Eddie Trunk about Janick Gers

Alright. Anyway, let me still support Back in the Village. He might have overreacted in some of our eyes, but I understand it. This is a Maidenfans forum and to defend Janick is totally understandable.

When I look at what is happening on the official Maiden forum, Back in the Village is still one of the nicer blokes.
;) 

At the risk of fence-sitting, you're all correct.  Janick is a valuable addition to the band creatively, his histrionics on stage can get a bit ridiculous, Eddie Trunk is worthy of some praise if for no other reason than he is the only metal D.J. in the U.S. I have even heard of in the past 20 years, and I often disagree with him.  For example,  he loves Kiss, and I loathe Kiss. 

(As an aside, my daughter goes to "mommy-and-me" class with Paul Stanley's kid at a Presbyterian church preschool.  I met him briefly at a fundraiser.  Gotta love the LA preschool circuit -- you meet all kinds of celebrities that way, and some of them aren't douchebags, surprisingly.  I didn't get a sense whether Stanley was a douchebag, but his wife is hot.  I did not mention to him that I happen to hate Kiss.) 

Here's what Eddie sent to me:

"I NEVER said he did not play or contribute or should be out of the band! Maiden fans need to calm down, this is insane. I don't know why he DANCES on stage! As simple as that! In Cinderella sure, in Maiden!?!?!?!
Thanks"

Hahaha.  So I guess he is getting deluged from more than just me.  Thanks Eddie.

Well thanks for the info, but he probably only takes his time to seriously answer those people who don't mind what he says.

If you want, check out this answer to the following decent e-mail one fanclub member sent to him.
Copy/paste:
-------

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 5:41 AM, <me> wrote:

''Dear Mr. Trunk,

Having read your brief tirade over Janick Gers after it was posted on the Iron Maiden Fan Club message boards I must say I am disappointed. Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion on Mr. Gers, but I believe, as do many, that he is a brilliant guitar player, songwriter and that he is possessed of an amazing stage presence. Please refrain, therefore, from insinuating, as you did in your article about the Florida show, that this is the opinion of all Iron Maiden fans (''Nobody can figure out...''). I'm sure this is not how you meant your opinion to sound, but it did come across like that, to me anyway.

Thank you for your time,

Tristan Ryan

Up the Irons!''

-------
answer:
-------

Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 13:05:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Janick Gers
To: My Email

''everyone has asked and talks about it, nobody says it...''

-------
Next e-mail from fanclub member:
-------

''I beg to differ. The vast majority of the active Iron Maiden board don't seem to have a problem with him and some of those that do like his songwriting. I'm not asking you to refrain from stating your opinions, merely that you refrain from suggesting they are the opinions of all Maiden fans.

Tristan''

-------

...no answer.

I guess you won't be surprised that this really doesn't stimulate me to converse with this guy. I agree exactly with the content of the mails this Tristan sent, and I surely couldn't be more respectful.

Let the band deal with him the way they want. In the end they know best what to think of it.

------------

I didn't hear his interview with Nicko (who loves Trunk, and Trunk calls Nicko "his friend") yet, but here a little summary from someone who did (source official Maidenforum):
-------

Nice interview. No mention of the Janick issue. They discussed the tour and the film. Nicko was very complimentary of the fans, was proud as a Floridian that the Florida show sold out, mentioned all of the traveling fans that Maiden has and mentioned that they're noticing a lot more pretty girls/women at their shows.

Discussed having to re-learn some of the old songs and his love of Hallowed Be Thy Name as a live song.

Taking the rest of the year off, they're going to start writing the new album in November 2009 and recording in January 2010. Mentioned possibly touring in late 2010, but probably 2011.

''I beg to differ. The vast majority of the active Iron Maiden board don't seem to have a problem with him and some of those that do like his songwriting. I'm not asking you to refrain from stating your opinions, merely that you refrain from suggesting they are the opinions of all Maiden fans.
[/quote]
That's pretty much what I said in my email too, and guess what - No reply.  :p

Forostar said:
Taking the rest of the year off, they're going to start writing the new album in November 2009 and recording in January 2010. Mentioned possibly touring in late 2010, but probably 2011.

Alright, time for Bruce's solo tour! :D

Who knows if Bruce has the time. Adrian will be busy with three of his music projects, so that's cool.

