Fastest Maiden song ever!?

Gk1

Here I sit in a serenade of glory!
I think it is too good of a discussion and needs a seperate thread.

Gangland maybe?!To be honest with you I do not even know how the bits per minute are counted.Is it the ride cymbal?

So far it seems that the crown goes to Purgatory?! But what about Loneliness?!

Prowler, Another Life and Brighter than a Thousand Suns have very fast parts, but as a whole song, I suspect Purgatory is the fastest. Never measured it, though.

I've done some tap tempo on metronome. Turns out that purgatory is the fastest at 146. That short part on another life is also around that. Aces, be quick, man on the edge, prowler, brighter are between 125-133. Of course, double times of loneliness and deja vu are around 180 and iron maiden would be 200

Travis your links confuse me even more!:D

frus what do you mean about double times?!

I've done some tap tempo on metronome. Turns out that purgatory is the fastest at 146. That short part on another life is also around that. Aces, be quick, man on the edge, prowler, brighter are between 125-133. Of course, double times of loneliness and deja vu are around 180 and iron maiden would be 200

It makes more sense to count tunes like Purgatory, Aces, Man on the Edge and Thousand Suns in double time. Every snare hit is on 2 or 4. Doesnt make sense to count the snare as being on the &'s (upbeats).

So Purgatory is actually closer to 280-290 bpm.

Wicker man is obviously not in 400 bpm...

They're counting half-beats for some reason I think. I've checked the bpm on Wicker Man myself before and it's close to 200 IIRC.

BPM is only a "standard" if everyone agrees where the beat is. For instance, some people say that the drummer hits the snare on beats 2 and 4 all the time. You define bpm from the drum part. But, for very fast songs like Aces High or Be Quick, this pushes the tempo so fast that it's hard to count. On songs that fast, I feel the beat slower, and consider the drummer to be playing in double-time (snare is on every upbeat, not every other downbeat).

In my experience, 200 bpm is about the fastest a musician can reasonably feel a beat. Anything faster tends to be felt in "slower" units, more like a 2/2 (cut time) signature.

Back