out faster.

It's going to be my first Maiden concert. Yep first. Had opportunity four times. 1999, Ed Hunter Tour, in Milano. Couple of friends went there. I couldn't, due to some personal/family issues. 2001, BNW Tour, Izola, Slovenia. If i went there, i'd fail a complete year in highschool. 2003, GMETID tour, Zagreb. Now if i went there, i'd fail a year in college, crucial exam on that date, in late afternoon! 2006, AMOLAD tour, Belgrade. Now, now, if i went there, i'd skip my only remaining college exam, that i've been delaying for months!

Tough luck, and after that show in Belgrade, i thought i'd never see them. When they're playing near, something really important always comes up. But, then the word came out about this mega-tour covering golden years material. Then the word came out they're coming to Croatia again. Then the word came out they're gonna come to my city, and play on a stadium that's right across the street!

So it's my first show, and probably the biggest show that Maiden will ever make in this region. They played nine times in this region, six dates in Yugoslavia, and three in ex-Yugoslav countries after the dissolution. Never to a crowd more than 15.000. When the news was confirmed, we thought that we're looking at 60.000 people capacity minimum, but then the plan for the show came out and stage is covering one of the two bigger sides of the stadium. Shit. 60.000 people, your first Maiden gig, tour like this, and you are living couple of hundred of meters away from the venue! It was thrilling. But 40.000 should still do nice  :D

Sorry for thread-hijack, but i have a question. What's the largest Maiden audience, not counting festivals, and not counting nights-in-a row for the same venue?

Well, I got tickets a day or so after it was on sale. There are roughly two types of ticket byers:

1) The hardcore fans who get the tickets right away
2) The general rock fans who get them when they see it on sale

Half of the tickets WERE sold pretty fast, but the rest when nice and slow^^ It's (atleast almost) sold out now, so Iron Maiden won't be disappointed

Perhaps on the Fear Of The Dark or Brave New World Tours. Don't ask me why, but I've got a gut feeling.

These were the biggest venues I could find from those tours.  They only say "capacity", so concert sizes would be harder to find.
Estadio Jalisco in Mexico: 72,600
Estadio Nacional de Chile in, surprise surprise, Chile: 67,000
Estadio José Amalfitani in Argentina: 49,540

In contrast
Twickenham: 82,000
Ullevi: 43,000

I think with the really big stadiums, the seating size shrinks at concerts, because of the amount of seats lost (because of the stage) is greater than the amount of people you can put on the field.  At small stadiums, the amount is smaller, so there is a net increase in size.  For example, the Helsinki Olympic Stadium grew by only 5,000 (from 40,000 to 45,000) but the Tampere Ratina Stadium grew by 17,000 (from 13,000 to 30,000).  And it also depends on the event organiser how many seats they cut.  Since Twickenham shrunk and Ullevi grew, I think it's fair to say the North/South American ones shrunk.  Probably they'd be smaller in concerts too.  However, you can't say with any certainty about these; there might have been more or there might have been less. 

Good gut feeling, though, Perun. ;)

Perun, I'm with you.  I have a feeling that it's the Brave New World tour, actually.

Strange...

Invader said:
I think with the really big stadiums, the seating size shrinks at concerts, because of the amount of seats lost (because of the stage) is greater than the amount of people you can put on the field.

I wouldn't think so. Before being refit for the World Cup, Berlin's Olympic Stadium had a capacity of 70,000 (now it's around 50,000 I think), seats only. But when Michael Jackson played there ten years ago or so, I remember a radio host mentioning that so far, 77,000 tickets have been sold and it wasn't sold out.

Invader said:
I think with the really big stadiums, the seating size shrinks at concerts, because of the amount of seats lost (because of the stage) is greater than the amount of people you can put on the field.  At small stadiums, the amount is smaller, so there is a net increase in size.  For example, the Helsinki Olympic Stadium grew by only 5,000 (from 40,000 to 45,000) but the Tampere Ratina Stadium grew by 17,000 (from 13,000 to 30,000).  And it also depends on the event organiser how many seats they cut.  Since Twickenham shrunk and Ullevi grew, I think it's fair to say the North/South American ones shrunk.

The seated area behind the stage in Ullevi is very small, thats why it grew in the capacity. While twickenham is huge behind the stage. That's why it shrunk. :)

Back