Essential Metal Albums

How do you keep it somewhat objective? By knowing the record sales? Are essential albums only those that sell?

Arguments between people or arguments why a band is essential?

Anyway, I started with the 25 list, and finished, but I wanted to post some descriptions of the albums (a few of them are copies of earlier posts on this forum). Haven't finished these yet.

One can see it as just a list, one can also understand one's musical taste or even try out something.

Whether they broke new musical ground or influenced lots of people or whatever, some bands and albums simply had a bigger impact on the world than others. I mean, I like Atheist a lot more than I like Black Sabbath, but I can't seriously argue that Atheist are more essential. The world of rock music would be very different without Sabbath, while only a few hardcore metal fans ever noticed Atheist. And there are lots of bands who mattered even more than Sabbath.

So while it can certainly be worthwhile to post your personal best and hope somebody discovers a hidden gem, I don't accept that this kind of thing is all subjective. If your philosophy is different from mine in this regard, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

This thread is becoming so fucking annoying and, apparently, full of sissy jealousy instead of developing into other users lists. People post lists according to what they know, no matter if it's 80 or 15 albums!!! On basically every list there's something to learn about! I can argument about every album I did put there, otherwise, I wouldn't had done it. The same goes for Forostar, Albie lists who surely know what they're talking about and incited my interest in some bands.

Didn't know the thread would become a 'problem'. :S

Forostar and I are simply having a little discussion about objectivity in evaluating music. I don't see the "problem".

Oh, for heaven's sake.

When I first saw this thread, I decided to try and go over the history of metal and post what I thought were the most important albums. My post was intended as a starting point for discussion. Obviously it doesn't really matter if you pick 20 or 100 albums, but I narrowed it down very much because I thought it was funnier that way. I never said anybody else had to follow my example (although I encouraged Foro to do so, because I'm interested in his choices).

As for the objectivity debate, I don't believe there is a way to rate music in a completely objective way. As is often said, there's no accounting for taste. It is, however, possible to create certain criteria - axioms, if you will - and rate bands and albums according to those. "A great band has to be original" is an example of such an axiom. If both sides can agree on that and/or something else, there is some common ground for a discussion. In my initial post, I focused on innovation and influence, two criteria I think are good for judging what the "essential" albums are, based on my interpretation of the word. If you disagree with me on this, so be it. Again, I never said you have to approach this the way I did.

Shadow said:
(although I encouraged Foro to do so, because I'm interested in his choices).

I'll do this (probably next week unless I have time tonight), but it won't be objective. Hope it's still interesting for you and/or others.

I look at it this way.  Simply having a thread where people list their favorite albums might be somewhat interesting, and might expose people to bands they might not otherwise have tried, and that's great.  But as I understand it, that's not this thread.  This thread is obviously intended to provoke discussion and debate about which albums should be considered "essential," or part of the Metal Canon, if you will.  And, for some people, these discussions about why a band or album is essential might be more likely to lead those people (me, for instance) to explore "new to you" bands and round out their collections.  Personally, I find this discussion to be more interesting than a bunch of lists.  If Jeffmetal or others find this particular thread annoying as a result, so be it, there are other threads in this forum that just list people's favorite bands, albums and songs -- enjoy those.

Forostar said:
How do you keep it somewhat objective? By knowing the record sales? Are essential albums only those that sell?
Shadow said:
Whether they broke new musical ground or influenced lots of people or whatever, some bands and albums simply had a bigger impact on the world than others.
I don't think an album has to innovative, different, influential or have a big impact to be essential. For example, I listed Staring at the Divine as "essential" but that did none of the above - instead it's just a damn good album that people should listen to. Despite what Amazon reviewers say.

Shadow encouraged me to shorten my list. A top-25, I had fun making it. It was difficult too. I can fully recommend each of these records. This can also be seen as an "against the grain"-list. I don't want to copy-paste the often cited albums from been-done-to-death-lists. Yes, I do love Heaven and Hell and other classic and influentual albums which I've left out (and which are often 20+ years old). Instead of continuously overemphasizing these renowned works, I rather focus on a few other obscured (not in the least because of these ever repeated lists), forgotten albums which I find at least as strong.

