DREAM THEATER ALBUMS SURVIVOR 2017: Results -> Images & Words wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I have no idea what y'all are talking about, that's by far the best DT drum sound.

I really have a hard time understanding your taste in drum sounds NP. I've seen you call out Metallica's Black Album for having a bad drum sound, and now I see you calling Images and Words the best DT drum sound.

Black Album's drum sound is really unpleasant to the ear when listening on headphones. At least to me. While I&W's one is one of the most pleasant ones. It's hard to explain. What would be your examples?

Black Album has a great drum sound, the issue is the mixing. The sound of the drums themselves are immense.

The mix on I&W is decent, but the drum sound is a little thin and the snare drum sample replacement/triggers are quite bad. Great playing, not the best sound.

Black Album's drum sound is really unpleasant to the ear when listening on headphones. At least to me. While I&W's one is one of the most pleasant ones. It's hard to explain. What would be your examples?

Black Album's drums is the best thing on that record. The recording is ridiculously crisp. The drums sound absolutely huge. The drums give the album that catchy, simple but hard hitting edge it has. I&W has a fake snare drum sound and the drums sound very thin overall. It sounds like a drum machine, which really undermines Portnoy's playing. Awake has the best drum sound in the band's discography.

I don't listen to music on anything besides headphones so that argument makes no difference for me.

Iryo. IMO I&W drums are anything but thin, most hard hitting of all Dream Theater albums if you ask me. As much as it sounds crazy to everyone else here but me, that's my favorite drum sound ever, of all bands. Apart from ADTOE DT always had solid drum sound. Awake is OK but definitely not the best.

Back