Drifter Live + one and Sanctuary B-Side

Big G

Invader
The Sanctuary B-side of Drifter is different to the one on Live + One, but there are two versions of this track, they are both the same recording but one is edited, and altered, could you tell me if one of these is on the Live + One recording, and if it is which one, cos I dont think it is the one that says " you load of Wankers"

Havn't listened to it for ages, but if my memory serves me correctly, just before 'Phantom...' Paul says "this is a song he wants to do....stuck up bastard". Could this be what you mean? (not 'Drifter', but it is on 'Live+one'.)

[!--QuoteBegin-Welsh Phantom+Dec 23 2005, 01:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Welsh Phantom @ Dec 23 2005, 01:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Havn't listened to it for ages, but if my memory serves me correctly, just before 'Phantom...' Paul says "this is a song he wants to do....stuck up bastard". Could this be what you mean? (not 'Drifter', but it is on 'Live+one'.)
[snapback]125717[/snapback]​
[/quote]
No, thanks for replying though, the version of phantom you are talking about is on Live + One and the 12" single of Women In Uniform, I am trying to get the difference between the Drifter versions of the two, thanks all the same.

I'm sure I'd remember if there was any mention of 'wankers' on 'Live+one', and this doesn't ring any bells. In fact, I've never heard of an unedited version, and I have all the vinyls (7", 12" and L.P., including imports) up until 'Fear...'. However, I don't listen to the vinyls anymore as I've got all the cds (apart from 'Live+one'). I would put money on the 'Live+one' version being the edited one, if a different one exists. Hope this helps!

[!--QuoteBegin-drum1707+Dec 23 2005, 09:53 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drum1707 @ Dec 23 2005, 09:53 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I am trying to get the difference between the Drifter versions of the two, thanks all the same.
[snapback]125737[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I'm not certain they're the same version, they sound quite alike, but Pauls introduction is different and there's no Maiden chants at the start of the Live+one version.

The first dave Murray guitar solo is not in the Sanctuary version, either is the repetition of the second verse.

There's a very dodgy sounding part on the Sanctuary version, sounds like the crowd are overdubbed in, at the start of the singalong section, you can hear Paul says something like "get your hands up (some extra words that I cant make out)" which is not on the Live+one version.

There's probably tons of ad-libs from Paul and various other feedback noises etc. which are different too if was someone bothered to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Also at the end paul says thank you good night, without being interrupted by Steve on the live + one version.

at the start of the singalong section, you can hear Paul says something like "get your hands up (some extra words that I cant make out)" which is not on the Live+one version.

Paul says "get your hands off me daughter" and then the crowd cheers/laughs.

By the way, I understood the original post to mean that even though there are 2 different versions of Drifter (recorded different nights), on Sanctuary and live+one, there is rumoured to be an unedited version of one of these 'Drifter's where Paol calls someone a 'Wanker', and is this on either record.

[!--QuoteBegin-Welsh Phantom+Dec 26 2005, 03:51 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Welsh Phantom @ Dec 26 2005, 03:51 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]at the start of the singalong section, you can hear Paul says something like "get your hands up (some extra words that I cant make out)" which is not on the Live+one version.
Paul says "get your hands off me daughter" and then the crowd cheers/laughs.

By the way, I understood the original post to mean that even though there are 2 different versions of Drifter (recorded different nights), on Sanctuary and live+one, there is rumoured to be an unedited version of one of these 'Drifter's where Paol calls someone a 'Wanker', and is this on either record.
[snapback]125864[/snapback]​
[/quote]
On the original U.K. 7" of Sanctuary the version of Drifter has a slow guitar solo after the first chorus, then it builds back to the main riff and repeats the first verse again. It is on this version he says wanker.

On the Dutch import of the Sanctuary 12" and also on Best of the B-sides Drifter are the same versions, But do not have the Parts i have just mentioned on the U.K. 7"

[!--QuoteBegin-drum1707+Dec 26 2005, 06:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drum1707 @ Dec 26 2005, 06:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]On the original U.K. 7" of Sanctuary the version of Drifter has a slow guitar solo after the first chorus, then it builds back to the main riff and repeats the first verse again. It is on this version he says wanker.

On the Dutch import of the Sanctuary 12" and also on Best of the B-sides Drifter are the same versions, But do not have the Parts i have just mentioned on the U.K. 7"
[snapback]125872[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Then I think that the answer to your original question is "neither", as 'Drifter' on 'live+one' is recorded on a different night to the 'Sanctuary' b-side(s). I have the 7" and 12" Dutch import and they have a different versiom of 'Drifter' to that on 'Live+one'. I remember that the version on 'Live+one' has a different crowd participation section for sure (the yo-yo-yo bits), even though I haven't listened to 'Live+one' in ages.

[!--QuoteBegin-Welsh Phantom+Dec 26 2005, 06:47 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Welsh Phantom @ Dec 26 2005, 06:47 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Then I think that the answer to your original question is "neither", as 'Drifter' on 'live+one' is recorded on a different night to the 'Sanctuary' b-side(s). I have the 7" and 12" Dutch import and they have a different versiom of 'Drifter' to that on 'Live+one'. I remember that the version on 'Live+one' has a different crowd participation section for sure (the yo-yo-yo bits), even though I haven't listened to 'Live+one' in ages.
[snapback]125874[/snapback]​
[/quote]

This is good stuff.

Just stuck on the seven inch, the vocals come in straight away after the first riff. ie. the part where it usually says Rock N roll is gone also the backing vocals are further up in the mix. The Dave Murrray solo comes straight in after the first verse.
Paul says "Can you sing? *crowd cheers* Ya load of wankers" at much the same point as the dodgy editted "get your hands of me daughter" bit mentioned above.