Enough raving, here goes the list, done chronologically, plus a little description:

Forostar's essential metal albums - Part one

1. Judas Priest – Sin After Sin (1977)
200px-Jpsinsin.JPG

Filler? None. I think I'd give every track (besides Last Rose of Summer) 4 or 5 stars. This album features excellent drums of Simon Philips who was only 19 at the time of recording. “Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest” is special to me because of the harmonies in the mid-part, and I think this is the first real speed/power metal kind of song ever created. This mid-piece is really the basis of the prime-elements in Helloween's music. “Starbreaker” has a cool guitar riff, “Dissident Aggressor” I like because of its intense aggression, the vocals, the riffs. Last, but not least, an honourable mention for “Here Come The Tears”. What an emotion, what a melodies, what a build-up and what a vocals. Such deep and low vocals (check with headphones how it goes from left to right and back) and later high ones. Very impressive.

2. Samson – Head On (1980)
200px-Samson_head_on.jpg

Not an instant classic, I guess more people would like the more straightforward Shock Tactics, but I prefer this one. It has a lot variety, some nice hooky riffs and there’s a lot of weird stuff going on. Quite an adventurous mix of melodic and heavy stuff.

3. Rush – Moving Pictures (1981)
200px-Moving_Pictures.jpg

A landmark album with a superb combination of excellent musicianship and songwriting. This is the only Rush album with all songs being very strong. Besides the stable and subtle playing of Neil Peart, the production of his drums is done nicely as well. His patterns are so iconic that I could listen to these while erasing the rest of the music from my mind. You could see this album (and also its predecessor Permanent Waves) as Rush's move from very progressive music towards more compact and catchy music.

4. Dio – The Last In Line (1984)
200px-DioTheLastInLine.jpg

I like this album better than Holy Diver, maybe because it’s got “Egypt”, my favourite Dio song, but it also contains “We Rock” and the beautiful title track. I also like the shorter songs and Vivian Campbell’s typical guitar solo’s are a treat for the ears.

5. Iron Maiden – Live After Death (1985)
200px-Iron_Maiden_-_Live_After_Death.jpg

Maybe Powerslave is my favourite Maiden studio album, but since I wanted to pick two, I decided to do SIT (see below) and this one. A pretty good compromise because it still contains “Rime..”, “Powerslave” and many other great tracks.

6. Iron Maiden – Somewhere In Time (1986)
200px-Iron_Maiden_-_Somewhere_in_Time.jpg

Not a timeless album, but really something of that time. Still I think that makes it extra special. On this album Adrian brought the best out of himself. He delivered three excellent tracks, which had more of a melancholic feel than most other Maiden songs. The sound on this album really does it for me. What I like about the production is the drum sound which seems to blend so well with ‘Arry's bass and the rest of the music. There’s a big chance that Nicko’s playing and his drum sound might influence my total appreciation for Somewhere in Time. Like on Powerslave we can hear that Adrian does a lot of different things than Dave. There’s so much melody on this album and the production fits perfectly to that. All studio versions of these songs I like better than all the live versions I have ever heard. This says enough about how special this album is, doesn't it?

7. Helloween – Keeper Of The Seven Keys – part 1 (1987)
200px-Keeper_of_the_Seven_Keys_Part_1.jpg

I guess when this album came out, the term power metal didn’t exist yet, but this sure was the start of the genre, which took another “wave” when Hammerfall released there debut album. I do not like a lot of copycats in this genre, and personally I think it’s hard to top Helloween’s exquisite cocktail of fast songs with its fast harmonies and excellent vocals. I like 1 better than 2. It is much shorter but I find it has a smaller amount of weaker tracks.

8. Slayer - South Of Heaven (1988)
200px-Slayer_South_of_Heaven_Cover.jpg

South of Heaven I regard as Slayer's best album and “Ghosts of War” as their best song. Albie agrees with me. :)
I remember reading an interview in which Kerry King said that this was the only (or first) album for which they really prepared the songs well before entering the studio. It shows. I particulary like the aggressive riffs and drum patterns (especially the breaks). The sound is kind of dry but you hear everything really well. These drums are very prominent in the mix, but just like on Moving Pictures, here it’s also cool to follow the master, in this case Mr. Dave Lombardo.

