Favourite Production

Which studio album has your favourite production?

• Iron Maiden (Will Malone)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Killers (Martin "Head Master" Birch)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • The Number Of The Beast (Martin "Farmer" Birch)

• Piece Of Mind (Martin "Marvin" Birch)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerslave (Martin "Pool Bully" Birch)

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Somewhere In Time (Martin "Masa" Birch)

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (Martin "Disappearing Armchair" Birch)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No Prayer For The Dying (Martin "The Bishop" Birch)

• Fear Of The Dark (Martin "The Juggler" Birch and Steve Harris)

• The X Factor (Steve Harris and Nigel Green)

• Virtual XI (Steve Harris and Nigel Green)

• Brave New World (Kevin Shirley and Steve Harris)

• Dance Of Death (Kevin Shirley and Steve Harris)

• A Matter Of Life And Death (Kevin Shirley and Steve Harris)

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Killers, for me. The guitar sound changes from having a nice contrast at times (H's raw dirty sound against Dave's clean and pure sound when soloing on songs like Wrathchild, for example) but having them flow one into the other (Prodigal Son did it before and better than Powerslave, IMO) in other cases. Yet despite the differences at times, it never felt like two different albums at times. Then there's the clear bass and drumming as people have mentioned, and Paul's shrieks and screams pop in at just the right volume. The only real problem is that at times Paul is a bit too clear... for example, having to hear him gasping for breath at the end of Drifter.

To me, I vote A Matter Of Life And Death as my favourite production. I like listening to the guitar riffs of Breeg, Different, God, Shadows and Light. Those were, you know, not bad according to my opinion.

I can't vote in this poll.  For me, production doesn't seem to mean much to me.  It's only when it's extremely bad (IE: Iron Maiden) that I notice.  You can talk about crisp guitars and less crisp guitars and more drums and less drums and I really don't notice.  For me, I only notice the song and the way it goes, with production as part of the sum of the whole.  If the album is bad, IMO, I'll probably think the production is bad.  If the album is good, I won't notice the production being bad or good.  It's a simple matter of taking things as a whole for me.

And that's just Prime.

Very hard choice but i went for Somewhere In Time. Especially when listened to through headphones. The seperation between the guitarists into left and right channels is very clear and with the band introducing synths onto the album as well, the overall sound of the album is very etheral and futuristic.

Somewhere In Time definitely jumps out as having the most lush sound of the bunch.  However, I like the albums that more closely approximate the group's live sound.  Powerslave does that, and to a lesser extent, so does A Matter of Life and Death (though the albums do sound very different production-wise).  I'll cast my vote for the former, simply because AMOLAD has a bit more of a "muddy" sound to it, less crisp. 

Back