Eddie Trunk about Janick Gers

"Dive Dive Live", it's part of the Bruce Dickinson - Anthology box-set (3 dvds).

Wow I have to watch it! It's funny though - it might be surprising to some of you, but I haven't got into any of the boys' solo projects yet.

Well, then you need to take a listen to Bruce's and Blaze's solo projects! Have a look in the Solo/side project subforum...

Ardius said:
Blood Brothers solo, that's all I'll say to this.

Im fact, worth watching this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qETyfjJIesQ

Janick has different style of playing, if you don't like it, fair enough, but saying his playing is rubbish is not on.
I think it's the opposite way around actually.  His solos are pretty much sloppy and "butchery" sounding (which I personally kinda dig  :D),  but I can't say they're good.  Admittedly few who are not Maiden fans (yet listen to metal) will appreciate this kind of guitar playing.  I don't think he should leave Maiden,  he is an important part of the band,  but his guitar playing is not among the best out there. 

SneakySneaky said:
I think it's the opposite way around actually.  His solos are pretty much sloppy and "butchery" sounding (which I personally kinda dig  :D),  but I can't say they're good.  Admittedly few who are not Maiden fans (yet listen to metal) will appreciate this kind of guitar playing.  I don't think he should leave Maiden,  he is an important part of the band,  but his guitar playing is not among the best out there. 

If you're going to generalise then sure you are going to see things the opposite way around  ::)
He doesn't always play "sloppy" as with the example of Blood Brothers. There are many more examples of his fine guitar playing skills.

Ardius said:
If you're going to generalise then sure you are going to see things the opposite way around  ::)
He doesn't always play "sloppy" as with the example of Blood Brothers. There are many more examples of his fine guitar playing skills.
That's because it's one of his slower ones.  There's really no point in mentioning other songs he plays in.  As I said,  I kinda like his soloiing,  with the exception of the H ones.  Utter butchering there.  I get why he does Hallowed,  but why Revelations???  Did they play that live during the Blaze era? 
To put it this way:  find me a guitarist who was influenced by Janick Gers. 

Well for me Janick's aggresiveness adds variety. A great thing about Maiden's 3 guitarists are they have different and easily identifiable styles. In fairness to Janick, I don't judge him solely on his guitar skills as he has made great songs on the Maiden catalog, and his solo style has a feel that complements the theme of many songs, like his solos in Sign of the Cross, Brave New World, Ghost of the Navigator, Como Estais Amigos among others. Yes, he is sloppy but I don't think it's that big of a handicap as there are times where it's an advantage, like in his solo in Ghost of the Navigator, Man on the Edge, The Pilgrim, The Legacy, where his solos give tension which doesn't stray from the song's mood.

I think that it's worth mentioning, especially because it's often ignored - Janick is an astounding composer. Here are some songs I think he shines at:

• Wasting Love
  • Weekend Warrior - although some of you may ignore all of the filler on FOTD, I think this song is so beautiful!
  • All of the songs he composed or co-compsed on TXF, easily[/i]
    • [li]Ghost of the Navigator
    • Out of the Silent Planet
    • Montségur - Hell of a song!
    • Dance of Death - Easily one of the best songs I have ever heard
    • Gates of Tomorrow - Fun song!
    • The Legacy - Such a tough song! Really kick s you in the nuts

So you see, I think that not only he's an integral part of the band, he also contributes a lot more than just his sloppy guitar playing. However, I have to say - I don't find his playing bad or annoying or anything - I actually like it (I do think sometimes he's overkill (trying to play 100 notes in 0.23 seconds
:eek:), but I think it's add a contrast to all the H and Davy.

SneakySneaky said:
I get why he does Hallowed,  but why Revelations???
I don't get that too - Why do they do that? On a lot of songs. I mean, for once and while it's nice to share, but I'd like to see H playing more of his solos from the glden era.