9. Black Sabbath - Headless Cross (1989)
Black-Sabbath-Headless-Cross.jpg

Tony Martin did 5 studio albums with Black Sabbath. I like them all very much. Headless Cross I find the best. This album keeps you at the edge of your seat, from the first moments, when you can hear the sissing pits of hell till the dying seconds of “Nightwing”, an excellent atmospherical track featuring several guitar solos (including an acoustic one) and a really nice vocal melody.
I remember, when I bought this album in Paris, that I played it non-stop on repeat in the train on the way back to Holland. From then on I knew that I had to get all Black Sabbath albums.

10 Running Wild - Death Or Glory (1989)
Dog200.jpg

This German band always got trashed by Aardschok (Dutch metal magazine), every album got a shit review. I really don’t know what the problem was, especially when I listen to some classic albums. Death or Glory is my favourite. Really nice guitarwork, and vocals as well. On this album Rolf Kasparek still reached some excellent high notes. At times he sounds like Blaze but then with a higher range. Many strong tracks, the excellent epic “The Battle of Waterloo” included.

11. Judas Priest – Painkiller (1990)
200px-Judaspainkiller.JPG

Next to Maiden, the only band which gets two albums in my list. Painkiller is the best combination of aggression & melody ever. The riffs, the solos, the vocals, the song material, it's spellbinding. I advise everyone to hear this album with headphones as well. Those guitars on the left and right side are interesting to follow.

12. Gamma Ray - Sigh No More (1991)
200px-Gr_snm.jpg

This is, I admit, a weird pick. Gamma Ray is known for their typical (sometimes happy) power/heavymetal songs and they actually made quite some nice albums in that style. However, I still choose this album, which is closer to my heart. It is a darker album, but also less “in your face”-metal. You could call it atmospherical hardrock with a certain tension which appeals to me. The production isn’t the best but nevertheless the performances and the mood realy grabbed me at the first listening.
More than a few songs are less breathtaking, but the opener “Changes”, the semi-ballad “Father and Son”, the epic “Dreamhealer” and the uplifting “The Spirit” are damn good. Maybe the album could have been better if the band had focussed on the more serious and darker mood, and had left out the more simple and banal tracks. Still I find it a special record, which should not go unmentioned in my list.

13. Gorefest – False (1992)
200px-Gorefest_false.jpg

The band’s most energetic record. I’ll never forget the day that I saw them live for the first time. The first band with a grunter I ever saw. And what a powerful vocals, what a drummer I witnessed. Amazing strength on stage. This record features a lot of the band’s strongest songs and is an instant death metal classic. The band broke up last year, but the drummer Ed Warby (internationally also known for his work with Arjen Lucassen) is still highly productive in other bands. The lyrics are interesting, because they are not the typical you would expect from a death metal band.

I'd hoped a few other people would follow me in making their top 25 metal albums of all times, but I haven't seen any response. Of course I haven't forgotten this, and I'm still curious.

So, if some newer (or old) members are tempted, please give it a try!

Picking up where I left, here my remainder of my list, following the chronological order, without explanation.
I in turn might be motivated to work on that when I see if others are interested to post their favourites. :)

Forostar's essential metal albums - Part two

14. My Dying Bride – Turn Loose The Swans (1993)
15. Amorphis – Tales From The Thousand Lakes (1994)
16. At The Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease (1994)
17. Virgin Steele - The Marriage Of Heaven and Hell - pt II (1995)
18. Napalm Death – Diatribes (1996)
19. Sear Bliss – Phantoms (1996)
20. Bruce Dickinson – Accident Of Birth (1997)
Very melodic and well produced album. Many people (Bruce himself included) prefer The Chemical Wedding and that album has some of my favourite tracks (e.g. “King In Crimson”) but as a whole album I find AOB more enthralling to listen to. It has quite some nice moody moments as well.

21. Primal Fear - Primal Fear (1998)
22. Iron Savior – Unification (1999)
23. Iced Earth – Alive In Athens (1999)
24. Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine (2000)
25. Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress (2006)

I'd obviously forgotten this thread until Foro revived it today, so here goes.  As always, I reserve the right to change my mind and have different opinions tomorrow.

Here is a top 25, but I won't try to rank them yet -- maybe later.  Again, per the discussion earlier in the thread, this list combines personal preference with acknowledgement of cultural/musical significance.  So, I'm not putting unknown favorites on here, but I ain't putting Destroyer by Kiss on here either, even though it was a pretty big deal, because I hate Kiss. 

