Fans Start Petition To Bring Back Derek Riggs

I agree that there hasn't been a really really GREAT album cover since Riggs left but people apparently don't understand that Riggs HAS done work for Maiden since then (Flight 666 Eddie) + various stuff AND that Riggs stopped drawing and went over to computer - So even if Riggs did get back, people are gonne be disappointed when they find out he isn't doing stuff like he did in the 80s anymore.

Wow, my post came out as far too passionate. My point is, Eddie sells. That being said, petitions do so little to change mindsets it's actually cute.

Riggs was also in for the bidding for the Wicker Man single, basically yes, petitions do nothing, Maiden can be sending out ideas to 20 artists including Riggs, but if they like someone elses idea better, that's who they're gonna pick :D

1. Riggs hates Maiden. Even if they do hire him, it's gonna suck, because he's gonna phone it in.
2. I thought some of the album covers since have been great. AMOLAD and TFF are really colourful and awesome, even if different. I still use the AMOLAD Eddie w/crossed guns on messengers and stuff.
3. This is only a shade more likely to succeed than a petition to get the band to play Alexander the Great.

Still don't know what to feel about the TFF Eddie..I think I liked him more when he was done in that cartoon style as on the Final Frontier artwork and El Dorado. On the original album he was neither cool nor menacing, but kudos to Grant for trying to re-imagine Eddie again (best Eddie that Melvyn has done is Fear of The Dark IMO)

Did you guys see The Final Frontier drawings that Riggs did? They're on his website somewhere and they suck. I'm glad Maiden used Grant's(?) artwork. The last two album covers have been awesome.

Plus it makes sense that they don't use 80's styled artwork since their music doesn't sound like that anymore.

Never go back.*

I agree that the AMOLD and TFF covers have been great, and that it's what's inside the covers that really counts.

(*Except when it comes to singers and guitarists of course).

I don't really care about the album sleeves anymore, and the last one I really liked was Brave New World. But I really loved the idea of Eddie being turned into plastic art with the X Factor, and I don't understand why they never tried it again : it was really impressive, and I'm sure some artists would do a great job.

I don't really care about the album sleeves anymore, and the last one I really liked was Brave New World. But I really loved the idea of Eddie being turned into plastic art with the X Factor, and I don't understand why they never tried it again : it was really impressive, and I'm sure some artists would do a great job.

Maybe the generally negative response to The X Factor and Virtual XI led them to not want to revisit any ideas that were tossed around at that time.

Yea I like the cover. The CGI stuff inside the album was very bad though.

Maybe the generally negative response to The X Factor and Virtual XI led them to not want to revisit any ideas that were tossed around at that time.
Not sure about that, a good chunk of BNW was leftover from Virtual XI.

I think the real life Edie on TXF cover was not only an awful idea, but poorly executed too. Somehow, though, it works for that album. But I hope they never do it again.

Yea. The Nomad, Dream Of Mirrors, Blood Brothers and The Mercenary were from the VXI sessions according to H. Apparently DoM even had lyrics from Blaze.

That album is very much a stylistic continuation of Virtual anyway IMO.

Back