Doom Metal

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
1) If black and death metal have their own threads, then doom has to have one too!

2) Mostly inspired to open the thread to post this, because it's pretty unique:

Swallow the Sun are all set to release their dark triple full-length album on November 13th, 2015.

Each of the three albums of “Songs from the North I, II & III” embodies the band’s unofficial band motto, “Gloom, Beauty & Despair”:
Songs from the North I” continues in the vein of the albums before it – first-rate death-doom in the typical style of the band.
Songs from the North II” is a beautiful, acoustic foray representing the group’s ability to unplug and revel in the darkness.
Songs from the North III” is the most extreme album, a complete ride into SWALLOW THE SUN’s most horrific abyss of finely-crafted, conscience-crushing funeral doom.

The only other triple album I can think of is The Clash's Sandinista! and that was 35 years ago! Really excited for this.

For those interested in the band, here's a song from each of their previous 5 albums:

Last edited:
That sounds awesome! There was a jazz triple album released this year called The Epic. It's intense. No other triple albums I can think of off the top of my head though. Looking forward to hearing that.

I've slowly been getting into doom metal. Every now and again I'll come across something I like, but I have to be in the right mood for it. I like Electric Wizard and this newer band called Poisoned By Life: https://poisonedbylife.bandcamp.com/

Intersting idea a triple album. To be honest, I'm not that fond of the vocals on most of these clips. That song you recently played, Night Prowler, which album was that? Sounded more impressive to me.

You mean the one in the Now Playing thread? That's the first one from the above post :)

Tried their first album last night, really enjoyed it. Will slowly wade through their discography before this new one is out.

First album is probably the least diverse (but still pretty awesome), it's pretty much straightforward melodic death/doom metal. Later on they experimented more with keyboards, female vocals, more clean vocals, some acoustic songs, some faster black metalish riffs and blast beats etc.

I'm sorry for not elaborating on the bands I'm about to drop, but I don't really know much about them. :p I just like what I'm hearing and maybe some doom metal fans will be interested.

From the lightest to the heaviest!

(My favourite out of these. I can even hear a particle of Maiden in this.)
(Haven't heard the full album but people say it's good.)
(Ridiculously heavy, but still interestingly melodic.)

I recently came across a German band called Grimmage, who released their debut album earlier this year. They're on the stoner/sludge side of the doom spectrum, and they have an excellent vocalist. Definitely worth a listen.

Apple Music just recommended to me the new album, Night Creeper, by a band called Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. I am four songs in, and it is completely awesome. Very heavy Sabbath sound, with great riffs and hooks. The songs are diverse too.

I've not heard of this artist before and almost ignored the recommendation because the band's name is so stupid. But I'm glad I checked it out. This is what I have been looking for from newer bands for a long time. Will also check out their back catalog, but Night Creeper is highly recommended to everyone in this forum. You'll like it.

Uncle Acid were great supporting Sabbath when I saw them in 2013.

I have yet to hear their new album, but their last album has some great tracks like "Devil's Work" and "Poision Apple".

Last edited:
I need to post some classic DOOM....I love all of the new recommendations though. But this is as classic as Don't Break The Oath or Powerslave.....Just in the DOOM metal genre. From 1984.... Trouble: :D

Last edited:
Starts Great! (playing now).
edit: Perfect! Haunting, sad melody. I like the calm guitar work, the singing and the end even has a solo. Marvellous.
edit 2: Yesterday:

Last edited:
Gonna review MDB and Draconian later tonight, thanks for reminding me. Already heard Avatarium... solid album but not really memorable apart from the insanely catchy title track.

I heard the MDB one last night. I am impressed, especially by the first half! Rest is a bit more difficult, but to me it already feels as if this one is more pleasant than the last six albums.

Back