Back in the Village said:
What has Eddie the fuckwit Trunk got wrong? Everything else basically. Yeah Jan dances about, chucks his guitar in the air, etc etc but dont Bruce and Steve show a similar kind of energy on stage?
In all fairness,  the energy Bruce and Steve have is the red bull kind of energy,  whereas Janick's got the "on crack" type  :D.

Personally I have no problem with Janick being in the band.  I kinda dig his sloppy sounding solos.  I could go with fewer dancing moves though (still nothing to grumble about).  His contribution was important when Adrian left the band,  and even after the reunion he's written some good stuff.  Although what some people are saying about him having to remain in the band because of how important he was in that dark era isn't much of an argument (to a guy like Schaffer anyway  :p).  I should also mention that I've heard quite often from people here negative views about Janick.  So anyway,  what I'm trying to say is,  we can't know which group is the majority or the minority.  It all depends on where you look.

Back in the Village said:
The only thing Eddie Trunk, whoever the fuck he is, got right was that Janick is a nice guy. I have a friend who lives near him in the Teeside area of the Northeast of England. He told me Jan still goes to the local, stands at the bar, and no-one would know he is a member of one of the worlds biggest bands and probably worth millions. He is a down to earth guy who hasnt lost touch with his roots.

That's nice. Bruce also goes to his local boozer with his mates.

Anyway, Eddie Trunk sometimes comes across as the typical yank stuck in the 80s. I know he supports metal and what have you, but I have never liked his interviews or the way he acts as if he is right all the time. I could not care less about what he says and Bruce certainly looked bored when Eddie Trunk interviewed him back in 2008 so he probably shares our opinion about Trunk.

I totally agree with Eddie Truck's statements on Janick. I only have a few (5 or so) friends who are into Maiden, and we are all in solidarity that Janick's antics are ridiculous. But worse than the antics are his sloppy solos. Watch Flight 666 and pay attention to The Trooper when Janick and H play the solo together (Janick just mucks it up). My favorite part however has to be in Revelations where Dave plays a nice solo and then Janick steps in with the crunchy garbled mess, only to be superceded by Adrian. The look on Janick's face when Adrian takes over is priceless. It's like wait what? But Adrian probably was just sick of the blasphemy coming from Jan's guitar.

Whether you think his antics or guitar playing is worse, it's clear Jan does not add much.

*Opens the umbrella against the imminent shitstorm*

Where's that hilarious all-purpose response to Janick/Blaze haters Loosecannon once wrote?  It would be very useful for all these comments. :halo:

BTW, the harmony after Janick's solo in Revelations is not considered a solo, they all play it together.

Habberdasher said:
I totally agree with Eddie Truck's statements on Janick. I only have a few (5 or so) friends who are into Maiden, and we are all in solidarity that Janick's antics are ridiculous. But worse than the antics are his sloppy solos. Watch Flight 666 and pay attention to The Trooper when Janick and H play the solo together (Janick just mucks it up). My favorite part however has to be in Revelations where Dave plays a nice solo and then Janick steps in with the crunchy garbled mess, only to be superceded by Adrian. The look on Janick's face when Adrian takes over is priceless. It's like wait what? But Adrian probably was just sick of the blasphemy coming from Jan's guitar.

Whether you think his antics or guitar playing is worse, it's clear Jan does not add much.

Blood Brothers solo, that's all I'll say to this.

Im fact, worth watching this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qETyfjJIesQ

Janick has different style of playing, if you don't like it, fair enough, but saying his playing is rubbish is not on.

Yeah, Janick's Blood Brothers solo... He nailed that one perfectly, one of the best Maiden solos ever.

Everyone probably agrees, but I'll still add that the Blood Brothers solo is abso-fucking-lutely amazing.  I was cycling to work yesterday and listening to Rock in Rio, and I almost had to stop to listen to that one solo.  I didn't stop because I was just crossing a road. :D

gulranek said:
Yeah, Janick's Blood Brothers solo... He nailed that one perfectly, one of the best Maiden solos ever.

It's a matter of taste (and death?). I prefer the more flowing, melodic solos like in Powerslave or Charlotte the Harlot to the more chaotic, aggressive style that Janick typically plays. Still not convinced on Blood Brothers, but Janick does have some nice solos, just not nearly as good as Smith/Murray typically.

For all you Truck haters, in Flight 666 he interviews Bruce and you can tell Mr. Dickinson didn't like his line of questioning. Comuppance? See it for yourself, but it made me think of this thread.

I thought that the question Trunk asked wasn't too unreasonable, but got the impression that Bruce previously/already didn't think much of the man, and answered accordingly.

Back