Don't kill me for saying this...

In my opinion, Bruce had his zenith in the late nineties and early 2000s. Just listen to the live albums and bootlegs from that era. What he did on the Accident in Brazil show in 1997 and on Scream for Me Brazil is simply phenomenal.
Agreed. Live he was superb around that time, and I think Bruce sounds best (especially when singing high) on Brave New World.
What happened in the late eighties and early nineties, on the other hand, is that Bruce was very worn-out from the gruelling world tours they took. If you listen to some of the latter gigs from the Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son tours, his performance really is pretty bad.
Yes, but I'm not sure how Bruce would do the SIT and SSOASS songs that they haven't done for ages.
Perhaps that's the reason why Infinite Dreams, CSIT and Sea of Madness did not return since the 1980s.
I guess he adopted his infamous "raspy" style that you can hear on the Tattooed Millionaire, No Prayer and Fear of the Dark albums to somehow combat this and do less of the physically straining performances. Then, on later recordings such as Fear of the Dark, A Real Live Dead/One, he simply doesn't care very much anymore.
I wouldn't say he did not care much anymore on Fear of the Dark. Even on tour in 1992, he really went for it.
I remember footage from Headbanger's Ball, a recording from Hallowed at Donington and he was so much into it (different camera angles from the official video release). And their concert footage from Mexico, 1992 doesn't need any explanation either. What an energy!
I guess he couldn't sing higher, and was already used to (or content with) his choice of the rougher vocals.
This is very apparent on the Real Live tour bootlegs and Raising Hell. When he had a couple of solo albums and tours behind him, he obviously found a lot of new joy in doing what he did, which explains the very big difference in the quality of his performance on Balls to Picasso (where he was obviously still shaken from his Maiden experience, and probably also annoyed with the recording process)
I'm not too sure about annoyance on the recording process of Balls to Picasso. I see that record as a phase where Bruce is recharging, searching for something new. He tries out new things and even though his voice still sounded raspy at times, he sang some beautiful stuff. Let's not forget the Skunkworks album. A very motivated, passionate Bruce. He did not sing or scream high that often but he sings beautifully. Back from the Edge contains some of the most beautiful vocals (and lyrics!) he ever did. Whatever the outcome (lack of success), this record was a big thing for him while making it, and that's certainly audible, I think.
and Accident of Birth (which he did just for the heck of it).
Err, you might say, he wanted to return to the "simple" formula again, hoping for more success. But I never noticed that he sounds like he did it just for the heck of it.
This is of course, all pure speculation, and I'm expecting a point-by-point Forostar rebuttal soon. ;)
It wasn't soon, but who cares. ;)

now his voice has aged a bit too much for him to pull off all the difficult numbers anymore.
There is an interesting post somewhere in the current tour thread that explains this is why they dropped Hallowed from the setlist.

That's an interesting theory... but I have a hard time believing something like
Aces High is easier on his voice than Hallowed

Well, the wife and I saw them last night at the Bristow/DC show. Phenomenal performance, however I DID notice that Bruce really seemed to be having a hard time with some songs. Not sure if it was the heat, or if he's been like this all tour. His shrieks were amazing, but on songs that have notes that are held longer, he really couldn't hold it for very long. Still, Bruce on one of his not-so-better days is still 100% better than any other vocalist I can think of.

That's exactly what I heard at the first show in Charlotte.

I think singing live is such a difficult thing and very few "high octane" guys are able to come off the same in person as they do in the studio.

I think/hope a big part of his performance this tour was simply due to how outlandishly hot it's been in the southeast recently. The heat index was over 100F at the concert I saw, and they certainly didn't slow down any. That has to take something out of Bruce's breath.

That and the fact that he's getting older. I mean, compare the vocals on The Final Frontier and A Matter of Life and Death. I think AMOLAD kicks TFF ass vocally (I like the album better too. Though the production is better on TFF. The drum sound is awesome). The belting is noticably better on AMOLAD.

