Ed Force One

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
That's the name of the plane!

From the official Iron Maiden site:
----------------------------------
After a lot of deliberation, we can finally announce the name of Maiden's 757, and the lucky winner of our 'name the plane' competition. Over to Rod...

"From well over 2000 entries, Bruce and I chose ED FORCE ONE. ALthough many were quite original in concept, it has a nice ring to it. In the tie breaker pretty well all of you chose to flatter the band! Very nice of you! Anyway, we chose WILSON's entry - "Timeless, inspirational, continually evolving, but always true to themselves, camaraderie that survives the evil that men do!" - I like the reference to camaraderie as I feel that it's something the Maiden and their fans are very much about."

So big congratulations to WILSON who'll soon be sinking a few beverages with Rod backstage before watching the gig from the mixing desk as well as getting some goodies like a tour jacket a personalised signed pic of the plane. (Signed by the band, not by the plane, obviously.)

We'll also be sorting out runners up prizes for the 15 other people who chose the same name!

Cool name, but it's nothing to do with a British band.

Air Force One = U.S. president's plane
Aero Force One = Aerosmith fanclub

things are not like they used to be in Maidenland, but I still "believe" !

Psh, they should've chose something more original or "maiden" in nature instead of a not-so-clever spin-off.  I'm disappointed.

Yeah, there are lots of "characters" from Maiden songs and references there, plus stuff like Aces High, Tailgunner and everything else related to flight itself.

A bit dissapointed. Still, it does have a nice ring to it.

InfiniteDreamer said:
15 ??????????????

Lack of creativity and good sense !

But I still BELIEVE in Maiden...

Whoa whoa whoa whoa!
Steady there, its not THAT bad. I think its appropriate given air force one's status as a highly important plane. Its refers to the passengers' importance for the USA and also serves as a symbol of American presidency and power.

Are we not in agreement that the boys are very important persons and as such Ed Force One is a very important plane?  :D

Edit: Also, Air Force One is very well known around the world, especially after all the references in movies, books and games and even having a title movie. Although there are other famous planes out there, SpitEd or Jumbo Ed dont really work. (although, I think ConcordEd would've been great  :p )
I think naming the plane after a song or something obviously Maiden is too obvious, remember it is Bruce who was agreeing with the names...he would choose something like this.

Seems like I'm the only one to really like the name.  When I heard it, I just had that "yes" feeling; great name in my opinion.  I think it blows "Icarus Dream's" head clean off :p

Invader said:
Seems like I'm the only one to really like the name.  When I heard it, I just had that "yes" feeling; great name in my opinion.  I think it blows "Icarus Dream's" head clean off :p

You're not the only one, Invader. I like it too, maybe because I have always had a weakness for playing with words ...

I am one of the 15 that chose that same name, strange 15 others chose it too. To be fair it was the only thing i could think of and to be honest i thought it was pretty naff at the time.

Still it has a cool ring to it but i bet there were far far better entries.

Does anyone know what the runner up prizes are because i cant find the page with the info on?

I still disagree that the name should have been related to Maiden.  If they had named it after any one Maiden song, there would certainly have been an outcry of "why that song?" or "wouldn't ___ have been better?".  Ed Force One is a nice play on words, is short, easy to write and say, and makes it clear that it is a plane.  More importantly, it is a reference to Eddie, not a single Maiden song.  Eddie is Maiden, so I think it's highly appropriate. 

What's more, the name is timeless.  The tour is about the "golden years".  For example, a reference to Tailgunner would have been inappropriate on this tour.  Icarus Dream, also, is from Piece of Mind, but the focus is supposed to be on the albums after that.  Aces High is the only reference I think could have been appropriate, given that it is pretty much an iconic song of that era, as well as a great opener.  However, even that would have been obsolete next tour.  With Ed Force One, the band can use the name (if they so wish) on later tours if they still use one plane.

And why did 15 people choose the same?  Well, great minds think alike, don't they? :)

Invader said:
I still disagree that the name should have been related to Maiden.  If they had named it after any one Maiden song, there would certainly have been an outcry of "why that song?" or "wouldn't ___ have been better?".  Ed Force One is a nice play on words, is short, easy to write and say, and makes it clear that it is a plane.  More importantly, it is a reference to Eddie, not a single Maiden song.  Eddie is Maiden, so I think it's highly appropriate. 

What's more, the name is timeless.  The tour is about the "golden years".  For example, a reference to Tailgunner would have been inappropriate on this tour.  Icarus Dream, also, is from Piece of Mind, but the focus is supposed to be on the albums after that.  Aces High is the only reference I think could have been appropriate, given that it is pretty much an iconic song of that era, as well as a great opener.  However, even that would have been obsolete next tour.  With Ed Force One, the band can use the name (if they so wish) on later tours if they still use one plane.

And why did 15 people choose the same?  Well, great minds think alike, don't they? :)

Here here!
Precisely, I  would have thought it would have been uninspired to name the plane after a song or the like. Like I said before, Air Force One is known around the world and is a historical plane, is this not a historical tour? Are the passengers not very important persons? :D

Invader said:

Let's agree to disagree then

Nothing great about unoriginal herd mentality :p

Eddies Wingman said:
You're not the only one, Invader. I like it too, maybe because I have always had a weakness for playing with words ...

Same here, excellent name. And 15 people is not much, I guess.

C'mon Ardius,

the flag Bruce waved at Ozzfest was from which country ? Poland ? And what about The Trooper ? It's about The Crimean War and I bet you they didn't pay tribute to the Ottoman Empire. in that song.

I'm not saying they are the embodiment of Britain but I do say they are 90% British "sweat, glory and tears" (let's say 10% goes to Nicko's years playing for French act Trust).

The name of the plane should have to do with the band, songs,Britain (if you look right under the cockpit of that 757 you will see a British flag)...usually a commercial  plane carries the flag of the country of origin...

cheers

InfiniteDreamer said:
C'mon Ardius,

the flag Bruce waved at Ozzfest was from which country ? Poland ? And what about The Trooper ? It's about The Crimean War and I bet you they didn't pay tribute to the Ottoman Empire. in that song.

I'm not saying they are the embodiment of Britain but I do say they are 90% British "sweat, glory and tears" (let's say 10% goes to Nicko's years playing for French act Trust).

The name of the plane should have to do with the band, songs,Britain (if you look right under the cockpit of that 757 you will see a British flag)...usually a commercial  plane carries the flag of the country of origin...

cheers

Yes, it's not like Iron Maiden has ever written songs about other countries, cultures, or national traditions, is it?

Back