Epica

Radio DJ Sheila Doki conducted an interview with guitarist Mark Jansen on April 27, 2008 in Ft. Worth, Texas prior to the band's show with SYMPHONY X. Among other things, Mark discusses

- his favorite songs to do live,
- his thoughts about MTV and the "music" played on it,
- what he feels makes Epica different from other female-fronted metal bands, and
- how Epica plans to continually get heavier.

The two-part video interview can be viewed here:

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYoz1URYInE
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RirWWsruR0

Next Saturday (one day after Steve Harris) I am going to the Epica Retrospect concert, a gig celebrating their 10 years of existence (actually they exist longer but who cares). Looking forward to an awesome gig with lots of special guests and unexpected gems in the setlist. And it looks like more people can witness this event! Read on!

On the 23rd of March 2013, we will celebrate our 10th anniversary with a special performance entitled Retrospect. Joining us on stage will be a 70-piece symphonic orchestra and choir. It is an extremely ambitious project, with special effects and unexpected guests, and we are happy it's about to sell out, and that fans from allover the world will be joining us for this special occasion.

Since we have announced the Retrospect show, we have been receiving a lot of messages from fans who unfortunately are unable to join us for this unique experience, asking us to record it for a DVD release, as they live in other countries or even other continents.

Meanwhile, here a clip of them kicking ass during yesterday's radio performance:

Nice recording project of a Meshuggah song by two ex-Epica members Jeroen Simons (drums) and Ad Sluijter (guitar). Awesome drum breaks. Check it out:

Yeah, nice solo as well by Ad! Meshuggah is quite different music from Epica but these two guys are pretty good.

edit: Forgot to mention that the grunts are also done by drummer Jeroen Simons. :)

On their page one can watch part 1 and 2 of the making of documentary. REALLY excited for this album! Even if it comes down to buying this album or paying rent, so gonna buy it :p

I agree. Last 3 Epica albums and both MaYaN albums are all awesome. Mark Jansen's on a streak :D

Well, to be honest, I don't like the previous album that much, and also the one before that I found less good than previous work. This time they took a different approach, and worked more together on songs. Also for the first time, they took a new producer (Joost van den Broek, ex-After Forever, who also did the last MaYaN album). They are re-energized so to speak. :)

And Isaac Delahaye wrote more music than Mark if I am counting song credits.

This is stellar. I decided, after only 2 listenings ;-), that this is my new favourite Epica song:

Well, to be honest, I don't like the previous album that much, and also the one before that I found less good than previous work. This time they took a different approach, and worked more together on songs. Also for the first time, they took a new producer (Joost van den Broek, ex-After Forever, who also did the last MaYaN album). They are re-energized so to speak. :)

And Isaac Delahaye wrote more music than Mark if I am counting song credits.
I don't like the pre-Design Your Universe stuff honestly. The introduction of two God Dethroned guys revitalized the band. More focus on guitars and drums (consequently less synths) that came with them made me like the band.

I think the last album with Ad (with Ariën on drums already) had stronger songwriting than the 2 next albums. About the stuff before that: I was never that fond of the productions but live this music always ruled. Seif al fuckin' Din! Cry for the Moon! Facade of Reality! Mother of Light! Consign to Oblivion! (list continues). Enough guitar and drums, live. But as you might know, I am an early fan. A very early one. :)

Back