You know what? I rethought that now. I think I would like them to rotate between solos - like one show Dave will play Flight of Icarus, which is his, the next show Adrian and then Janick, you get my drift. I think that would be so cool! They could showcase how each guitarist makes something else out of every solo!

SneakySneaky said:
Well said, but I'm sure there are a few. How many of them were influenced by his guitar playing and how many from his show talent I don't know :p

This is a pretty old discussion, but what the heck:

Adrian hardly does not play any of his "own" original solos anymore. The only one we regularly see is HBTN.

For, the rest: it's logical to share the parts when you are with one more guy in the band. A natural, social thing.

Well, Janick has played the Revelations solo since the reunion (I believe that the first time the song was played was during the GMETID tour), and the HCW and HBTN solos since Adrian left the band... He should get at least a few solos. If they ever do a '90s era tour, there won't be a problem since they always play 6 or 7 "classics" with Adrian's solos.

Anyway, here's a list of Janick's solos during the SBIT tour (7):

- 2MTM (second half of Adrian's solo)
- Revelations
- The Trooper (unison with Adrian)
- HCW
- FOTD
- Moonchild
- HBTN

Adrian's solos (8 ):
- Aces High
- 2MTM
- The Trooper (unison with Janick)
- Wasted Years
- NOTB
- CIPWM
- ROTAM
- Powerslave

Dave's solos (13):
- Aces High
- 2MTM
- Revelations
- The Trooper
- NOTB
- ROTAM
- Powerslave
- HCW
- RTTH
- FOTD
- Moonchild
- The Clairvoyant
- HBTN

Holy cr4p! Davey wins big time! :D

SneakySneaky said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison.  H played in Maiden's golden years, but Janick in the "dark nineties" where neither Maiden nor metal as a whole wasn't very big.  And the Maiden influences overall were weaker in the nineties, by then other big bands had also risen (e.g. Metallica) and a whole lot more subgenres.

Janick's style is quite unique. I find it pretty cool that I don't know anyone (apart from his own example Blackmoore) who sounds a bit like him.

Forostar said:
Janick's style is quite unique. I find it pretty cool that I don't know anyone (apart from his own example Blackmoore) who sounds a bit like him.

When\where did he say that?

gulranek said:
Well, Janick has played the Revelations solo since the reunion (I believe that the first time the song was played was during the GMETID tour), and the HCW and HBTN solos since Adrian left the band... He should get at least a few solos. If they ever do a '90s era tour, there won't be a problem since they always play 6 or 7 "classics" with Adrian's solos.

Anyway, here's a list of Janick's solos during the SBIT tour (7):

- 2MTM (second half of Adrian's solo)
- Revelations
- The Trooper (unison with Adrian)
- HCW
- FOTD
- Moonchild
- HBTN

Adrian's solos (8 ):
- Aces High
- 2MTM
- The Trooper (unison with Janick)
- Wasted Years
- NOTB
- CIPWM
- ROTAM
- Powerslave

Dave's solos (13):
- Aces High
- 2MTM
- Revelations
- The Trooper
- NOTB
- ROTAM
- Powerslave
- HCW
- RTTH
- FOTD
- Moonchild
- The Clairvoyant
- HBTN

Holy cr4p! Davey wins big time! :D

If I remember correctly, Jan also plays the CIPWM solo with Adrian. ;)

pilau said:
When\where did he say that?

I am not sure where I read that Janick is influenced by Purple/Blackmore but it can easily be heard.

By the way, I suggest you start reading Maiden's official biography "Run to the Hills".
All fans who are interested in Maiden should have this on their shelf.

GhostofCain said:
If I remember correctly, Jan also plays the CIPWM solo with Adrian. ;)

I doubt it.

About the CIPWM solo, they play only the part after 3:04 together. Everything before that is just Adrian, otherwise it would sound pretty obvious that they're playing it together (like The Trooper or TETMD, in those songs you can hear them not being very much in sync).

I thought it's an effect Adrian uses, just like on Maiden England, but indeed, later on I see that Janick plays along, so why not from the beginning (from 2.54)?

Back