Fear is the Key

How good is Fear is the Key on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Fear Is The Key' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'fear Is The Key'

I like the songs main riff but the rest is....spoils the song for me. Especially the middle part where Bruce would scream like a chicken

'fear Is The Key'

One of my favourites on the album. Good solid rocker apart from the when it goes all quiet. Has my favourite maiden lines in it, "the kids have lost their freedom and nobody cares till somebody famous dies"
Brilliant

'fear Is The Key'

Well, the lyrics could be much better. They're quite explicit, which is ok, but something a bit more thought-provoking could make the song better. I wonder whether they thought of Freddie Mercury from Queen when writing the lyrics, since he had died in November 1991.

'fear Is The Key'

I've always wondered if I like this song or not... Now I decided, I think it's a ggod song. It's not a typical Maiden song, it's kinda "slow, heavy and ugly" (© Hetfield [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) song, except the fast middle section, which I think is the best feature of the song, with awsome instrumentation (acoustic guitars + the chuggy electric parts... hmmm....) and huge Bruce screams! The lyrics are also fine. I give it a 4.

'fear Is The Key'

This is my least favorite Iron Maiden song. It just drags on and on and it is different than other songs. I like parts of the song, but it is poor in my opinion.

'fear Is The Key'

I think this is one of the song which saves the album. A lot of ideas and a great use of acoustic guitar. Great Janick's solo, in a Blackmore style : Janick wasn't the Gillan's guitarist for nothing.

My vote : 3,5 stars

[!--QuoteBegin-evil that the prohecy do+Aug 29 2004, 04:07 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(evil that the prohecy do @ Aug 29 2004, 04:07 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]i think its the weakest on the album and one of the worst maiden songs

my vote:3 stars
[snapback]84904[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think we haven't the same way of ranking ! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Uwe+Aug 23 2004, 09:31 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Uwe @ Aug 23 2004, 09:31 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I wonder whether they thought of Freddie Mercury from Queen when writing the lyrics, since he had died in November 1991.
[snapback]84231[/snapback]​
[/quote]
It's evident... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'fear Is The Key'

[!--QuoteBegin-Uwe+Aug 23 2004, 11:31 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Uwe @ Aug 23 2004, 11:31 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I wonder whether they thought of Freddie Mercury from Queen when writing the lyrics, since he had died in November 1991.
[snapback]84231[/snapback]​
[/quote]
They did. Bruce said so in an interview.

'fear Is The Key'

1.5 stars frome me. Personally I find it one of the more uninspired songs on the album,; I particularly dislike the 'lies and lies and lies' bit. Childhood's End+The Fugitive are better, IMO, which is why I skip this frequently when listening to the album.

Re: 'Fear Is The Key'

Most of the song is pretty solid. If it hadn't been for the part where Bruce goes ''Lies, and lies, and lies.....'' I would have loved it. He just screams and laughs like it's funny. That's my main problem with NPFTD and FOTD: They often sound happy when it's a pretty serious subject. Maybe it's supposed to be ironic, I don't know.

Reumeren said:
Most of the song is pretty solid. If it hadn't been for the part where Bruce goes ''Lies, and lies, and lies.....'' I would have loved it. He just screams and laughs like it's funny. That's my main problem with NPFTD and FOTD: They often sound happy when it's a pretty serious subject. Maybe it's supposed to be ironic, I don't know.

Well, Tailgunner was ironic, Holy smoke too, BQOBD too... I think those two albums were mostly ironic.

I like this song because of main riff, which is really catchy and I like that "Lies and lies and lies..."
IMHO it's good song - not hit - but good mid-album song.

Re: 'fear Is The Key'

4.5 stars for me, is one of my fav. tracks of 90s -and I particulary like the part "lies and lies and lies..."
the only thing that slightly bothers me is that this number is a direct refference to Zep's Kashmir

Re: 'fear Is The Key'

____no5 said:
the only thing that slightly bothers me is that this number is a direct refference to Zep's Kashmir

Where, when, how and why?

:blink:  I tought it was obvious!! 

... the general feeling firstly, with this oriental harmony that brings to mind the central harmony of Kashmir
after, when the galloping starts it reminds me the first 3 minutes of Kashmir with a similar rythm and feeling

the part "lies and lies and lies" again it is like a huge reference to Led Zep for me, not to mention the 4:27 when the central harmony re-enters

it's the first time that I'm trying to explain this, because as I mentioned it was more than obvious between me and my friends

Okay, the opening riff does kind of evoke a memory if you're looking for it, I'll give you that. Other than that- I can't see anything of what you're talking about.

opening riff + galloping mid tempo body
it's the structure of two songs that is similar hence the evoke of memory

Nope, still don't see anything other than the opening riff.

____no5 said:
the part "lies and lies and lies" again it is like a huge reference to Led Zep for me,

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Is it the lyrics that refer to Zeppelin (in their own lyrics or otherwise), or again musical similarities, or what?

national acrobat said:
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Is it the lyrics that refer to Zeppelin (in their own lyrics or otherwise), or again musical similarities, or what?

ah non the lyrics, I mean musically -again is a general feeling and I can't find which song of Zep makes me think

Daily Song: Fear is the Key

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Fear is the Key

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Blech. This is one of the songs I consider to be bad by even Maiden standards. I honestly cannot stand this song. It gets an okay groove, but Bruce sounds like crap on it. It's simple tripe that I wish was cut from the album, along with Chains of Misery, From Here to Eternity, and The Apparition. 2.

Back