Favourite Metal sub-genre

Kynisk Sokol

Ancient Mariner
Just thought I'd wonder what opinions are and also if this has been done before. Whether it's Death, Power, Doom or good old Traditional Metal, I'd like to hear some opinions. As for myself, I'd would probably choose Traditonal for now...

Well, define "traditional". To me, traditional means iron Maiden, Queensrych, Early Heloween, etc. Most of these bands are power/speed metal... soooo... at least say "why" you chose it.

For me it is Power Metal hands down. I like all other sub-genres (Symphonic/epic is a VERY close second). It is my favorite because of the usually longer songs, great long solo's, of course the melodies and the clear vocal singing.

Goth Metal i suppose but im so diverse its unbelievable. Cos I like stuff like Bullet For My Valentine and System Of A Down.

Reason: Because im a goth. And its as simple as that. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Aug 14 2005, 08:59 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Aug 14 2005, 08:59 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]For me it is Power Metal hands down. I like all other sub-genres (Symphonic/epic is a VERY close second)
[snapback]115354[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Exactly the same as you there Onhell. Power metal is just an orgy of talent.
I wont comment on the pineapple [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Aug 14 2005, 07:59 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Aug 14 2005, 07:59 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Well, define "traditional". To me, traditional means iron Maiden, Queensrych, Early Heloween, etc. Most of these bands are power/speed metal... soooo... at least say "why" you chose it.

For me it is Power Metal hands down. I like all other sub-genres (Symphonic/epic is a VERY close second). It is my favorite because of the usually longer songs, great long solo's, of course the melodies and the clear vocal singing.
[snapback]115354[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Yeah, sorry about that. I mostly choose Traditional because the other sub-genres wouldn't be there without it and also because I'm wouldn't consider myself to be as well versed in the other genres. Traditional metal to me would be Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Motorhead etc. Runners up would be Power and Black Metal.
Favourite Power Metal Album: Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
Favourite Black Metal Album: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse

While I frown at the subdivision of genres, I can only say, as I stated in another thread, that I detest Black and Death Metal. I suppose the music I enjoy most is simply Heavy Metal.

I still can't understand why you detest them so much as Germany is one of the largest producers of both [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--].

p.s I'm with you about the tediousness of subgenres, but most people love specifics.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Aug 15 2005, 04:51 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Aug 15 2005, 04:51 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I still can't understand why you detest them so much as Germany is one of the largest producers of both [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--].
[snapback]115466[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Maybe that's the reason- I get tortured with it from all sides [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

black
punk
oi
techno metal
stoner rock
alternative metal?

so many words for so called "good music"...

Power metal, heavy metal of course, progressive metal/rock, space metal, psychedelic metal and that's about it.

[!--QuoteBegin-metalboyken+Aug 17 2005, 11:00 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(metalboyken @ Aug 17 2005, 11:00 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]mine is trash! it's so good when your angry!
[snapback]115656[/snapback]​
[/quote]

It's tHrash, not trash, though old folk like to think of Metal as trash. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Aug 18 2005, 07:18 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Aug 18 2005, 07:18 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's tHrash, not trash, though old folk like to think of Metal as trash. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]115771[/snapback]​
[/quote]
beat me to it Onhell [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, I can't really point out a favourite genre, simply because there's no genre I love, but bands.

If you take Rage for example, they're a good quality Power Metal band, that doesn't make *enter name of bad Helloween copycat band here* any better.
Iron Maiden is great, still I couldn't care less for Judas Priest...

I guess you got the point by now [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

However, most of the bands I listen to can be found in the genres Hard Rock, Traditional Metal, Prog Metal and Power Metal I guess

Well, I like only Maiden and Bruce of the Heavy Metal scene, I would have to say I'm with symph metal (therion especially) gothic metal (the 69 eyes, type o negative), i also adore romanian ethno-metal (phoenix, the band i've talking about are the leaders). I don't have a specific favourite. Progresive is good to (Porcupine tree, dream theater)

Hmm... Grindcore doesn't seem to be popular around these parts...

Maybe I should give a little opinion on each sub-genre.

Black Metal: I like both the Old-School Immortal style and the more cerebral symphonic style of Emperor and Cradle Of Filth. I love the cold, raw and ugly atmosphere it gives off when it's done right but the amount of copy cat bands really saturate the scene.

Death Metal: Like Black Metal, the amount of copy cat bands makes this genre less interesting, and it can be quite repetitive. That said, there are still plenty of bands that I really like such as Opeth and Morbid Angel. The sub-genres all have something good to offer you whether it's Brutal, Progressive, Melodic or Old School.

Thrash Metal: This isn't a genre I'm into much as I find it fairly limiting but it's good fun for a while. Metallica are probably the best but we all know what happened during the years...

Power Metal: This is one I've taken a particular interest in these days. The harmonies, emotion and general feel of it really have it going for me. Granted, it can be a bit cheesy but none of these genres are perfect. Tad Morose and Blind Guardian seem to be my favourites.

Progressive Metal: Sure, it's great to get technical every now and then and add something new to the world of metal but if you mean a Dream Theater clone, then I'll pass

Doom Metal: Well Sabbath, Saint Vitus and Cathedral are probably the best examples and they have a real hypnotic feel and of course My Dying Bride know how to conjure up a suffocating atmosphere to beat any amount of happiness out of the listener. Another genre I'm taking a real liking to these days. Also called "Neagtive Metal".

Gothic Metal: Never tried to get into it, if anybody could give me some suggestions I'd like that.

Traditional Metal: Well, of course I'd put this in. It has all the ingredients and probably the gateway for most people to get into and explore its many sub-genres.

Nu Metal: Well, I won't dignify this genre with a response...

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Aug 15 2005, 05:30 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Aug 15 2005, 05:30 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maybe that's the reason- I get tortured with it from all sides [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]115467[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That makes perfect sense now. I don't "hate" mariachi music but I could careless about it, I do HATE, with a passion "Norteño" music and you Germans are to blame for it! It finds its beginings in the Polka [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The genre that includes Killers, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, and Holy Diver gets my vote. Traditional metal?

I haven't seen this topic before, that's a bit strange [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Anyway, my favourite genre would probably be traditional but I also like thrash and power a lot. Basically anything that will get your headbanging and your foot tapping. Progressive isn't bad aswell but sometimes it can be boring if you aren't paying attention to the music.

I see that a necromancer has done their work to exhume this thread of mine from the eternal grave of night. As I wrote my opinions on each of the genre a while back, I have somewhat matured my views. I'm really into Doom Metal now these days, I wasn't very familiar with it when I started this thread but now I can't get enough of it. [a href=\'http://www.doom-metal.com/\' target=\'_blank\']Check this site and find out for yourself.[/a] [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back