Early IRON MAIDEN Keyboardist Says He Wasn't Right For Band

A

Anonymous

Ian Nathanson of Metro Toronto is reporting that British singer-songwriter Tony Moore — who has found a niche as a key live venue manager in London with The Kashmir Klub and later The Bedford — served a short-lived tenure two decades ago as keyboardist for IRON MAIDEN.

"I didn't leave the band because I didn’t like anyone and I didn't leave because I didn't believe in these guys," Moore told Metro Toronto. "I knew that I wasn't right for the band. And they never hired another keyboard player again."

Read more at www.metronews.ca
http://www.metronews.ca/entertainment_music_detail.asp?id=16642

tkanx to Blabbermouth

That's not exactly new news, it's been known since well...since he left the band, (since he first played with the band if you think about it.)

It's documented in the Early Days DVD, although Steve claims that he left because keyboards didn't fit with Maiden's style of music, which amounts to the same reasons Moore gives.  In fact, I think he had replaced one of the early guitarists before he left?  Or maybe I've got muddled up... :help:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but here's the way I think it went. The band needed a new guitarist to replace one who had just left. Tony Moore and a guitarist joined the band and played a few gigs. They realized that the keyboard thing wouldn't work out so Tony left the band. The guitarist insisted that he couldn't play without keyboards so he too left the band. 

That’s interesting. I met Paul Day a few years ago and he said he co-wrote Strange World.
Pretty sure thats true. The credits should be something like this: Wrathchild, Innocent Exile and Iron Maiden by Rance/Harris/Sullivan, Strange World by Harris/Day, Charlotte the Harlot and Prowler by Dennis Willcock/Harris, Santuary by Bob Sawyer, Phantom of the Opera by Moore/Harris, Ides of March by Thunderstick/Moore/Harris. I think Terry Wapram wrote a track too, cant remember which one. Im sure that Adrian had some input on Killers, Janick Gers wrote Bring your Daughter and Blaze wrote a bunch of Brave New World tracks. If Eternity Should Fail could be a Dickinson/Roy Z track!

Last edited:
There's something to that. It's stolen, but the idea was also spun out at exactly the right spot to make it a notch better.

Pretty sure thats true. The credits should be something like this: Wrathchild, Innocent Exile and Iron Maiden by Rance/Harris/Sullivan, Strange World by Harris/Day, Charlotte the Harlot and Prowler by Dennis Willcock/Harris, Santuary by Bob Sawyer, Phantom of the Opera by Moore/Harris, Ides of March by Thunderstick/Moore/Harris. I think Terry Wapram wrote a track too, cant remember which one. Im sure that Adrian had some input on Killers, Janick Gers wrote Bring your Daughter and Blaze wrote a bunch of Brave New World tracks. If Eternity Should Fail could be a Dickinson/Roy Z track!

*Bookmarked for later use.

If Charlotte the Harlot is by Dennis Wilcock /Harris then why it's credited solely to Dave?

Pretty sure thats true. The credits should be something like this: Wrathchild, Innocent Exile and Iron Maiden by Rance/Harris/Sullivan, Strange World by Harris/Day, Charlotte the Harlot and Prowler by Dennis Willcock/Harris, Santuary by Bob Sawyer, Phantom of the Opera by Moore/Harris, Ides of March by Thunderstick/Moore/Harris. I think Terry Wapram wrote a track too, cant remember which one. Im sure that Adrian had some input on Killers
Prowler (Harris) [lyrics by Dennis Willcock, uncredited; music contributions by Dave Sullivan & Terry Rance, uncredited]
Running Free (Harris/Di’anno) [“drum pattern” by Doug Sampson, uncredited]
Phantom Of The Opera (Harris) [lyrics by Dennis Willcock, music at least partially by Terry Wapram, Tony Moore, and apparently Barry Purkis, uncredited]
Transylvania (Harris) [used to have lyrics by D. Willcock; musical contributions by D. Sullivan & T. Rance, uncredited]
Strange World (Harris) [lyrics by Paul Day, uncredited, music contributions by Dave Sullivan, Terry Rance and Ron Matthews, uncredited]
Charlotte The Harlot (Murray) [lyrics by Dennis Willcock, uncredited]
Iron Maiden (Harris) [music by Dave Sullivan and Terry Rance, lyrics contribution by Dennis Willcock, uncredited]
Sanctuary (Iron Maiden) [written by Bob Sawyer, sold to Iron Maiden]
The Ides of March (Harris) [and Barry Purkis, uncredited; initial melody idea by Tony Moore, uncredited]
Wrathchild (Harris) [music contributions by Dave Sullivan & Terry Rance, uncredited]
Innocent Exile (Harris) [music contributions by Dave Sullivan & Terry Rance, uncredited]
afaik