That and the fact that he's getting older. I mean, compare the vocals on The Final Frontier and A Matter of Live and Death. I think AMOLAD kicks TFF ass vocally (I like the album better too. Though the production is better on TFF. The drum sound is awesome). The belting is noticably better on AMOLAD.

I agree with this to a point, however most of TFF sounds deliberate. When he finally opens up wide on "The Talisman" it's as if all his years melt away in that song, and I don't know of any songs on AMOLAD that open up quite like that.

I agree with this to a point, however most of TFF sounds deliberate. When he finally opens up wide on "The Talisman" it's as if all his years melt away in that song, and I don't know of any songs on AMOLAD that open up quite like that.
That is some fine belting indeed, all the way through the song.

Different World's got pretty damn good vocals in the chorus as well, and Out of the Shadows' chorus features some great belting too.

I totally disagree about TFF being deliberate though - Could be that he didn't work hard enough. Mother of Mercy's chorus is atrocious by Bruce's standards. Sounds more like a rough demo in terms of vocal performance.

It sounds like Bruce has a cold on the chorus to 'Mother of Mercy'. I don't know what the deal is there, because he sounds goddamned incredible on 'The Talisman'. Maybe it's just the particular words in the lyrics that make him sound like that? I dunno.

It sounds like Bruce has a cold on the chorus to 'Mother of Mercy'. I don't know what the deal is there, because he sounds goddamned incredible on 'The Talisman'. Maybe it's just the particular words in the lyrics that make him sound like that? I dunno.
No, it's not because of the lyrics. It's just Bruce straining terribly (cold is a possibility as t why he's straining, but I think he's straining more often overall) I really think he should have spent more time on it or changed the vocal line.

The whole strained vocal issue on Mother of Mercy is definitely strange, especially when compared to the overwhelming vocals on The Talisman which easily rival any of Bruce's other performances.

The whole strained vocal issue on Mother of Mercy is definitely strange, especially when compared to the overwhelming vocals on The Talisman which easily rival any of Bruce's other performances.
Not to mention the En Vivo DVD is amazing from what I've seen. Currently watching The Talisman on Youtube and will definitely order the DVD - Finally.

Not to mention the En Vivo DVD is amazing from what I've seen. Currently watching The Talisman on Youtube and will definitely order the DVD - Finally.
I'd definitely recommend it! The concert footage is fantastic and I found Behind the Beast a really interesting watch as watch as well.

My thoughts are that maybe he holds back a little especially during the first half in a means to pace himself. Let's face it. The music is very taxing to sing. I do agree that it isn't always sharp live but it still is very very good. What amazes me is that by the time the last song comes along he sounds just as good if not better than the first.

I was at the Charlotte show as well, and i agree he seemed a bit strained at times............but good grief! not only are the songs very demanding of him, he is not only thinking of singing well.......we puts on one hell of a show, running and jumping throughout the ENTIRE show........now i have NEVER seen any performer do that EVER! I would rather his vocals be a tad off so he can be one helluva a showman, most guys that sing perfect every night are very boring to me!! He wants to put on a SHOW period and as far as i am concerned no one does it better than Bruce, even Dianno usually just stood around at the mic, give Bruce the props he deserves for the awesome showman that he is! UP THE IRONS!!

I was at the Charlotte show as well, and i agree he seemed a bit strained at times............but good grief! not only are the songs very demanding of him, he is not only thinking of singing well.......we puts on one hell of a show, running and jumping throughout the ENTIRE show........now i have NEVER seen any performer do that EVER! I would rather his vocals be a tad off so he can be one helluva a showman, most guys that sing perfect every night are very boring to me!! He wants to put on a SHOW period and as far as i am concerned no one does it better than Bruce, even Dianno usually just stood around at the mic, give Bruce the props he deserves for the awesome showman that he is! UP THE IRONS!!
Agree 110% ! One of the best front men in the business. energy is amazing. his voice live is incredible from beginning to end. There is not on member on that stage that is phoning it in.

Back