European Politics

...Where are these European no-go zones...
Ok this will be a "hearsay" because I do not live near such area:
1. Chánov - Roma ghetto in the Czech Republic
2. Heinz Buschkowsky and his book "Neukölln ist überall" - talks about problems with muslims in Neukölln.
3. I also heard about some such locations in France, I apologize for not being specific here (I can try to google it if needed :).

Of course - "no-go zone" is quite a harsh name. Maybe "Sensitive urban zone" is less - umm - derogatory? But I believe no-go zones are no myth. I believe that the inability to solve problems of these zones leads to the fear of the immigrants (among other things of course).

Last edited:
The WWII comparisons are a bit off ... firstly, the post war migrations made countries more homogeneous (Germans expelled back to Germany, Poles in Poland, French in France) ... basically expulsions or voluntary migration of minority populations. Secondly, a lot was destroyed, and (namely in Germany), there were your post war jobs .. rebuilding.

This whole deal really exposes holes in the EU, a few countries essentially invite the migration wave, not all countries go along with it and they are all left to deal with the fallout. Add to that, mostly stagnant economies in the EU over the past decade does raise legit concerns about how to increase population in most countries in the EU. Add to that, there does need to be some orderly process to determine who is coming in and why, you cannot just open the borders and let everyone walk in. Otherwise what is the purpose of boarders.

It is a tough situation for sure. Obviously these people need help and should be treated well, but there are limits of how many people can come in.

Europe has an aging population problem, and refugees can help with that, if they are willing to integrate.

@Belenor - you say that the people who come here are more willing to integrate. I challenge you that it is different - Canadians don't care if they integrate culturally as long as they follow the laws of this country. I think many Eastern European countries are too afraid of losing their identity.

I think many Eastern European countries are too afraid of losing their identity.

I do not know about others, but I am afraid of losing money (the immigrants will have hard time finding a job -> it will be us who will pay for their homes and food - this is already happening with Gipsies here) or losing life being attackend in a dark alley :) I think it is not just about identity. Vietnamese living around here are coming from another culture too and with some exceptions of drug dealing or selling not entirely legal products, there are no problems with them. I actually think they are the most hard-working people here.

Well I should better stop writing. I have already made myself look like an antisocial racist or something here :) We have different views of this situation and I think neither of us will change it :)

So apparently the Croatian police tried to send the refugees back to Serbia at night with boats across Danube but were caught...

If there's any truth in it - goodness knows - it illustrates what is thought to be the mindset of the old-style elite Oxbridge university societies that various members of Cameron's Government were part of. There are frequent accusations that the policies they pursue are down to the fact they're completely out of touch with a large percentage of the population, if not disdainful of that same section of the population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club

What's also interesting is that the source of the story, Lord Ashcroft, a major offshore funder of the Conservative Party, could be trying to depose Cameron because the Government isn't quite doing all he wants.

It's more of a scandal involving the establishment that happened to have Cameron in it rather than a scandal strictly about Cameron himself, then?

The ritual was intended to determine if people entering certain Oxford clubs are Jews, so they can be ostracized. Not exactly the kind of people politicians today want in their past.

The ritual was intended to determine if people entering certain Oxford clubs are Jews, so they can be ostracized. Not exactly the kind of people politicians today want in their past.

Now this makes sense. Bad reporting on my news station's part, there was no context.

Antisemitism in old boys' clubs in the past wouldn't surprise me, but to me, prejudice against Muslims only became a prevalent thing here recently. The Piers Gaveston Society, the one said to have the pig ritual, is supposed to have been more about sex and decadence than anything.

So things are kinda escalating - Croatia closed the border with Serbia and only allows non-refugees&non-Serbs to enter Croatia, while Serbia closed the border for all Croatian trucks carrying Croatian goods. Croatia doesn't wanna budge until Hungarians open their border.

Anyway was watching Nigel Farage calling for unity amid the leave.eu campaign.
For those of you unaware of the fact; David Cameron has promised to hold a referendum on the UK's EU membership by the end of 2017.
Mr Farage (UKIP leader) seems to be fronting the campaign for the UK to leave and he appears to have millions of supporters.
In a couple of years the EU could be without the UK as the latest polls are running 50/50.

Back