Prowler (Harris) [lyrics by Dennis Willcock, uncredited; music contributions by Dave Sullivan & Terry Rance, uncredited]
Running Free (Harris/Di’anno) [“drum pattern” by Doug Sampson, uncredited]
Phantom Of The Opera (Harris) [lyrics by Dennis Willcock, music at least partially by Terry Wapram, Tony Moore, and apparently Barry Purkis, uncredited]
Transylvania (Harris) [used to have lyrics by D. Willcock; musical contributions by D. Sullivan & T. Rance, uncredited]
Strange World (Harris) [lyrics by Paul Day, uncredited, music contributions by Dave Sullivan, Terry Rance and Ron Matthews, uncredited]
Charlotte The Harlot (Murray) [lyrics by Dennis Willcock, uncredited]
Iron Maiden (Harris) [music by Dave Sullivan and Terry Rance, lyrics contribution by Dennis Willcock, uncredited]
Sanctuary (Iron Maiden) [written by Bob Sawyer, sold to Iron Maiden]
The Ides of March (Harris) [and Barry Purkis, uncredited; initial melody idea by Tony Moore, uncredited]
Wrathchild (Harris) [music contributions by Dave Sullivan & Terry Rance, uncredited]
Innocent Exile (Harris) [music contributions by Dave Sullivan & Terry Rance, uncredited]

Small artists copy, big artists steal huh?

*Bookmarked for later use.

If Charlotte the Harlot is by Dennis Wilcock /Harris then why it's credited solely to Dave?

Sorry, that should be Wilcock/Murray.

I'm sure the songwriting thing happens alot with debut albums. In the case of Iron Maiden and Killers, Terry Rance, Dave Sullivan, Tony Moore, Paul Day, Dennis Wilcock, Barry Purkis, Terry Wapram, Bob Sawver and Doug Sampson should reviece some praise for their contributions. Somewhat odd to see Dennis Stratton nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as he was basically a glorified session/touring member of the band, relying on material written by the 1976-1979 lineups.

Last edited:
Paul Di'Anno should be included imo, his voice marked an era. Many middle aged metalheads consider the first 2 among the finest ever made. Poor Blaze. He should be included too.

Paul Di'Anno should be included imo, his voice marked an era. Many middle aged metalheads consider the first 2 among the finest ever made. Poor Blaze. He should be included too.
As a performer Paul was very important to Iron Maiden. Paul didn't do much in terms of songwriting, he altered some lyrics in Running Free, Remember Tomorrow and Killers. Creatively, Blaze Bayley way more important to the band as he kept them alive with his contributions for a few years.

Last edited:
Small artists copy, big artists steal huh?
I wouldn't say "steal", when it's about ex-members, more like "conveniently forget" for example, e.g.

(And I'd really like to know why sometimes I can quote a post from a different thread and sometimes I can't and have to use lame links).

But yes, while different bands might have a different approach to crediting things like "a drum pattern", or a riff here or there, much of the old members contribution was unknown until recently.

And I'm not even mentioning the Paul Cairns case...

Back