Without further ado:

AC/DC:  Back in Black
AC/DC:  Highway to Hell
Black Sabbath:  Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath:  Paranoid
Black Sabbath:  Heaven and Hell
Blind Guardian:  Nightfall in Middle Earth
Blind Guardian:  Live
Dio:  Holy Diver
Guns 'n' Roses:  Appetite for Destruction
Iced Earth:  Alive in Athens
Iron Maiden:  Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden:  Powerslave
Iron Maiden:  Live After Death
Iron Maiden:  Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Judas Priest:  Unleashed in the East
Judas Priest:  British Steel
Megadeth:  Rust in Peace
Metallica:  Ride the Lightning
Metallica:  Master of Puppets
Opeth:  Blackwater Park
Ozzy Osbourne:  Blizzard of Ozz
Rainbow:  Rising
Rush:  Moving Pictures
Slayer:  Reign in Blood
UFO:  Strangers in the Night

Pretty conventional, I realize, but it's really hard to have an "essential" list without these on there.  Note: the "last ones in" to the Top 25 were Megadeth and Slayer...narrowly edging Death's Sound of Perseverance, Def Leppard's Pyromania, Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime and Tool's Lateralus.  And I could really go either way on any of those. 

Thanks man, much appreciated. I guess I've heard most of them, but I still really need to check out:

Cornfed Hick said:
UFO:  Strangers in the Night

Cornfed Hick said:
Here is a top 25, but I won't try to rank them yet -- maybe later.

As you've noticed, I tried to evade this as well. ;)

No one has mentioned Overkill. Their first album Feel The Fire is very Maiden-esque and their second Taking Over is quite strong. Likewise Metal Church's first two albums are quite nice. Flotsam & Jetsam's No Place for Disgrace, Slayer: Seasons in the Abyss, Anthrax: Spreading the Disease, Testament: The New Order, any of Death Angel's first 3 (I prefer Act III) and King Diamond: Them all need to be included. The late 80s was (and always will be in my view) the best era for metal.

I agree big time with the two first Metal Church albums but I also do like the third record.

Metal_church_blessing_in_disguise.jpg

I find it an intelligent album. Different singer, different music:
Longer, more atmospheric and complex songs with some really nice melodies and riffs.

Thanks for the Overkill recommendations. I was aware of this band but never got into them. I think I heard later work which didn't appeal to me that much.

I didn't like Blessing in Disguise as much as the first two -- mostly due to the singer, but there are some great tracks. Fake Healer and Badlands are among their best.

As for Overkill I would definately check out Feel the Fire and if you like that try Taking Over. After that, Overkill is pretty hit or miss. Their sound did change from Iron Maiden clones to a more power/thrash sound. I lost interest in them by their 5th album, Horrorscope. Their lineup was very unstable by then.

Blessing in Disguise is possibly one of the best albums of that era. I cannot stress enough how bloody good it is.

Wow some great albums on that list, Foro. However I'd replace LAD with Piece Of Mind.

Hadn't noticed this thread until now.I made a quick list and then picked the best 25.I'm not counting Maiden, Bruce and Blaze albums in.And I'm only picking 2 albums from each band.

Megadeth: Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction.
Yngwie Malmsteen: Marching Out, Odyssey.
Angra: Angels Cry, Holy Land.
Blind Guardian: Somewhere Far Beyond.
Helloween: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Pt 2.
Iced Earth: Night Of the Stormrider.
Axel Rudi Pell: Oceans Of Time.
WASP: The Crimson Idol.
Black Sabbath: Tyr, Dehumanizer.
Dio: Holy Diver, Dream Evil.
Savatage: Streets: A Rock Opera.
Y&T: Mean Streak.
Kiss: Revenge.
Mercyful Fate: Time.
Pearl Jam: Ten
Ozzy: No More Tears.
Skid Row: Slave To The Grind.
Manowar: Kings of Metal.
Alter Bridge: Blackbird.
Ian Gillan Toolbox.

Hmm...That was quick.Perhaps it wasn't done with the best possible way but these are more or less Murder89's 25 essential Metal albums.  

edit: Essential sounds too serious or strict.Let's just say these are some albums I like very much.  :D

Back