Fair trade

The problem I have with fair trade is how everyone is talking about it/buying it because of 'the image'. Much like everyone is talking about global warming and 'trying' to prevent it by being 'environment friendly'. Of course, thats just hypocritical, even statistics show that its all talk and no do. Although, I guess its better if its done for the image than if its not done at all. *sighs*

Natalie said:
The problem I have with fair trade is how everyone is talking about it/buying it because of 'the image'. Much like everyone is talking about global warming and 'trying' to prevent it by being 'environment friendly'. Of course, thats just hypocritical, even statistics show that its all talk and no do. Although, I guess its better if its done for the image than if its not done at all. *sighs*
Hum, you mean it's some sort of fashion don't you? I do agree with you. It reminds me the "ozone friendly attitude" that developped back in the early 90s.
Although ozone problems are serious I was annoyed by this "fashion" at the time. Lemmy from Motörhead added the following sentence at the end of the sleeve notes of the "1916" album:
"This album is ozone hostile".  :D Lem' is such a funny guy!

Urizen said:
Do you believe that fair trade is real?

I'm pretty quick on conspiracy theories and doubting many acts proclaimed to be for good cause myself.

I believe what they say on the food I buy since its mostly nutrition facts, I guess. No fair trade stuff here though.

I wouldn't believe them, no matter what labels they had on their goods.

Imo, if you want to donate to a good cause there must be better ways to do it than this.

Yes, I believe fair trade is real. There are independent institutes who check the conditions under which the goods are produced and give certificates if the standards are met. If they aren't met, there's no certificate, no matter what the label's name is.
If I follow your logic, I could start to pretend that Serbia isn't real, and people who claim it exists are conspirators.

I  was not speaking to you, but to Forostar.

OK, I know very little about fair trade, and my opinion is based on that fact partly.

Well I would doubt those independent institutes as well, and their certificates. Reasons why I'd do that  - my personal views and my personal experiences mostly.

You could've thought of a better analogy :blink:. My concerns about the fairness of fair trade are understandable, at least to me.

Urizen, you need to learn to trust a little.  In Canada, independent institutes are often highly investigated by the media, just like the government.  The three sectors - public, private, and media - work in a tandem to keep the other working fairly well.  Sure, there are scandals, but they get outed by one of the other three sectors, and that particular organization or individual are usually removed from the industry and are unable to return.  In the West, the governments generally aren't out to get us.

Urizen said:
My concerns about the fairness of fair trade are understandable, at least to me.

Yeah, to you. The rest of us don't live in your head.

Perun said:
Yeah, to you. The rest of us don't live in your head.

I know that's why I said to me. What's your point?

LooseCannon said:
Urizen, you need to learn to trust a little.  In Canada, independent institutes are often highly investigated by the media, just like the government.  The three sectors - public, private, and media - work in a tandem to keep the other working fairly well.  Sure, there are scandals, but they get outed by one of the other three sectors, and that particular organization or individual are usually removed from the industry and are unable to return.  In the West, the governments generally aren't out to get us.

If I lived in Canada I'd probably had more trust. Point is I live where I live, and that's one of the factors contributing to my view on this.

My dad served in the former Yugoslavia.  I can understand why there'd be some mistrust in the government.

Urizen said:
I know that's why I said to me. What's your point?

Simple. You say that you think Fair Trade is a fraud. We ask what your reasons for assuming that are, you don't provide a proper argument, just saying it makes sense to you instead. Therefore, this discussion is entirely pointless.

You are right, I just think there's someone making money from it, except those workers. I have no evidence for it though.

Why is the discussion pointless? I simply stated my opinion. I didn't tried to convince anybody that I'm right.

Back