False Associations

Shmoolikipod

Stranger to the Light
You guys know how part from a song will play in your head, and you can't help but hear a part of a completely different song following it? Or you'll hear a song after a long time, and realize that one line isn't even similar to how you remembered it.

Here's the one that prompted me to post this thread: The lyric "To preach the new religion - the philosophy of hate" was stuck in my mind for months, followed, of course, by Matt Barlow's chilling scream from Damien!

Well, a week ago I was listening to History of a Time to Come by Sabbat, and was surprised to hear the line in Behind the Crooked Cross. I checked Damien again, and apparently the actual line is "I'll show them what hell truly is - the monotony of their lives". Come on, tell me the Sabbat line doesn't work there...

I also always hear the chorus of Coming Home whenever I think about Chemical Wedding. "And all the lighthouses... Their beams converge to guide me home! Coming home, far away..."

I experienced the same when hearing Imperium of the Ghost album Impera. It reminded me of something...the intro to Metallica´s Battery! But when listening to that it wasn´t exactly the same. Apparently it was Metallica after all but the acoustic part in To Live Is To Die. There´s also a vocal line in Prince´s International Lover where I hear Mike Patton but offcourse that´s impossible. Until I found out I always thought Your Love by The Outfield was a Police song and Alive And Kicking from U2 instead of Simple Minds.

Back