Either way they seem to be trying to sweep this version under the carpet, as it's not on the First Ten Years version or best of the b-sides. I checked the dutch 12 inch and it appears to be contemporary, ie. it says 1980 on it, but my vinyl is in the best condition I've ever seen for a "25" years old record.

[!--QuoteBegin-SRFC ULTRAS+Dec 26 2005, 07:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SRFC ULTRAS @ Dec 26 2005, 07:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This is good stuff.

Just stuck on the seven inch, the vocals come in straight away after the first riff. ie. the part where it usually says Rock N roll is gone also the backing vocals are further up in the mix.  The Dave Murrray solo comes straight in after the first verse.
Paul says "Can you sing? *crowd cheers* Ya load of wankers" at much the same point as the dodgy editted "get your hands of me daughter" bit mentioned above.

Either way they seem to be trying to sweep this version under the carpet, as it's not on the First Ten Years version or best of the b-sides. I checked the dutch 12 inch and it appears to be contemporary, ie. it says 1980 on it, but my vinyl is in the best condition I've ever seen for a "25" years old record.
[snapback]125876[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Can't check it as my turntable is dismantled, but I believe ya!
Damn, I never ever noticed the difference between the 7" and 12" versions. I seem to remember always playing the 12" version as it seemed to be louder!
Anyway, so Maiden toyed with a live track way before Bruce's 'Remember Tomorrow' (live Maiden Japan with redone vocals)? As you said, great stuff! I've just found out something new about records I've had for twenty-odd years!

[!--QuoteBegin-SRFC ULTRAS+Dec 26 2005, 07:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SRFC ULTRAS @ Dec 26 2005, 07:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This is good stuff.

Just stuck on the seven inch, the vocals come in straight away after the first riff. ie. the part where it usually says Rock N roll is gone also the backing vocals are further up in the mix.  The Dave Murrray solo comes straight in after the first verse.

[snapback]125876[/snapback]​
[/quote]
At last someone else has noticed the difference.

I thought i was going mad.

[!--QuoteBegin-drum1707+Dec 26 2005, 10:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drum1707 @ Dec 26 2005, 10:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]At last someone else has noticed the difference.

[snapback]125900[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Hats off to you mate!

[!--QuoteBegin-drum1707+Dec 26 2005, 10:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drum1707 @ Dec 26 2005, 10:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]At last someone else has noticed the difference.

[snapback]125900[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I'd never even listened to the 7 inch before seeing as I had the CD version before it, I'd just assumed it would be the same.

Both versions released seem to be edits, I presume the original edit on the 7 inch was so they'd have room for 2 tracks on the b-side, and it definitely looks like they tried to cover up Paul saying wankers. But it doesn't explain why they changed the other parts that are different, there's a complete verse missing on the 7 Inch and a complete solo section missing from the 12 Inch, but when did the 12 Inch version actually appear?
There was no UK 12 Inch until the first 10 Years, and I'm very suspicious about the date on the dutch 12 Inch, because my copy at least is in too good condition to be 25 years old.
Also, what version of Drifter is on the cassette single, which appeared a few years later.

[!--QuoteBegin-SRFC ULTRAS+Dec 27 2005, 10:48 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SRFC ULTRAS @ Dec 27 2005, 10:48 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'd never even listened to the 7 inch before seeing as I had the CD version before it, I'd just assumed it would be the same.

Both versions released seem to be edits, I presume the original edit on the 7 inch was so they'd have room for 2 tracks on the b-side, and it definitely looks like they tried to cover up Paul saying wankers. But it doesn't explain why they changed the other parts that are different, there's a complete verse missing on the 7 Inch and a complete solo section missing from the 12 Inch, but when did the 12 Inch version actually appear?
There was no UK 12 Inch until the first 10 Years, and I'm very suspicious about the date on the dutch 12 Inch, because my copy at least is in too good condition to be 25 years old.
Also, what version of Drifter is on the cassette single, which appeared a few years later.
[snapback]125917[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think I bought the Dutch 12" in 82, brand new. (Got it signed by Steve and Adrian in 86!)

[!--QuoteBegin-Welsh Phantom+Dec 27 2005, 12:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Welsh Phantom @ Dec 27 2005, 12:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think I bought the Dutch 12" in 82, brand new. (Got it signed by Steve and Adrian in 86!)
[snapback]125919[/snapback]​
[/quote]

A guy on the maiden board says he got his in 83 as well, so we can say that the date of 1980 is probably right, I must have just got a reprint or something.

[!--QuoteBegin-SRFC ULTRAS+Dec 27 2005, 12:28 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SRFC ULTRAS @ Dec 27 2005, 12:28 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]A guy on the maiden board says he got his in 83 as well, so we can say that the date of 1980 is probably right, I must have just got a reprint or something.
[snapback]125920[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Where did you buy it (shop, ebay, trade etc), cos mines been in a plastic protective sleeve since I bought it and so is still like new to this day. They do exist in pristine condition even after all this time, so maybe yours is old too!

[!--QuoteBegin-Welsh Phantom+Dec 27 2005, 12:36 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Welsh Phantom @ Dec 27 2005, 12:36 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Where did you buy it (shop, ebay, trade etc), cos mines been in a plastic protective sleeve since I bought it and so is still like new to this day. They do exist in pristine condition even after all this time, so maybe yours is old too!
[snapback]125922[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Got it on ebay. It probably is a good condition version, as the cardboard on the inside is gone yellowy.

Back