Evergrey

MindRuler

Old Fart
In this thread you can discuss about Evergrey, the dark prog metal band from Gothenburg Sweden.
The band was founded by mastermind Tom S. Englund (guitar, vocals) in 1995 and released its debut album The Dark Discovery 3 years later.
They released 11 studio albums and an amazing live DVD A Night To Remember. (2005)
If you're new to the band I would recommend you to start with In Search Of Truth or Recreation Day.
Although they never released a bad album, not all their albums are as strong as these two.
evergrey.jpg

I didn't expect to see an Evergrey thread ever appear on Maidenfans!

DaringFeminineDodo-size_restricted.gif

But I am glad to see that there's another fan here.

They've been one of my favourite bands in recent years since they returned from hiatus. I first started listening to them perhaps 14 years ago when I was still at school. I downloaded a few of their songs (e.g. 'A Touch of Blessing', 'Solitude Within') either straight from their website or from Limewire or a similar program. I never really went any further than just a handful of songs until getting their compilation album 'A Decade and a Half' which reignited my interest in Evergrey.

I've closely followed them since they came back with 'Hymns for the Broken' a few years ago and I think they're a better band post-hiatus. Their earlier albums have more fan favourite "hits" (for want of a better word) but the three post-hiatus albums have more interesting music. 'Hymns for the Broken' is my favourite Evergrey album.

Since their return I have also managed to see them live once in each of the previous five years - twice headlining, twice as support and once at a festival. They're a very good live band and I managed to get one of the guitar picks last year, which was nice.

I actually just starting listening to them from the beginning! This will be my second new band discography this year (just finished Testament) and I'm very intrigued.

So far, I've only listened to the debut, which is definitely more of a demo than a real album. I heard a lot of elements in the songs that I loved, but the production is absolutely abysmal and ruins any enjoyment of it. I'm hoping some of these songs appear on live albums or are rerecorded in the future, because I will never listen to anything from The Dark Discovery again.

Nice to see Evergrey is appreciated here. Been a fan since the debut which I bought after seeing an ad in a magazine. I liked the artwork and King Diamond guitarist Andy Laroque has a guest appearance on it so it was a teaser but a good one! Bought every album since 1998 and seen them 7 times live.

I will never listen to anything from The Dark Discovery again.
It's a real debut album, good songs, great songs, good ideas but as a whole not as strong as the rest of their catalogue and my least favorite album by them. :) The first 6 songs are the best of the album.

The second album is vastly superior to first! Better production, better songs, better vocals, all around really good. I'm excited to see where they go from here.

Tom Englund's voice sounds (to me) like John Bush singing like Russell Allen. I can definitely dig it.

The second album is vastly superior to first! Better production, better songs, better vocals, all around really good. I'm excited to see where they go from here.

Tom Englund's voice sounds (to me) like John Bush singing like Russell Allen. I can definitely dig it.
Solitude Dominance Tragedy is indeed a huge step (even a few steps) forward compared to the debut. All killer songs.

I actually just starting listening to them from the beginning! This will be my second new band discography this year (just finished Testament) and I'm very intrigued.
Two great bands to be listening to! I'm surprised that you've only just started listening to Evergrey, considering your tastes. I suppose they're even less well known in Murica than in Europe.

So far, I've only listened to the debut, which is definitely more of a demo than a real album. I heard a lot of elements in the songs that I loved, but the production is absolutely abysmal and ruins any enjoyment of it. I'm hoping some of these songs appear on live albums or are rerecorded in the future, because I will never listen to anything from The Dark Discovery again.
I think I listened to that one a bit and wasn't impressed. Much like Symphony X's debut it's not representative of the rest of the discography and is easily forgotten. As I mentioned above, the early albums have their "hits" and the three post-hiatus albums are more progressive and ambitious. You'll like 'The Storm Within' - it has Floor Jansen on it. I doubt they'd be able to afford her now.

Just finished In Search of Truth and I definitely prefer the second album. I know that this is a concept album, and I know what I'm getting myself into in terms of the "dark mood" of Evergrey, but I think this album might be too melodramatic. The "ballad" tracks have some really cringey vocal melody writing.

Cool music, though, and I shall continue the discography.

Just finished In Search of Truth and I definitely prefer the second album. I know that this is a concept album, and I know what I'm getting myself into in terms of the "dark mood" of Evergrey, but I think this album might be too melodramatic. The "ballad" tracks have some really cringey vocal melody writing.

Cool music, though, and I shall continue the discography.
Just give this album a second chance, MrKnickerbocker. It's an album that grows in time after several listens. I know it worked for me, now it's my favorite!

Evergrey did a fantastic live stream last night in a Gothenburg venue with a limited live audience from the local area. Why were you listening to Bruce Dickinson and Havok instead @MindRuler?

I'm presenting you Elva Bäst, my personal favorite Evergrey songs from all their studio albums.
This wasn't easy and many of my favorites didn't make it because I only picked 1 song from each album.
All those songs I ranked into a Top 11. Enjoy!

#11 - Dark Discovery (From The Dark Discovery)
The title track from their debut album is my personal favorite from this album.
It allready showed the great musicianship and songwriting and of things to come.

Last edited:
#10 - Currents (From The Atlantic)
Amazing song from their latest record. I love they keyboard line used in the chorus.
Tasty chuggy guitar riffs in the verses and melodic solo.

#9 - Leave It Behind Us (From Glorious Collision)
This album was very hard to get into and is one of my least favorite of Evergrey.
Opening song Leave It Behind Us is far superior to all the other songs on this album.

#8 - Caught In A Lie (Bonustrack from Torn)
Oddly enough I choose a bonustrack as my favorite song of Torn.
It's not a bad album and contains other great songs but this one is divine!

#7 - At Loss For Words (From Monday Morning Apocalypse)
Awesome Queensrÿche-kind of intro and extremely catchy chorus.

#6 - The Aftermath (From Hymns For The Broken)
This song builds toward a climax so beautifully.
I also think this is one of the best vocal performances of Tom.

Last edited:
#5 - In Orbit (feat. Floor Jansen) (From The Storm Within)
This is a song that's stuck into your head for days after listening to it.
Beautiful chorus and superb guest appearance by Floor Jansen. 1:56 sends shivers down my spine.

#4 - The Great Deceiver (From Recreation Day)
Now this was a tough one to choose! I had 4 songs in mind...
Why The Great Deceiver? The fantastic slow mid section!
It's also a great introduction for anyone unknown to Evergrey.

#3 - Different Worlds (From In Search Of Truth)
Underrated gem from In Search Of Truth and has always been my favorite of it.
This song contains one of my favorite Evergrey guitar solo's too.

#2 - Solitude Within (From Solitude Dominance Tragedy)
One of Evergrey classics. The guitar sound reminds me of Somewhere In Time era Maiden.

#1 - A Touch Of Blessing (From The Inner Circle)
Not only my favorite song from The Inner Circle but my alltime favorite Evergrey song.
I remember I tried to introduce a girl to Evergrey. She didn't like this song. Never seen her again. ;)

Last edited:
Back