Doctor Doctor by UFO

If you are going to the show this summer be prpared to listen to the classic tune by UFO Doctor Doctor right before Maiden hits the stage. Thought it was very cool that Steve honors his hero Pete Way in that fashion. Awesome tune!!!

Erm ... sorry dude, but this is old news to many of us. Maiden has been playing "Doctor Doctor" through the PA right before their show for a few years now. At least since 2003 (that's the first time I specifically remember it).

But I suppose it's good to notify the new fans... if you're away from the stage when you hear "Doctor Doctor", get back to your seat right away!

SinisterMinisterX said:
Erm ... sorry dude, but this is old news to many of us. Maiden has been playing "Doctor Doctor" through the PA right before their show for a few years now. At least since 2003 (that's the first time I specifically remember it).

But I suppose it's good to notify the new fans... if you're away from the stage when you hear "Doctor Doctor", get back to your seat right away!

It's been since all their headlining shows starting (I think) in 1982.

Did they not use Mars, the Bringer of War for the AMOLAD tour?  And of course on RiR there's that Arthur's Farwell, dunno if that was used for that whole tour or not.

Doctor Doctor is always played before the lights go out and the intro starts...

SinisterMinisterX said:

Good advice, I never knew that. :)  Though I usually don't move an inch once the support band leaves the stage, and definitely will not do so during a Maiden gig. 

SinisterMinisterX said:
GuineaPig said:

I think SMX is right, and that they've been using it since the Give Me Ed tour 2003, (but only on a few gigs on the Early Days tour), and also on a few of the first tours. GuineaPig might be right that it was used in 1982, but not all shows since.

national acrobat said:
I think SMX is right, and that they've been using it since the Give Me Ed tour 2003, (but only on a few gigs on the Early Days tour), and also on a few of the first tours. GuineaPig might be right that it was used in 1982, but not all shows since.
I have boots from 1982 where they played it before "Murders.."  I think they've played it since then.  Not sure.

Perun said:
Doctor Doctor is always played before the lights go out and the intro starts...

At outdoor shows (where there is still some final fading sunlight as the sun sets), the lights go out before (or just as) "Doctor Doctor" starts.

Or at least, that's what happened in Albuquerque.

That's what they're doing on this tour.  They did it in the Bay Area, too.  Note also that Monty Python's "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" is their outro after the last song in the encore. 

Not sure if this is really a spoiler, but just in case -- don't stick around for a second encore.  There won't be one.  Head for your car and beat the rush.

GuineaPig said:
It most certainly was on the Piece of Mind tour and every tour since the Early Days, but not in-between. I do not recall it at the No Prayer tour.

Growing up, UFO and Maiden were my 2 favorite bands. I've never been nuts about Doctor Doctor, but there was something special about it cranking through the PA before Maiden hit the stage. It was truly awesome.

I found the Strangers in the Night LP on sale in a used record store for $0.25.  I bought it.  Interesting that the order of the tracks is very different than the tracklist on the CD currently in print. 

I suspect the following:

For a double vinyl album, the songs must be divided into 4 sets of approximately equal length. To do this, the order of songs (compared to the actual concert set list) may need to be changed.

For a CD, there is no such requirement, allowing the original set list order to be presented.

I am not saying this is the case for the UFO album, but it is one reasonable possibility.

Strangers is made up from a couple shows. The tracklist on the reissue was closer to thae actual setlist. On the original Strangers, Mother Mary and like 1 other song (This Kids) were recorded in studio because they needed the tracks to fill the double album.

Back