Eddie Trunk about Janick Gers

Hm... I don't know, I've tried listening to the solo a dozen times, I can't make out any other guitar except for Adrian's... And Janick's, when it becomes obvious after 3:04.

You could be right. Best thing to check is the CD version and listen well. Or the "Death on the Road" version, unless they played it different back then of course. :)

Well done!  :ok:

edit: I just saw Moonchild and The Clairvoyant (due to lack of time I decided to wait with seeing these beauties) and I must again stress that I am really fond of Janick in the band. He's so into all those songs from before his time, I find that very admirable. And he really does enrich the tracks, e.g. he also does that part in The Clairvoyant solo and he has his own little role in the Moonchild intro, perfectly captured on camera.

The interaction between him and the others is just unbeatable!

That was my assumption, but as I do not know everything about Maiden like you guys yet, I had to ask :) I will get that RNTH biography, ASAP.

I won't argue his songwriting merits are valuable or that he is a decent guy but I just saw Maiden for the 5th time in 26 years and I found his onstage antics out of place and ridiculous. I was not alone in this opinion. I don't like that it distracted from the show and I mostly just felt embarrassed for both him and the band. Eddie Trunk's opinion was spot on.

Thanks for bumping this thread after a year dude.

Now that it's bumped anyway, I'll add this: I saw Maiden last night in Pittsburgh and every "casual" fan that I was around was entertained as hell by Janick.  So I say more skipping and twirling and high kicks.  No one except on messageboards gives a shit if he's playing other guys' solos or even if he's playing things sloppily because half the time you can't even hear him in the mix.

Crimson Mask said:

Now that it's bumped anyway, I'll add this: I saw Maiden last night in Pittsburgh and every "casual" fan that I was around was entertained as hell by Janick.  So I say more skipping and twirling and high kicks.  No one except on messageboards gives a shit if he's playing other guys' solos or even if he's playing things sloppily because half the time you can't even hear him in the mix.

I like you!

Crimson Mask said:

No problem...if wonderful topics weren't meant to be re-visited, then the threads should be removed.

I too was with many a casual fans and they too were entertained by Janick's antics...just not in a good way. He hardly represents the evil beast that was Iron Maiden of yesteryear and for that I am a little saddened.

My opinion is that his antics are the least of his problems. I never felt it that out of place, except in slower songs. But songs liike Iron Maiden fit his antics well IMO. I'd much rather see him dancing than hear his playing to be honest. His solos are just a mess, even painful to listen to sometimes.

But, now that the bad stuff is out of the way, I'll say I like his songwriting, and his solos in the studio can be pretty good.

Eddie Trunk always acts like he doesn't care about Maiden on TMS. It's been said many times on the show that the first two albums own every other album they've ever done, but when he was asked about the first Maiden album to feature Adrian Smith, he couldn't get it. He seems fake to me.

Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with him. A relatively nice bloke. But he's completely wrong about his statements.

Or was. Way back when the thread was first created.

He says the first 2 Maiden albums smokes the rest of the discography 'cos Bruce doesn't lick U.S.A.'s ass. In fact, whenever he gets a chance, he puts Maiden on an uncomfortable place on his show, but when he's interviewing the guys, he looks like a groupie.

i dont know about trunk but mr.sideburns thinks maiden should bring Paul back. and a lot of people think the first 2 albums are the best I think killers is thier best album. and on trunk's site on his favorite albums the only maiden album is NOTB and on his radio show he mostly plays golden era epics i dont think he has a problem with bruce i think the sideburns dude does though 

How can he likes the first 2 albums and then list TNOTB as one of his faves? The guy has a face for each situation. Typical.

Mosh said:
i dont know about trunk but mr.sideburns thinks maiden should bring Paul back. and a lot of people think the first 2 albums are the best I think killers is there best album. and on trunk's site on his favorite albums the only maiden album is NOTB and on his radio show he mostly plays golden era epics i dont think he has a problem with bruce i think the sideburns dude does though

Yes, but you don't think Killers rapes Maiden's discography.

Opinions are opinions, but if you have a strong opinion, you should stay consistent with it.

Jeffmetal said:
He says the first 2 Maiden albums smokes the rest of the discography 'cos Bruce doesn't lick U.S.A.'s ass. In fact, whenever he gets a chance, he puts Maiden on an uncomfortable place on his show, but when he's interviewing the guys, he looks like a groupie.

Pretty much.

he is also very defensive of
maiden doing just new material

Yeah I don't agree with him on a lot of stuff, but as was said he does a lot for metal as a genre and TMS is a good show.

Also, his facts aren't always right. He said Mark Evans was the first AC/DC bassist (on stump the trunk) and they gave it to him. ::)

Back